  1. Ive tried to uninstall AOL in order to install service pack2, and then
    reinstall AOL as advised but I cant get rid of it properly.Is there a method
    to follow that I dont know.

    richardbardsley, Nov 23, 2005

  2. richardbardsley

    Noel Paton Guest

    'Can't get rid of it properly' - what does that mean??
    without details, the best I can suggest is that you reinstall it, and then
    uninstall it again.

    FWIW, I've installed SP2 with AOL in place and had no problems whatever -
    just make sure that you disable the various cleaners/spyware
    killers/anti-virus apps before starting the update.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Nov 23, 2005

  3. richardbardsley

    Gordon Guest

    Told you!

    Gordon, Nov 23, 2005
  4. richardbardsley

    Gordon Guest

    This is the fine service pak2 as recommended by our very own Frank DeLucca
    MPV!

    ;-)

    Gordon, Nov 23, 2005
  5. richardbardsley

    Noel Paton Guest

    Noel Paton, Nov 23, 2005
  6. richardbardsley

    Gordon Guest

    Whoooosh!

    Gordon, Nov 23, 2005
  7. richardbardsley

    Noel Paton Guest

    Noel Paton, Nov 23, 2005
  8. richardbardsley

    Paul - xxx Guest

    richardbardsley came up with the following;:
    Stop AOL from starting up before you install anything, let alone a Service
    Pack.

    Indeed, it's recommended practice to stop _every_ application other than the
    OS from running before installing anything on any flavour of Windows.

    Paul - xxx, Nov 23, 2005
  9. richardbardsley

    Gordon Guest

    Do a search for Frank DeLucca and have a look! (Notice he signs himelf "MPV"
    not "MVP" - a dead giveaway!)

    Gordon, Nov 23, 2005
  10. richardbardsley

    Noel Paton Guest

    Noel Paton, Nov 23, 2005
  11. richardbardsley quacked like a deranged mallard in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    SUE AOL!! SUE AOL!!

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 23, 2005
  12. richardbardsley

    dadiOH Guest

    You could go back to BT...

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Nov 23, 2005
  13. richardbardsley

    dadiOH Guest

    :)

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Nov 23, 2005
  14. richardbardsley

    Paul - xxx Guest

    The Old Sourdough came up with the following;:
    Litigate, Litigate ...

    Fugitt, 'ave a beer and shurrrup a minute ... ;)

    Paul - xxx, Nov 23, 2005
  15. richardbardsley

    Grim Reaper Guest

    You just screwed up your computer real good installing the AOL
    software. It is hard to remove because AOL just dug their spidery
    undead fingers into the hard drive and refuse to let you uninstall the
    software. AOL software by all means is a VIRUS.Their software is known
    to change the settings in Windows XP (if you are running it) until it
    becomes unstable and crashes. The only way to get rid of this POS
    software is now to wipe the hard drive completely and re-install
    Windows XP (if you have this installed), but do NOT re-install the AOL
    software or you will screw up your system again!

    Do you want to end up getting your computer hit with viruses, spammed
    with pr0n emails, being accosted by perverts in the chatrooms on AOL?
    Bad idea. They have been known to force charge your credit cards and
    stealing money out of your account without telling you and they refuse
    to stop billing you after you cancel your account. Good luck trying to
    get your money back.

    Grim Reaper, Nov 23, 2005
  16. AOL are a long established company so its highly unlikely they would have
    lasted this long with practises like that.
    They have been very friendly over the phone and are offering 100 hours for
    free.
    Can your isp beat that?

    richardbardsley, Nov 23, 2005
  17. richardbardsley

    joevan Guest

    Free crap is worthless. I have some free used toilet paper if you want
    it. I can even give you 100 hours of it. All you have to do is stand
    at the end of my soil line and collect it. Sort of like AOL don't you
    think.

    joevan, Nov 23, 2005
  18. Ignore Noel Paton, he's not a /real/ MPV (he can't even spell it right)

    Reinstall WinXP on top over the excisting system, apply our fine Service Pak
    2, and reinstall the AOL software should do the job. Poast back if you
    encounter any problems.

    Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV, Nov 23, 2005
  19. richardbardsley

    tab Guest

    tab, Nov 23, 2005
  20. richardbardsley

    Plato Guest

    They are bleeding customers. I suppose many thanks to the Netzero and
    Netscape ISP television ads and of course, cable and dsl.

    Anyway, last week in the Sunday paper this retail store was, as usual,
    adverstising LOW prices for hardware, which of course, you had to do the
    rebate thing.

    Several rebates, $100 each, depended on you first signing up with AOL
    for a year. ie you'd only get the rebate if you agreed to spend
    $288/year [$23.95 X 12] for AOL.

    Are average American consumers that naive?

    Plato, Nov 23, 2005