Cant suf through router

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Big Brian, Oct 30, 2005.

  1. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    Hi

    Have dlink router (DG604T)

    ADSL light is solid

    Modem status shows I am connected.

    Bulldog says there is no issues with connectivity in my area

    I have a ip address for the PC (Connecte dvia ethernet) and a wireless
    laptop.

    Laptop can ping desktop and vice versa.

    Both can ping the bulldog assigned ip address

    But when I try and surf i get Action Cancelled

    I cannot ping any websites with either their address`s or their ip address.

    Any clues.

    Big Brian, Oct 30, 2005

  2. ADSL routers won't work on Blueyonder.

    The3rd Earl Of Derby, Oct 30, 2005

  3. Big Brian

    flumpuk Guest

    Sorry

    This is a bulldog adsl internet service. Should have made that clearer
    in first post.

    I use blueyonder , its actually a friends setup. Everything was fine
    then access "just stopped"

    flumpuk, Oct 30, 2005
  4. Can you access the net without the router connected?
    If so reset the router, power down the router reset the computer and try
    again.

    The3rd Earl Of Derby, Oct 30, 2005
  5. Big Brian

    flumpuk Guest

    Nope

    Cant connect without a router. Tried the old modem and old software
    (connexant) and it connects and validates ok . Says connected but
    nothing.

    Tried with my PC , but no good either.

    flumpuk, Oct 30, 2005
  6. So have you tried with the modem supplied by your ISP, does this not work?

    If not then your ISP is at fault or the Modem.

    The3rd Earl Of Derby, Oct 30, 2005
  7. Big Brian

    flumpuk Guest

    Yes

    Tried with ISP supplied modem

    We get an ip address on both setups , but they say all is ok

    flumpuk, Oct 30, 2005
  8. The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

    By the way, did you know 'Bulldog' have a bad reputation for support
    issues.

    The3rd Earl Of Derby, Oct 30, 2005
  9. Do you have ZA installed?(firewall)

    The3rd Earl Of Derby, Oct 30, 2005
  10. Big Brian

    flumpuk Guest

    we have nortons. That has been disabled but no difference

    flumpuk, Oct 30, 2005
  11. Ok, do this Assuming your on XP?

    Go to start/run and type...command prompt then type in ipconfig release
    when its released it type ipconfig renew all and see what happens? Do this
    without the router and firewall.

    The3rd Earl Of Derby, Oct 30, 2005
  12. Big Brian

    flumpuk Guest

    Tried all that

    I will get onto bulldog tomorrow

    flumpuk, Oct 30, 2005
  13. Big Brian

    George Guest

    Hi
    This is a bit of a long shot - but it might just work. This assumes you
    are using XP SP2.

    Start ---> Run ---> CMD

    netsh winsock reset

    Restart PC

    If you don't have SP2, you can do a winsock fix the old fashioned way -
    which is always fun.

    In my experience, any action cancelled or page cannot be displayed
    problems are a PC issue, not an ISP issue. But everyone blames the ISP
    anyway.

    George, Oct 31, 2005
  14. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    Im 100% sure its a router or bulldog issuie as neither pc or wirless laptop
    can connect

    Big Brian, Oct 31, 2005
  15. Big Brian

    George Guest

    Try setting your router back to factory defaults, which should rule that
    out of the equation. Also, many routers have a diagnostic section that
    allows you to ping from the router. If you can access the routers config
    page, but can't ping an external IP address, then I'd be sure there is
    an ISP issue. If you can't access the router config page or you can ping
    external IP addresses, it might be worth trying a third PC or perhaps a
    'live' Linux distribution, to 100 % rule out any operating system
    problems.

    George, Oct 31, 2005
  16. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    Its a bulldog issue. They say its all down at the moment

    Big Brian, Oct 31, 2005
  17. Big Brian

    Nig Guest

    I think that's just a fob off to get rid of you! I'm posting via Bulldog
    now and have been surfing no problem.

    What does "ipconfig /all" show?

    Can you ping BD's DNS servers?

    Can you ping www.bbc.co.uk?

    Nig, Oct 31, 2005
  18. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    We spoke to bulldog and they say there is an issue in our area

    All gone hom enow so will have to call them tomorrow

    Big Brian, Oct 31, 2005