Can't seem to boot from XP install CD (after botched Linux install)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Cloud Burst, May 22, 2004.

  1. Cloud Burst

    Cloud Burst Guest

    Hi.

    My friend tried to install Linux on his XP box. In the process,
    (1) he lost the Windows MBR and (2) the Linux partition was too
    small, so it's no good either and won't run.

    We tried to boot with the XP install disk, but the incomplete
    Linux OS always starts instead.

    I know the CD drive will boot, because we boot the Linux install
    CD there.

    At this point, we've tried to redo the partitioning with the
    Linux install disk.

    Anyway, how can we reboot to XP (from the Win XP Pro install CD
    would be our first choice, so we can do an update/reinstall and
    fix the MBR) ?

    Wiping the system is our last choice since he has some data he
    needs to get off the XP...

    Thanks.

    Cloud Burst, May 22, 2004

  2. Cloud Burst

    Unk Guest

    Have you changed the BIOS to boot to the CD first?
    If your BIOS has 1st, 2nd, and 3rd boot choices, change them ALL to the CD.

    When you finally get to the CD, you'll need to run the Recovery Console to
    fix the MBR. http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
    See the section: How to Repair the Boot Sector, and substitute 'FIXMBR' for
    the 'FIXBOOT' command.

    HOW TO: Install the Windows Recovery Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216417

    HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654#4

    How To Create a Set of Emergency Floppies - If your computer can not boot
    from a CD-Rom create a 6 floppy disk set that corresponds to your version of
    Windows XP
    XP Home - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=33290
    XP Pro - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=33291

    Unk, May 22, 2004

  3. Cloud Burst

    Cloud Burst Guest

    Thank you very much.

    Cloud Burst, May 22, 2004
  4. Cloud Burst

    Unk Guest

    You're welcome.

    In the future, could you please include some of the message you are
    responding to, in your reply? That way, all can benefit from the solution.
    (Tools, Options, "Send" tab, check the "Include message in Reply" box.)

    Unk, May 22, 2004