    I have been running scan disk for a couple of years without problem. This
    is a new development.

    Thank you.

    Bob, Jul 23, 2004

  2. Bob

    Duane Arnold Guest

    You should shut them all down and see if Scan Disk. I'll bet that if you
    ran the Dfrag, it will blow up too.

    Best practice is to shutdown anything running while using Scan Disk or
    Defrag.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 23, 2004

  3. Bob

    Stuart Guest

    I am not sure whether the OP is referring to an error before windows
    loads, if he is then the spyware programs or any others for that matter,
    will not be causing the problem.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jul 23, 2004
  4. Bob

    Wizard Guest

    Since scandisk on XP runs at boot all of the above are shutdown.

    Wizard, Jul 23, 2004
  5. Bob

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Does Win 2K do the same thing? The only time I have used Scan Disk ever is on the
    work machine when it's a hard shutdown using FAT32 and it goes through that
    procedure of running Scan Disk. I have never used Scan Disk on a NTFS machine.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 23, 2004
  6. Bob

    Thor Guest

    Just ran into this with a customer's system recently. It was ZoneAlarm that
    was causing it. Apparantly one of their drivers loads early enough in the
    boot sequence that it screws with the AUTOCHK utility. Try uninstalling that
    if you have it.

    Thor, Jul 23, 2004
  7. Bob

    WebWalker Guest

    Gosh !! BSOD in Windows XP ??
    I hear that BSOD do appear just that XP will intercept it before the
    user can ever see it.

    WebWalker, Jul 23, 2004
  8. Bob

    mark mandel Guest

    I personally haven't done this but read somewhere you can go to the Run box
    and type in "sfc/ scannow"(without quotes)to restore the autochk file.

    mark mandel, Jul 23, 2004
  9. Bob

    Trent© Guest

    I didn't know you could run scandisk with NTFS. I can't even find it
    on my XP system.

    Ya learn somethin' new every day.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    NUDITY...birth control for folks over 50!

    Trent©, Jul 24, 2004
  10. Bob

    Thor Guest

    You know that the OP meant CHKDSK. It's clear from the context of his post.

    Thor, Jul 24, 2004
  11. Bob

    Trent© Guest

    Actually, I really didn't. I thought maybe there was something new
    that I hadn't heard of...like maybe a new version of scandisk.

    Anyway...how is it 'clear from the context of his post'?

    His posts...and yours...with probably be archived. For posterity
    sake, SOMEBODY should correct him.

    Trent©, Jul 24, 2004
  12. Bob

    Thor Guest

    This part:

    "I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several times
    that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I get the
    following message on the blue screen where the scan progress should be
    shown: "Can not open file system for direct access.""

    First, since he says "the last several times", this indicates that he has
    been successful on prior occasions. Clearly since scandisk isn't part of
    WinXP, and doesn't support NTFS, he was running the boot-time CHKDSK. CHKDSK
    will not run on the boot volume from within the GUI. It forces you to
    restart so it can have unfettered access to the drive. Hence, the reason he
    mentioned restarting to run it. Secondly, the error message he is getting,
    is from CHKDSK when it can't access the file system. It's simple deductive
    reasoning. Dealing with customers for 8 years now, and their propensity to
    mangle the terminology when describing their computer problems, I have
    gotten pretty good at reading between the lines, and understanding what they
    are talking about by paying close attention to the context. I've already
    seen ZoneAlarm cause this trouble and that particular error message with
    CHKDSK, which is why I asked him about that. My theory was correct.
    You'll notice, I never used the term "scandisk" in my reply. I said
    "AUTOCHK", which is the program responsible for the scheduled boot-time
    CHKDSK in XP.

    Thor, Jul 24, 2004
  13. Bob

    Trent© Guest

    Yes...that's what he said...running scandisk.
    Correct. But I run it on XP on a regular basis.
    That's the part that threw me. And since MSFT makes changes to its
    software all the time, I thought maybe they had adapted their version
    to work on NTFS. You'll notice I didn't tell him that he was
    wrong...at that point...'cause I really didn't know.

    When he next posted...and detailed the path to the program he was
    running...I then knew he was running CHKDSK instead of scandisk.

    His post CLEARLY said scandisk...and I took him on the value of his
    post. At that point, I had no evidence that he was incorrect. And
    neither did you...or you would have corrected him.
    Sure it will.
    Only if you want to allow it to do repairs, etc.
    And so have I. But I don't jump in unless I'm sure that he's
    wrong...and I wasn't sure.

    And neither were you. I've seen a lot of your posts...and you don't
    let these type of inaccuracies slide by.
    But I feel you went to the extreme...your call, of course. I don't
    think it was necessary to completely uninstall the program...as I
    posted to him later.

    Moving on...

    Trent©, Jul 25, 2004
  14. Bob

    ProfGene Guest

    I don't know what is causing the problem but you might try running it in the
    safe mode.

    ProfGene, Jul 25, 2004
  15. Bob

    Thor Guest

    Actually in the case I dealt with, it was necessary to completely uninstall
    it. Merely stopping the processes didn't cover it. That WAS the first thing
    attempted, of course.

    Thor, Jul 25, 2004