    From: Goody2shoe
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2005 4:35 PM
    Subject: WTF MS: FIX OE SPELLCHECK - email spellcheck error Outlook 2000 &
    Outlook Express only in XP64

    I have XP 64bit I got from our University IT Dept. I keep looking for a
    solution to the spell check errors of Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express.
    Suggested solutions from www.tech-pro.co.uk/howto_010.html
    about the location of csapi3t1.dll have not worked for me.

    There seems to be no way to get spell check working in the two most widely
    used Windows email clients. XP 64bit isn't beta anymore, how can you RTM
    without email spellcheck?!!!

    I'm over 50 and since I haven't learned to spell yet I need this essential
    business tool to keep from looking like the idiot I actually am. You can't
    give me 10 years of reliable spell checking and then say "Oh we couldn't get
    it to work so we're dropping that feature."
    www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/64bit/cifx64.mspx
    Spell Checking - Detailed description
    Spell checking is not supported in the 64-bit version of Outlook Express.
    What works differently?
    Because spell checking is not supported, you will see an error if you try to
    check spelling within a new message in Outlook Express by clicking Spelling
    on the Tools menu, or by pressing F7.

    Goody2shoe, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 12, 2005

  3. Goody2shoe

    Guest Guest

    I'm using Outlook 2002 and have spellcheck capabilities by using Word 2002 as
    my email editor.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Goody2shoe

    Mothra Guest

    What exactly have you installed? Outlook Express has never had a spelling
    checker by default and neither has Outlook.

    From the Outlook Express built-in help:
    "Outlook Express uses the spelling checker provided with the following
    Microsoft Office programs: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft
    PowerPoint. If you do not have one of these programs installed, the Spelling
    command is not available."

    Mothra, Jul 14, 2005
  5. Goody2shoe

    Goody2shoe Guest

    I installed Office 2000 Pro, all apps except Publisher. I have Access,
    Excel, Outlook, and Word. This arrangement gives me working spell check in
    Outlook & Outlook Express under XP Pro 32bit.

    What exactly have you installed? Outlook Express has never had a spelling
    checker by default and neither has Outlook.

    From the Outlook Express built-in help:

    Goody2shoe, Jul 14, 2005
  6. Goody2shoe

    Rick Guest

    That's because Outlook Express is 64 bit. When the 64 bit Office comes
    out, the spell checker will work.

    Rick, Jul 14, 2005
  7. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 14, 2005
  8. Goody2shoe

    Mothra Guest

    Or perhaps because Office 2000 is 32-bit, it installed under "c:\Program
    Files (x86)" whereas Outlook Express is expecting files under "c:\Program
    Files".

    I haven't got my Windows x64 up and running at the moment; Goody2shoe, can
    you check which directory path Office installed under?

    Mothra, Jul 15, 2005
  9. Goody2shoe

    Rick Guest

    If you search back through posts you will find this was hashed over a
    month or so ago and the result was that the Office spell checker will
    not work with x65 OE because x64 OE is 64 bit and Office is 32 bit.

    If you don't want to believe what I just told you, then do some research

    Rick, Jul 15, 2005
  10. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 16, 2005
  11. Goody2shoe

    Dennis Pack Guest

    X65 was the predecessor to the VIC10 or VIC 20.

    Dennis Pack, Jul 16, 2005
  12. Goody2shoe

    Goody2shoe Guest

    Was that the TimeX64? OneMHz Z-80 CPU & 2kilobytes of RAM? I think they
    stopped manufacture when they couldn't get them to leak oil. Up the
    colonies!
    ====================
    I installed Office 2000 in a separate partition so I could share Office
    with XP 32bit. Sharing Office between XP32 & XP64 worked, except for the
    spell check thing. There were many recommendations about the locations of
    some files and the Application Data\Microsoft\Proof paths in some reg
    entries. I tried them, but no joy.

    I'm planning to wipe it and reinstall with just XP 32 bit and the standard
    C:\Program files. All because I can't spellcheck in OE64. Apparently I like
    OE, with spellcheck, so much that I'll give up the cool new x64 OS. I have
    so much time invested in learning the ins and outs of Office 2000 that I'm
    unlikely to switch when a 64bit version of Office comes out. But I might
    install some future Office64bit just to get OE64 spellcheck working.

    X65 was the predecessor to the VIC10 or VIC 20.

    Goody2shoe, Jul 16, 2005