  1. default

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Let me guess, military. Right?

    Ron Hunter, Dec 6, 2005

  2. default

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Humidity, we can match. The states along the Gulf Coast can match
    humidity with anyone, anywhere.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 6, 2005

  3. default

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Well, maybe a Gulfstream V.....

    Ron Hunter, Dec 6, 2005
  4. default

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Smaller planes, smaller seats, smaller storage areas. Ergo, weight and
    size limits will probably be in effect....

    Ron Hunter, Dec 6, 2005
  5. default

    ASAAR Guest

    Yep. Not too bad actually, except that it was for several months
    during a summer's hot spell, with the only neighbor being a "fly
    factory" that used rotting horsemeat to feed screwworm flies. Not a
    very lovely odor.

    ASAAR, Dec 6, 2005
  6. default

    spudnuty Guest

    I worked as a professional film maker for many years. As a camera
    assistant, cameraman, director and producer. My responsibility as
    assistant was the equipment. I watched all of our equipment being
    loaded and yes as above the treatment can be very rough. This all
    before the current security. I've seen cases drop off those conveyers
    they use to load the luggage on the plane. Imagine the drop from the
    belly of a 767 on to the tarmac. The worst we ever experienced was 5
    Anvil cases all had their clasps ripped off. You know that would have
    to take a train wreck, which is what I figured.
    So with that, loss and theft we carried our own insurance and never
    allowed any critical piece of equipment out of our sight. Mostly that
    worked but you can't carry on a Panaflex camera. I always carried on my
    own stuff and as above wrapped the strap around my leg. I did lose a
    very nice leather jacket that was on the seat next to me but that was
    at the airport.
    Richard

    spudnuty, Dec 6, 2005
  7. default

    Joan Guest

    Yay! You finally got here.

    Joan, Dec 7, 2005
  8. default

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Well, is should be mentioned that the military usually sites training
    facilities in 'challenging' spots. I met a lot of people in the Air
    Force who said they hated Texas, but had never visited the Gulf Coast,
    or the eastern areas of the state to see the more attractive areas.
    Judging by the view from a training facility most states would probably
    look as bad. And, yes, it DOES get hot here in the summer, but winters
    are usually quite mild.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 7, 2005
  9. default

    ASAAR Guest

    Even I don't know the real reason we (just one company) were sent
    there, but unlike some other exercises, this one wasn't for training
    purposes.

    ASAAR, Dec 7, 2005
  10. default

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Floyd L. Davidson writes
    Hi Floyd,

    While I haven't been to Barrow yet (it's on my list, for nesting birds
    some spring) I have taken these small planes in Alaska several times
    with full camera gear, hops like Juneau - Haines or ANC - King Salmon -
    Brooks or longer flights on small planes like from ANC to the Pribilof
    Islands. Typically using Pen Air or sometimes smaller charters like
    LAB or Wings or Katmai Air.

    What happens with the 12-20 sized passenger planes on say Pen Air is
    you request a "gate check" of your carry-on gear, which basically for
    us means the camera bags ... so you check your heavy gear at the
    counter and then your typical carry-on bag is handed to someone at the
    rear of the aircraft as you board who (hopefully) packs it carefully,
    then when you land you wait at the tail of the aircraft and pick it up
    before going into the terminal. We usually take the camera bodies out
    and wear them around our necks and stuff socks or gloves etc for extra
    padding for the lenses. This works out fine, at least so far.

    On the really small planes, 3-6 passenger charters like Katmai Air or
    LAB, you just watch carefully while the guy stuffs the gear somewhere
    snug, they are used to cameras etc and do a decent enough job.

    In other words, even in Alaska you can carry a full load of camera gear
    on these smaller planes if you plan ahead a bit.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Dec 7, 2005
  11. I was in full agreement... until you hit that last sentence and
    then I just busted up laughing. You describe how they won't let
    you carry on *anything*, and then say they will.

    If you don't stow it yourself and have access to it during the
    flight, it *isn't* carryon. That is true whether you hand it to
    them in the terminal, or as you board the plane.

    Whatever, getting to Barrow you'll fly a 737. There are two
    versions of the plane, some with smaller overhead bins which
    limit the size of carryon items (it has to fit under the seat,
    or they will take it at the gate and put it in the baggage
    hold). Also on intra-Alaska flights Alaska Airlines allows
    three 50 pound bags to be checked (as opposed to only two bags
    on intra-state flights). That's useful info if you do manage
    to make it to Barrow. And if you do, *make* *sure* you send
    me an email letting me know when you'll get here!!! Barrow is
    a very interesting place, and about 5 times more fun if you have
    someone to show you where to look. That is doubly true if the
    scheduled stay is short, though for your purposes you'll probably
    schedule more time than the average tourist does. And if you are
    into birding... this is dreamland! Any chance for next spring????

