Can't upgrade from 64-bit Home-Premium to 64-bit Ultimate?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by speb, Jul 15, 2008.

  1. speb

    speb Guest

    Hello:

    I first attempted to upgrade from 64-bit Vista Home Premium to
    64-bit Vista Ultimate. After trying, it disabled the option and only
    let me do an install.
    So I enter my key in twice more. add another dummy option to
    the boot menu and attempt to do an install. I go to select the
    the drive to install. and the "Next" button is disabled. It tells me
    that I have to start it from a drive with a valid windows installation,
    which I can assure you my C:\ drive is.
    So I just reboot and repeat this procedure 2 more times with
    the same result, except I now have 2 more dummy boot options
    in the boot menu.
    What am I doing wrong and how can I fix the boot menu?
    I paid almost $200 for the Ultimate Upgrade with SP1. I
    don't want it to be a complete waste.

    Thanks in advance:
    Michael

    speb, Jul 15, 2008

  2. VistaBoot Pro will fix you right up.
    http://www.vistabootpro.org/

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 15, 2008

  3. speb

    Mark H Guest

    I have a suspicion, but it is not clear if you are attempting to boot from
    the DVD or starting the upgrade from a running session of VHP. Because this
    is an upgrade, you need to have Windows running, insert the DVD and then
    select Install Now when the menu is presented. If you boot from the DVD, the
    x64 disc assumes you are doing a clean install and disables the Upgrade
    option. When you enter your product key, it is recognized as an upgrade, but
    you are already in the Custom Installation path. It tries to tell you,
    although cryptically, you need to start this install from within a running
    windows session.

    Mark H, Jul 15, 2008
  4. speb

    speb Guest

    Thanks everyone that replied. I found out what my problem was:

    One important step left out of the upgrade instructions:
    <b>When asked to reboot, you must remove the Upgrade DVD from
    your DVD drive.</b>
    Now it is upgraded.

    I will try that VistaBoot to cleanup the half-dozen excess boot options I
    have.

    speb, Jul 17, 2008