    Outlook Express for e-mail with that e address and BT broadband unless he
    pays extra! Does that make sense - or has my friend got this wrong?
    Thanks. John

    John Jones, Aug 31, 2006

  2. John Jones

    Mike Easter Guest

    You aren't telling the story very well, and since it isn't your story
    maybe you don't even know what the story is.

    I'm trying to imagine some scenario to fit. One thing which comes to
    mind is that some providers block outgoing port 25 in order to prevent
    spam output from their proxified userbase. That is, possibly a BT
    broadband user IP is prevented from using port 25 to anything but the BT
    smtp server.

    Port 25 is the most common port used for SMTP servers, altho' some
    servers access via 465.

    So, if the fsnet smtp server can only be accessed via port 25 and the
    port 25 is blocked, he would have a problem.

    Some of the solutions that some providers offer to their broadband
    customers whose IP would otherwise be dynamic and its port 25 blocked
    would be to pay more for being assigned a static IP with its port 25
    accessible instead of the normal dynamic leasing condition.

    If the person with the problem were telling the story instead of you, we
    might have access to more of the correct details directly, and I don't
    feel like researching all of the angles on BT or fsnet to figure out
    what is the actual problem and what is the actual solution. fsnet might
    provide access to port 465. gmail does.

    Mike Easter, Aug 31, 2006

  3. John Jones

    Tom UK Guest

    His fsnet.co.uk email account was supplied with the account with
    that ISP, when he terminated that account and changed to BT.
    So now, obviously having lost a customer, fsnet/wanadoo/Orange
    have conditions if he wants to maintain that email without being
    a continued customer of that ISP - Does that make sense

    Tom UK, Aug 31, 2006
  4. John Jones

    Whiskers Guest

    If Orange want to charge him for use of their email service when he isn't
    paying them for their ISP service, then that seems reasonable. It won't
    have anything to do with what email program he uses.

    Whiskers, Aug 31, 2006
  5. John Jones

    John Jones Guest

    But do you think it will be possible for him to continue to use the
    fsnet.co.uk address but use the BT POP3 Server for incoming mail and the BT
    SMTP Server for outgoing mail?
    .....I'm with Orange and I use pop.freeserve.com and smtp.freeserve.com for
    incoming and outgoing mail respectively...not sure what would the BT
    equivalents be to give it a try - anyone any ideas?

    John Jones, Aug 31, 2006
  6. John Jones

    Gordon Guest

    Orange is Wanadoo is Freeserve so that's why you can do that......
    He could try setting up the fsnet smtp server with authentication - I use a
    mail host that is not my ISP and that's what I do.....

    Gordon, Aug 31, 2006
  7. John Jones

    John Jones Guest

    Thanks Mike :)

    John Jones, Aug 31, 2006
  8. John Jones

    anthonyberet Guest

    I still can use a .fsbusiness.co.uk address, which is from the same
    provider (I got it back in the day when it was run by Freeserve).

    My pop server is pop.freeserve.com so he should give the same a try.

    anthonyberet, Sep 2, 2006
  9. John Jones

    John Jones Guest

    John Jones, Sep 3, 2006