Can't view pics on one particular site, maybe because of an unknown 'security feature'

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TimeSignatures, Dec 19, 2007.

  1. My system is a Dell Dimension 8400 with WinXP. One particular website
    has photographs on it that simply do not show up on either of my
    browsers, FireFox and IE.

    The web page is at:

    http://www.breezynews.com

    My browser changes it to:

    http://www.breezynews.com/cgi-bin/weather/hamweather.cgi

    The site's pics show up fine on my friends' computers, both Windows
    and Mac. I myself have never had any problem viewing photos on any
    sites before, that I'm aware of. The company that runs the site told
    me that the problem is:

    "because of a security feature you have active. We have not heard of
    any one else having any issues with the pictures."

    I'm not aware of any "security feature". Can someone suggest what
    might be going on, and a solution, please?

    Thanks.

    TimeSignatures, Dec 19, 2007

  2. TimeSignatures

    Mike Easter Guest

    Do you mean your FF & IE do not show the pics associated with the
    articles, such as

    http://www.breezynews.com/banners2/breezynews.jpg
    http://www.breezynews.com/banners2/kpd.jpg
    http://www.breezynews.com/banners2/acfd_truck2.jpg
    http://www.breezynews.com/banners2/buff.jpg
    http://www.breezynews.com/banners2/breezy101live.jpg
    http://www.breezynews.com/banners2/breezynews.jpg
    http://www.breezynews.com/banners2/pillow.jpg
    http://www.breezynews.com/banners2/breezy101live.jpg

    What happens if you click those URLs or put each into a browser's
    addressline?

    The page uses css and javascript, but .js is not needed to display the
    pics. The .js is to help the ads display.

    Mike Easter, Dec 19, 2007

  3. TimeSignatures

    elaich Guest

    I get the same results with Firefox. Rather than the pics, I have nothing
    but a blue bar alongside the right of the screen. It's actually preferable
    to all the garbage many news sites line their pages with.

    I'll bet if you verified that site, you'd find a few hundred coding errors.
    I'd do it myself, but don't have time right now.

    elaich, Dec 19, 2007
  4. If I click any of these URLs, the image does indeed open in FireFox
    (my default browser). If each is pasted into FF's addressline, the pic
    shows up OK that method, also.
    Thanks for your help. What next?

    TimeSignatures, Dec 19, 2007
  5. I also get that vertical blue bar on the right side of the screen. The
    pics show up more toward the left, adjacent to news articles. A
    picture or two will show up on my PC, but there are always several
    pics that will not.

    I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is with that web page,
    so yes, I'd like to verify that site. What does "verify" mean, and how
    do I do it?

    TimeSignatures, Dec 30, 2007
  6. TimeSignatures

    Whiskers Guest

    See <http://validator.w3.org/> - which for the page you mention, reports:

    Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 203 it
    contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as utf-8 (in other
    words, the bytes found are not valid values in the specified Character
    Encoding). Please check both the content of the file and the character
    encoding indication.

    The error was: utf8 "\xB0" does not map to Unicode

    which is not a good start!

    Try viewing the site with Opera, in 'user mode'.

    Whiskers, Dec 30, 2007
  7. TimeSignatures

    Richard Guest

    Hello Whiskers,

    From interest I just tried a web site I edit - http://www.wroxton.org.uk on
    the validator site you mention. It has come up with 9 errors though as far
    as I am aware it runs OK. As you obviously know about these things, can you
    advise me as to whether or not I need to do anything? It was written with
    Serif Web Plus.

    Richard Woollacott

    Richard, Dec 30, 2007
  8. Don't you mean: http://www.balscote.org.uk/
    Why the frames redirection?

    Please lose the music. I was listening to a nice mellow jazz CD when I
    clicked your link, and you interrupted it. Not good for people listening
    late at night with the children sleeping in the next room. If you really
    want music, place a link or button so the visitor has choice.

    There appears to be a JavaScript menu. That is inaccessible for the ~10%
    who have JavaScript disabled or stripped by a corporate firewall, and is
    like turning off your web server for a month each year.

    You use ActiveX objects. Only Internet Exploder users will see that,
    unless they are smart and have disabled those insecure objects.

    You use tonnes of inline styling. Use a CSS style sheet instead.

