Can't share a printer across a wireless XP network....

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Accomac, Nov 12, 2010.

  1. Accomac

    Accomac Guest

    Hello All,
    I have a wireless network using two machines that run Windows XP Pro
    and Windows XP home. There is no problem getting the client machine,
    the one running Home Edition to have an Internet connection. I would
    like to be able to send documents to the host machines printer. Here
    is the problem:

    When I run the network setup Wizard on the XP Pro machine it
    invariably wants to use the 1394 connection to be the one that is
    shared. The other two options are the Marvell ethernet controllers
    only one of which is in use. When I am prompted to make a network disk
    I only have five options to store the data created by the wizard. The
    first is the floppy drive, and the next four are memory card slots on
    a card reader. The program doesn't show me either one of my two
    optical drives so I can't make a CD. The problem is the client machine
    has no such card reader or a floppy drive!

    When I run the network setup Wizard on the Home machine, and try to
    save the network settings it tells me that there is no optical drive
    installed when in fact it does have a CD burner!

    At one point I was able to share the printer, but unfortunately I made
    the mistake of deleting the printer from the client machine, which in
    turn removed it from the host machine. Now no matter what I do I can't
    get this sharing to operate again.

    I have also tried turning off the "online armor" firewall on both
    machines to no avail. At one point looking under the firewall
    configurations I was able to see the host machine appear on the
    client, and vice versa. Now I can't do anything, I don't even know
    that if I was able to make a network disk that it would solve the
    problem.

    I am at a loss as to what to do next if anyone has any ideas I would
    be most appreciative. Please try and keep your directions relatively
    simple as it's obvious I am having no luck doing what I am doing.

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    Accomac

    Accomac, Nov 12, 2010