    When going on a public airline, do you carefully pack your dSLR in your
    checked baggage, or do you try to get it into the carry-on?

    Thanks.

    default, Dec 2, 2005

  2. default

    Scott W Guest

    I carry it on, no way am I going to check it.

    Scott

    Scott W, Dec 2, 2005

  3. default

    PTravel Guest

    Never, never, never, never, never place valuables in checked bags. Never.
    Ever.

    I can't be any clearer than that.

    Read the Conditions of Carriage of any airline. Most exclude camera
    equipment (and jewelery and other valuables) and, in any event, severely
    limit liability,

    Don't place valuables in checked bags.

    Don't do it.

    PTravel, Dec 2, 2005
  4. default

    Scott W Guest

    Ok but what are you trying to say, is it ok or not to check it?

    Scott

    Scott W, Dec 2, 2005
  5. default

    default Guest

    Thanks for the response. I was wondering if it might be safer in checked
    when considering a long international flight where you might be asleep and
    the bag is in the overhead compartment. Certainly I would not take it out
    of the bag to take a picture through the window so that someone would see me
    with the camera, but I am not completey comfortable with it in the carry-on
    either.

    Thanks

    default, Dec 2, 2005
  6. default

    default Guest

    If it were a little point and shoot, I would just put it in my jacket pocket
    or something so it is on my person, but what about a Canon 350D?

    default, Dec 2, 2005
  7. default

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Uh, carry it in a carry-on bag.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 2, 2005
  8. default

    Colin D Guest

    Most airlines allow a carry-on camera bag of reasonable size in addition
    to the allowed cabin bag, just the same as women's handbags. I have had
    no trouble with a camera bag holding a 300D plus two extra lenses, a
    right-angle finder and a flash unit, slung over my shoulder. It gets
    xrayed as does all carry-on baggage.

    Putting valuables in checked luggage is asking for it to be ripped off,
    as all checked baggage is xrayed, and the contents thereby visible.
    Worse, American airport baggage is required to be unlocked for
    inspection, though that isn't necessarily the case in other countries.

    Colin D.

    Colin D, Dec 2, 2005
  9. default

    sid derra Guest

    i always have it in my carry on, usually by my feet under the front seat.

    rock on. sid (who will have another overseas flight with his dslr in 6 days)

    sid derra, Dec 2, 2005
  10. default

    sid derra Guest

    united actually paid for a few items that had disappeared out of one of my
    checked bags: nikon charger + battery and compact flash... i was surprised
    myself. but anyways, you dont want to have to go through that hassle if you
    dont have to - so dont check it!

    sid

    sid derra, Dec 2, 2005
  11. default

    grumpy Guest

    At many airports, there is an 50% chance that such a camera would not be in you checked in luggage
    when you collect it at the conclusion of your journey.

    In countries such as India, this percentage rises to 90%.

    grumpy, Dec 2, 2005
  12. default

    Pete D Guest

    Given that all airlines in every part of the world only employ crimnals to
    do their baggage handling I would recommend carrying on every item of value
    and that includes full toothpaste tubes.

    Pete D, Dec 2, 2005
  13. default

    Matt Ion Guest

    If someone does grab it, they're not gonna get far with it. Make sure
    it's still there before they start deplaning people, and if anything is
    missing, you can always raise the alarm while you still have a captive
    audience.

    Or keep it in your under-seat space. This is what I do...
    ....for exactly that purpose. You can get some wicked pics from 35,000ft.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0548-1, 12/01/2005
    Tested on: 12/2/2005 1:29:56 AM

    Matt Ion, Dec 2, 2005
  14. default

    Joan Guest

    Joan, Dec 2, 2005
  15. default

    Mark² Guest

    The only thing I'll stick in a checked bag is my tripod.

    Everything else is ALWAYS carried.

    Mark², Dec 2, 2005
  16. default

    Mark² Guest

    Do you know what the term "carry on" is?

    It does not mean that you hold your camera and "carry it."

    Think "bag."

    Mark², Dec 2, 2005
  17. default

    Ron Hunter Guest

    NEVER NEVER NEVER put anything of significant value in checked baggage!
    First, there are THIEVES in baggage handling areas.
    Second, your bags may not arrive when, or where, you do.
    Third, high powered baggage security scanners MAY cause damage to your
    electronic equipment.
    Fourth, baggage handlers aren't gorillas, they are more like bulldozers.
    In short, they routinely treat bags roughly.

    Keep it with you at all times!

    Ron Hunter, Dec 2, 2005
  18. default

    Ron Hunter Guest

    On a long flight, take the bag the camera is in, and put it under the
    seat in front of you, and loop the carrying strap around your leg. Lock
    the zipper with a simple lock for luggage before you go to sleep.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 2, 2005
  19. default

    Ron Hunter Guest

    In a bag, carry it on. Don't let it out of your sight.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 2, 2005
  20. Maybe you live in an ideal world where that can be done. I've
    lived in a world that required extensive travel on
    airlines... with 200-300 pounds of baggage (which means paying
    for "excess baggage" at a premium rate) which might be worth
    several thousands (or 10's of thousands) of dollars.

    Hence, while I *totally* agree with your intended point, I would
    phrase that comment a bit different. Place the *most* valuable
    (in terms of what causes the most distress if lost) items in
    carry on. And carry on just as much as you are allowed. What
    is left goes in checked baggage, and yes it is at a much higher
    risk.

    Note that items such as a coat, medications, cameras, computers,
    your hotel, car, etc reservations and essential papers are all
    often more important than the cost of replacement might
    indicate. Depending on where you are going, a change of clothes
    (appropriate to your destination) might be more important than
    your camera!
    Unless you have no choice. But whatever you do, do *not* ever
    pack something expensive in a way that advertises what it is
    unless there is no avoiding it. Hence, if the camera has to go
    checked baggage, put the camera bag inside regular luggage or
    put it inside a plain cardboard box. An obvious "camera" (or
    computer) bag is much more likely to be lost...

    Floyd Davidson, Dec 2, 2005