    Floyd Davidson, Dec 7, 2005
  12. default

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Bill wrote ...
    No I didn't, you misunderstood ... how about if I rephrase it as "even
    in Alaska you can transport a full load of camera gear on these smaller
    planes if you plan ahead a bit", specifically removing the most fragile
    items from your normal carry-on photo bag before doing a gate check of
    it, and keeping these items in a photo vest you wear. "Carry" didn't
    mean "carry-on luggage", it just meant "lug it up there" ...
    I'm trying to arrange something a bit more off the beaten path, to
    Gambell near Siberia, flying from Nome. But it's hard to set it up
    lodging and ATV rental since there's almost no tourist infrastructure
    .... will probably go back to the Pribilofs in July instead, maybe
    Barrow in a year or two. If I do I'll give you a call :)

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Dec 7, 2005
  13. Okay, carry on by filling your pockets is indeed carry on!

    Before I retired I used to pretty much get away with carrying a
    camera around my neck and often a small case that would just fit
    a camera and one lense. (Plus an aluminum "clip board" case with
    paper work...).

    There is a vast difference between a chartered airplane and a
    scheduled passenger service. Different rules apply.

    For *important* things... I carried a small survival kit on
    a string around my neck.
    Gambell is really interesting too, though not like Barrow
    perhaps. I haven't been there in more than 15 years, so can't
    provide any pointers on who to deal with. I used to stay with
    the mother of the Bering Air agent. She was bit older than me,
    but we had both lived on the Kuskokwim River (Bethel area) in
    the 60's and 70's, so it was very pleasant.

    Nome is only fun if you're an alcoholic.

    Barrow has everything one needs (for non-alcoholics), and you
    could even spend every night in a hotel room if you want.
    Finding an ATV wouldn't be hard, and moreover it isn't even an
    absolute requirement because you can get good pictures from the
    three roads that extend out of town (an ATV would make for more
    variety though).

    Barrow hosts a large number of birders (most of whom are
    photographers too of course) every spring. There's plenty of
    room, but you wouldn't be close to unique.

    Heh, but *I* can show you where to get the best food! Not to
    mention spend your idle time (?) swapping yarns with an
    assortment of interesting folks... who will both pick your
    brain about technical details of what you do and provide you
    with pointers on what you might see and where to go here.

    Floyd Davidson, Dec 7, 2005
  14. default

    Donald Gray Guest

    18 months ago...And again in about 4 months .. we wil see!

    Donald Gray, Dec 7, 2005
  15. default

    Charles Self Guest

    Atlanta is a monster airport, but half the time coming through from a small
    terminal (E gates?) to the baggage area, my bags have been waiting on the
    carousel when I got there. The crowds were so massive on time that the bags
    had been pulled off and put in the left luggage office!

    Charles Self, Dec 8, 2005
  16. default

    Jer Guest

    huh? I've used NFG transport many times on many different airlines,
    I've never been told that.

    Jer, Dec 8, 2005
  17. Regardless of what they might or might not claim, I wouldn't
    trust *any* airline to ship freight on a schedule! Anything
    that *has* to be there when I arrive is either preshipped far
    enough in advance to verify it has arrived, or goes as either
    carry on if possible or as checked baggage otherwise.

    I'm astounded that anyone would think air freight is more
    reliable and less prone to theft than checked baggage anyway...

    Floyd Davidson, Dec 9, 2005
  18. default

    cjcampbell Guest

    You have to be selective and it depends a lot on the airline and where
    you are going. Currently I am doing an 18 month stint in the
    Philippines as a missionary, quite possibly the worst case scenario for
    luggage. When at home I travel a lot to Central America and the
    Caribbean; less often to Europe.

    For me, my camera/computer bag is my only carry-on. Even that is likely
    to be too heavy to meet the requirements of regional carriers in many
    countries, so I have to choose which lenses get packed in the luggage.
    But Philippine Airlines will not even let me carry my camera bag even
    though it is only about 2/3 the size of a regulation carry-on, so I end
    up carrying the camera in my hand (not around my neck) and the computer
    in a Neoprene slipcase. The camera bag gets checked at the loading
    gate, which means I control it for as long as possible and it also
    means I don't have to pay for an extra checked bag.

    The situation is rapidly worsening with the fuel crunch. In the last
    couple of months I have seen weight limits drop drastically, even for
    checked luggage. A body with a couple of lenses and bag can easily
    reach 25 pounds. If you plan to be on the road for several months, that
    means you are beginning to have choose between camera and clothes. Of
    course, for the longer legs I fly business class which usually gives me
    a larger luggage allowance, but that does not help me with the regional
    flights, which are usually the limiting factor. Some of these carriers
    allow less than 45 pounds total checked and carry-on!

    cjcampbell, Dec 9, 2005
  19. default

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Delta Dash and A/A 'Priority Parcel' services, usually associated with
    the ticket counter areas.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 9, 2005
  20. default

    Ron Hunter Guest

    It may be more reliable, given that it is handled differently. But I
    wouldn't expect it to be treated much more gently, since it ships as
    baggage, on a specified flight...

    Ron Hunter, Dec 9, 2005