    This only started recently when I got into a mood to download music. That's
    when a virus and malware got in somehow but I thought I had that all cleaned
    up. Any idea how these things are getting in and making ads popup?

    Smoker~, May 21, 2005

  2. Smoker~

    7 Guest

    You can try installing open source privoxy
    http://www.privoxy.org
    and then monitoring which sites are being accessed and block
    those sites through privoxy.
    Privoxy will also prevent malicious scripts from
    running if you set your browser proxy setting to use privoxy.

    7, May 21, 2005

  3. Smoker~

    MrGrumpy Guest

    MrGrumpy, May 21, 2005
  4. I've found that when I can't get rid of pop ups the pop-up in actually
    a bit of code that has been installed on my system.

    These scanning tools may be able to find the offending software or
    whether you have a weakness in your security:

    http://scan.sygate.com
    https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

    Another thing you might try is to delete your cookies and temporary
    files:
    Tools | Internet Options | select the Privacy tab | Move the slider
    in the Settings area to a higher level of security. Keep in mind that
    if you block ALL cookies some sites will be limited or even
    unaccessable.. but you can always go back and change it.

    Limiting the number of cookies you except can increase your privacy

    You might also try using firefox instead of Internet Explorer. FireFox
    is free. http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

    Rob
    http://elamb.org

    elamb.security, May 21, 2005
  5. Smoker~

    Smoker~ Guest

    Thanks to all for your offers of help. I installed a Hosts file that blocks
    malicious sites and everything has been fine the past two days, so far.

    Still unknown files getting into my startup and even running processes that
    XP doesn't recognize (according to EndItAll). They aren't effective but I'll
    run those scanning tools. I'd feel like a pain if I ever posted one of those
    long HijackThis files, unless people really don't mind reading them. I tried
    privoxy and it wouldn't start with my system setup.

    Smoker~, May 21, 2005