Caption display on letterbox DVD with 16:9 display

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Guest, Jan 14, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have a 16:9 display. When viewing DVD content authored in letterbox
    (not anamorphic-widescreen), I use the "zoom" view mode (instead of
    full-mode) on my TV to show the letter boxed content.

    All works great, but when I turn on the caption on the dvd-player, the
    caption gets clipped off at the bottom.

    Is the caption position specified by the DVD content? Or is my
    dvd-player not displaying it correctly? If I have a 4:3 TV, then the
    caption position is correct, it is out of the picture. But I have a
    16:9 TV, so the position it displays the caption is wrong.

    Will getting a different DVD-player help? I have an old Toshiba 5-disc
    DVD changer.

    Thanks.

    Raymond

    Guest, Jan 14, 2008

  2. it's the fault of the dvd maker - they choose where the subtitles appear -
    and badly designed dvds will present them in the missing area.
    some tvs allow you to shift the picture up to take account of this - but
    that's still a bodged solution.

    the dog from that film you saw, Jan 14, 2008

  3. Guest

    Kimba W Lion Guest

    Use the zoom function on your DVD player instead of on your TV.

    Kimba W Lion, Jan 14, 2008
  4. Thanks for the tip, that sounds like it'd work. I don't have a
    widecreen tv but I play with others' sets.

    Walter Traprock, Jan 15, 2008
  5. Guest

    Richard C. Guest

    Just one more reason that I detest non-anamorphic DVDs
    Some companies insist on still releasing them.
    MGM is one of the worst. 1.66:1 movies need anamorphic too.

    Richard C., Jan 16, 2008