    Is there any way that I can capture the print output to a text file
    instead of letting it go to a printer?

    The machine's running under Windows 98 SE.

    none, Aug 5, 2003

  2. none

    Ieuan Adams Guest

    Instead of using the print icon, use File -> Print from the menus. This'll
    bring up the print dialog options. Select the option (tick the box) for
    print to file and you should be able to redirect the output to a file rather
    then paper! This has been tried on Acrobat Reader 5.1 but I'm sure it'll
    work on other versions since I think its a feature of printer drivers rather
    than the program.
    Hope this helps,
    Ieuan

    Ieuan Adams, Aug 5, 2003

  3. none

    Ieuan Adams Guest

    Ooops. Sorry, you wanted a text file, the above will give you a .ps file. I
    don't think you can redirect the printer output to a text file since the
    printer driver outputs a rasterised file for printing (it contains all the
    instructions for where to put all the inkdots on the paper and what colour,
    not what text to print). If you cannot copy and paste from the pdf file
    through Acrobat Reader it could be that the file is protected in someway,
    though admittedly unlikely if you can print a hard copy of the file. I think
    earlier versions of Acrobat Reader wouldn't always let you copy and paste,
    try a later version of Acrobat Reader. I use 5.1 from a magazine cover disc
    for copying and pasting from science journals without any problems.
    Alternatively try some of the free pdf viewers/writers such as Ghostview;
    they might let you copy and paste or save the file as something else. I'm
    afraid my internet connection is playing up so I can't do a quick search to
    see what I turn up sorry!
    Hope some of this helps,
    Ieuan

    Ieuan Adams, Aug 5, 2003
  4. none

    Patrick Guest

    On the 'File' menu thiere is an option to 'Export as text file' (AR5) or
    'Save as text file' (AR6).
    No pictures, but you say you want a textfile.

    Patrick, Aug 5, 2003