Can't start remote access con mgr

Discussion in 'Broadband Hardware' started by Bob Pellegrino, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. Can anyone help me get the REMOTE ACCESS CONNECTION MANAGER Service working
    again?

    A few days ago my AOL 9.0 Broadband connection stopped working, after working
    perfectly every day for a few years now. AOL simply stopped picking up my
    Broadband connection, it was as if it was disconnected from the computer.
    (Internet Explorer is working perfectly) After a lengthy few phone calls to
    AOL tech support, they finally isolated the problem to the "Remote Access
    Auto Connection Manager" in the SERVICES area of Control Panel. This Service
    is always STOPPED. If I START it, the "APPLY" button stays greyed out, so it
    never really starts. Even though it will give a status as "started", if I
    reboot the computer, it will be stopped again.

    I don't know what action on my part caused this Service to stop working, I
    recently did a de-frag, and also installed and removed a few applications.
    WINDOWS RESTORE doesnt help at all, I restored to a point in time when I KNEW
    AOL was working, but it did not solve the problem.

    Ive already read the FAQ regarding RESETTING TELEPHONY AND REMOTE ACCESS
    SERVICES ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330163 )
    and have tried that fix but the AUTO CONNECTION MANAGER SERVICE will not
    continue running.

    According to AOL tech support, newer versions of AOL need these services
    working in order to connect via Broadband. Tech Support at AOL had me install
    on older version of AOL (7.0) which DOES work because it doesn't use these
    Services. It doesnt have all the newer features though and is totally out of
    date. They could not help me any further. A call to DELL tech support
    resulted in them finally telling me (after 2 plus hours of troubleshooting
    over the phone) that the only solution was for me to REFORMAT my computer. I
    politely declined and asked for my $40.00 tech support fee to be refunded.
    Which they did, by the way.

    Can anyone help me to get this SERVICE working again? Or am I going to have
    to reformat and start all over again? Using Windows XP SP2.

    Bob Pellegrino, Jul 21, 2006

  2. Bob Pellegrino

    Joker Guest

    You should try posting to the microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
    newsgroup. This newsgroup supports Microsoft's Broadband Networking
    hardware and software only.

    Another option is Call Microsoft & they should be able to help you, but
    this is the wrong newsgroup.

    --

    American Family Association & 30+ Other Groups Call for Boycott of Ford
    Motor Company

    The Electronic Frontier Foundation is highlighting three sets of bad
    laws going through Congress right now.
    http://www.eff.org/corrupt

    Don't pay malware vendors - boycott Sony & Symantec

    This special alert is printed on 100% recycled electrons.

    assistance.

    time.

    If I sound hostile or arrogant you need to read the following before
    posting a question "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way" at
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html (The site I've linked
    to just has this article I think people should read before posting a
    technical question.)

    completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

    Douglas Adams, "Mostly Harmless"

    Joker, Jul 22, 2006