Can't see internal email but everything else works for sending/receiving emails..

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by md, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. md

    md Guest

    Hi. Beginning about 2 hours ago we had the strangest problem arise ...
    We have a small office with about 8 PC computers. We are hooked in to the
    internet thru our partial T1 line, and emails go out thru our ISP's smtp
    server and emails come in thru our webhosting company (also mailhosting
    company)'s email server.

    Using Outlook and Outlook Express we can each send and receive emails (as
    it should be) BUT we can't send and receive to ourselves or one another.
    WE can send from yahoo to ourselves or each other and get it immediately.
    BUT if we send it from our normal outlook and outlook express, people
    outside our name.com get it but people inside cannot get it.
    Further, we seem to receive email from outside, from anyone (including all
    the $@#$!$@#$ spammers) fine.

    WHAT COULD THIS BE?

    The only thing that happened during the time it stopped working was that I
    set up a network printer connection (with a HP JetDirect network address) on
    someone's new PC running XP. I cannot imagine why that would interfere.
    But i turned off that computer and have tried turning off the printer.
    Still no emails. Where are they going? We also shut down the whole network
    and I turned off our hub/routers and then fired on. No help.

    All worked until about 11am then this.

    MY webhost company, which also hosts our email says they think this is a
    problem where my ISP's router (outgoing SMTP) can't 'speak' to their
    particular router somewhere on the net. But can speak to most/all others.
    He said this problem should fix in hours to days. Does this make sense?

    ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME. (pls understand we know little about how this stuff
    works, so use small words).

    THANKS.

    mark

    info (at) kramden.net