    You need to update your font sizing to the 21st century. See:
    http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html
    and switch to percentages, and drop Verdana.

    Red-on-yellow is not a colour combination I would have chosen.

    It appears that "Serif WebPlus" generates last-century-style HTML. Why
    not upgrade to something more modern? This fork of the Mozilla Composer
    is supposed to be quite good for amateurs:
    http://kompozer.net/

    I personally compose all web pages with a good text editor...

    You could post in alt.html for more detailed questions.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 30, 2007
  9. TimeSignatures

    pcbutts1 Guest

    The site works fine for me using IE7.

    pcbutts1, Dec 30, 2007
  10. TimeSignatures

    Whiskers Guest

    Strange; it reports 23 when I do that.
    I'm no expert!
    I'd have thought that any error was worth fixing, once it has been
    identified. Different browsers react to errors differently.

    Whiskers, Dec 30, 2007
  11. TimeSignatures

    Whiskers Guest

    I have 'enable sound in web pages' un-selected in Opera; well worth doing!
    Good idea :))

    I'd try to drop the Java applet too; it doesn't really add anything to the
    content that couldn't be done in a way that would work with even a
    text-only browser.

    If you can't see the images, the site is impossible to navigate - with or
    without 'javascript'.

    My browser (Opera, on Linux) resorts to 'quirks mode' to render the page.

    Whiskers, Dec 30, 2007
  12. TimeSignatures

    Leythos Guest

    And a programmer would know that IE does not follow W3 Standards, it
    will allow broken HTML to work without generating an error.

    --

    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    Fight exposing kids to porn, complain about sites like PCBUTTS 1.COM
    that create filth and put it on the web for any kid to see: Just take a
    look at some of the FILTH he's created and put on his website:
    http://forums.speedguide.net/archive/index.php/t-223485.html all exposed
    'exposed to kids'.

    Leythos, Dec 30, 2007
  13. TimeSignatures

    Richard Guest

    Well Beauregard T. Shagnasty I thought I was asking for technical help
    rather than aesthetic criticism even from an expert like you. Can we have
    the URL of one of the sites you have created so that we can see how it
    should be done.

    I am surprised though that you did not understand that the Wroxton and
    Balscote thing is because as you can see, the Parish council covers two
    villages and for both political and search engine reasons it is two linked
    URL addresses. By the way, ActiveX comes up perfectly in Firefox.

    Richard

    Richard, Dec 31, 2007
  14. Well ok, but Usenet is not a help desk; it is discussion groups. I
    though you would be interested in some constructive criticism.
    If you wish.
    http://countryrode.com/
    Sure I understand what you are doing; I was questioning the method by
    which you did it. Frames redirection takes away the ability for your
    visitors to bookmark a page they find interesting.

    For example, after going to http://www.wroxton.org.uk/ and clicking
    around a bit, I found a page about antique furniture:

    "Diana Marcovitch and Madeleine Stead of Balscote " ...

    and I would like to bookmark it for future reference. But look in your
    location bar. I cannot bookmark that page.

    The page is actually: http://www.balscote.org.uk/page18.html
    When I am ready to purchase that furniture, I am going to have to go
    through the process all over again to try to find that page. A less-than
    astute surfer may not remember what s/he did.

    You either need to do a straight redirection with some code in the
    wroxton.co.uk main page (like this PHP example):

    <?php
    header( "Location: http://www.balscote.org.uk/index.html" )
    ?>

    or use your domain registrar to do a pure non-framed forward to
    balscote.co.uk or use an .htaccess redirection at your web server.
    Sorry, not in my version. There are a lot of knowledgeable surfers who
    eschew the use of Internet Explorer just to get away from the perils of
    ActiveX.

    Oh, regarding the frames, if you had posted in alt.html, someone likely
    would have responded with the link:
    http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil :)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 31, 2007
  15. TimeSignatures

    Richard Guest

    --

    I take your point about bookmarking, but this site is only really for
    villagers so it would rarely if ever arise. I had a look at your site, it's

    Richard, Dec 31, 2007
  16. Thanks for the nice comment.
    By not assigning a fixed width, such as you have:

    Remove the width:750px and see what happens. You would probably also
    want to set margins of a few em so your red border doesn't go flush to
    the browser viewport.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 31, 2007