    the message is finished downloading, all i get is some garbled up letters?
    I cant view the video. Can someone help me? I use Outlook Express with
    SBC. Thanks for any help!!!

    Steve, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Steve

    Richard Guest

    In your help file, look up "combine and decode" for a basic explanation.

    What you got to see is raw coding from only one part of the entire file.
    Did the file look like "filename.avi (05/40)" or "filename.avi.004"??

    In the first example, we use "combine and decode". In the second, we use a
    "splitter/joiner" program.
    Large file are generally broken into smaller chunks because servers can only
    handle so much.

    (05/40) says this is the 5th part of 40 parts.
    You need all 40 parts to see the AVI as a whole.
    Find the one shows (01/40) and download it. This is a complete file and can
    be viewed as a short preview.
    Once you have done the "combine and decode" thing, then you can view the
    entire thing.

    filename.avi.004 says this is the 4th part of the file. We do not know how
    many parts make a whole.
    Begin with filename.av.001.
    Download each section as a single file.
    Using a program such as mastersplitter www.tomasoft.com or "just another
    splitter" www.jas-etc.com you can then join the parts and watch what you
    have.

    There is a lot more to learn about viewing other types of formats.

    have fun.

    Richard, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Steve

    trout Guest

    These files will be posted in a number of attachments that need to
    be combined and decoded. Outlook Express does this poorly and clumsily.
    (press F1 and look up "Combine and Decode" in your OE help files).
    For some types of files (like yEnc), it can't do this without
    third-party software.
    I'd strongly recommend that you use a different newsreader to
    download binary files. A good one that does all this easily and
    automatically is:

    trout, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Steve

    Unk Guest

    It could be combine, multiple or yEnc files.

    Combine:
    "xxx.mpg" (01/50) tells us this is part 1 of 50 parts.
    Use "Combine and Decode" to join:
    Highlight the files you want to combine & decode.
    (Click the first, hold "Shift" or "Control"
    to select the rest of the group)
    From Outlook: Select "Message", "Combine & Decode"

    Multiple:
    For multiple files (xxx.mpg.001, xxx.mpg.002, etc):
    "xxx.mpg.050" tells us this is part 50 of the file but we have
    no idea how many parts are needed unless there is also a "xxx.bat"
    file which is the stand-alone joiner, and lists the number of files
    in the set. To join without "xxx.bat", you MUST have "xxx.mpg.001".
    "xxx.mpg.001" is the first file of the set and the rest of the set will be
    appended to it as "xxx.mpg". If "xxx.mpg.000" is missing, the joined
    set may not be complete as "xxx.mpg.000" has the checksum and
    the number of parts needed to make a complete file.

    Save all the files to a folder, then combine them with the
    "xxx.bat". If "xxx.bat" is missing, then use one of the below
    programs to join the files using "xxx.mpg.001" as the start file.
    "MasterSplitter" http://www.tomasoft.com or
    "HJ-Split" http://freebyte.com/hjsplit/ or
    "Just Another Splitter" http://www.jas-etc.com

    "r00" is a piece of a split WinRAR file. It's a compression file similar
    to Winzip. You need the first part "xxxx.rar" to expand the set.
    http://www.rarlab.com

    Download ALL the parts, DON'T "join" this type of file. Save the parts,
    then double click "xxxx.rar" to begin the decompression.

    "p01" is a PAR file used for correcting errors.
    Par files are used to rebuild missing files in a spanned archive.
    Smart Par
    http://www.disc-chord.com/smartpar/
    http://www.disc-chord.com/smartpar/info.html
    http://ice.prohosting.com/smartpar/releases/SmartPAR_0.11d1.zip
    http://www.geocities.com/smartpar_1/smartpar.zip

    SmartPar Tutorial
    http://www.smr-usenet.com/tutor/smartpar.shtml
    http://www.slyck.com/smartpar.php
    http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=6

    What is yEnc?
    http://www.yenc.org/whatis.htm

    yEnc links and information:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/yproxy
    http://www.smr-usenet.com/software/misc.shtml Download
    "The Yenc utilities". They include yencpowerpost,
    yenc for Agent, ydecode, yencode and more
    http://www.yenc.org
    http://code.blitzaffe.com/delphi/
    http://www.uwekeller.de/index.html...giganews free newsreader
    http://www.co.jyu.fi/~ap/bnr.html freeware

    Agent is probably the best, and well worth the money.
    http://www.forteinc.com

    Full/Free Agent (try/buy)
    ftp://ftp.forteinc.com/pub/agent/english/a32en193.exe

    Unk, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Steve

    HamMan Guest

    xxx.mpg, how ironic

    hamman

    HamMan, Feb 20, 2004
  6. Steve

    gangle Guest

    To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
    click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
    click each of the remaining parts. When you have
    highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
    "Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
    order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
    When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
    a window will appear with the File Icon in the
    bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
    line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
    "save as" and, within the browser window that
    appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
    save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
    PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
    a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
    posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
    in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
    makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
    while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
    download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
    to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
    such as Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
    or Xnews (free):
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    or Gravity (free):
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
    for downloading binaries.
    Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
    for downloading binaries:
    http://www.newsbin.com/ .
    You could still use OE5 or 6 as an email program
    and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
    the above programs to retrieve binaries.

    yEnc is a type of binary to text encoding that has much
    less "overhead" than Uuencoded files.
    Note: OE does not internally decode yEnc messages.
    You must use a third-party program to acheive this,
    the easiest being yProxy:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/software/

    Again, I suggest that, for binaries, it would be more
    practical to just switch to one of the dedicated newsreaders
    mentioned above, which all handle yEnc internally.

    RAR files are (usually) large multimedia type of files (.avi,
    ..mpg, .mov, .rm, etc.) that have been archived and split into
    parts. You need WinRar to reassemble the archive and
    decompress it. http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
    (shareware, but always usable, even after the trial period).

    "Steve" > wrote

    gangle, Feb 20, 2004