    Sounds like these places don't want you to stay long... Or maybe they
    are just trying to get you down to the level of possessions as their own
    people....

    Ron Hunter, Dec 9, 2005

  2. default

    Jer Guest

    NFG = Next Flight Guaranteed (counter to counter)

    An NFG parcel is hand inspected and placed the next plane headed to it's
    destination, even if that means someone else's parcel gets bumped. It's
    very expensive and the only difference between a NFG parcel and a
    passenger on that same flight is the parcel doesn't get in-flight
    service from a cabin attendant.

    Jer, Dec 9, 2005

  3. default

    cjcampbell Guest

    Nice, when it is available, safe from theft and not prohibitively
    expensive. Sometimes insurance is cheaper than shipping.

    Here in Laoag, for example, we have had several missionaries try to
    ship stuff home. Our office is full of their personal possessions. No
    one will take a large package in Laoag. We could get FedEx or DHL to
    ship back to the US if we can get the package to Manila, but that is a
    ten hour drive and someone only goes that way once every few months,
    usually by plane, so the package can't go.

    Souvenirs that missionaries buy in the northern Philippines are likely
    to end up being the most expensive souvenirs they will ever purchase.

    We do not go home until November next year, but Jane and I are already
    plotting our strategy how to get our stuff back home. Airline weight
    limits have been reduced AGAIN. At this rate we'll be lucky to walk on
    with a pocket camera. Then, too, having someplace to ship to would be
    nice. We sold our home before coming over here with the idea of
    returning to some climate more friendly to retirement. Current strategy
    is to ship to our daughter's house, but we will probably not actually
    get to see them for some time; and it does not solve the problem of
    moving our things from her house to our final destination. Still, the
    problem does not seem all that complicated, but watching what happens
    to the other missionaries does give us pause...

    cjcampbell, Dec 10, 2005
  4. Yeah, you are probably right.

    Michael Meissner, Dec 10, 2005
  5. default

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    Of course, I carry on my photography gear. Anyone who checks anything of
    value on an airline flight is a fool. If carrying on expensive equipment
    is not an option, either leave it at home or ship it via insured
    overnight mail.

    Shawn Hirn, Dec 12, 2005