Can't print over wirelss network

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jimmycricket, May 6, 2006.

  1. jimmycricket

    jimmycricket Guest

    Hi, have a prob with my mates network.

    Spent 3 days on this and it is driving me up the wall.

    There are 4 machines and 1 printer, (all machines fully patched)

    Machine one has XP Media centre and has the printer attached via USB
    cable

    Machines two is XP Pro laptop

    Machine three and four are XP home laptops

    No machines have security set on them for logging in, you just get
    right in when it starts

    All machines are set with the same workgroup name

    All machines are on DHCP with reserved addresses via his router

    No firewalls are activated on any of the machines and any 3rd party
    ones have been removed (ie norton).

    \\machineaddress\sharename attaches to the printer through start/run
    add a printer etc etc etc (all the standard ways) I can even reboot
    machines and as you expect, printer is still there.

    Now after a good nights sleep the printing has stopped, it still
    appears in printers windows, when trying to re-connect we get a message
    saying that either the printer name has been mistyped or has lost it's
    connection to the server.......

    Anyone have any thoughts before I throw the machine out of the window.
    I know a lot of info may be missing here but it could be so many things
    I just don't know where to start with what to include and what not to

    Cheers for any help

    jimmycricket, May 6, 2006

  2. Do you know that you cannot access netbios shares (file and printer sharing)
    by default, from any passwordless logon, on XP? There is a registry setting
    or gpedit.msc setting (only available on XP pro) to reset that security
    feature, but I rather suggest setting up a password on every box (which has
    to be the same, like the username.
    Installed sp2 or another fixpack?

    Walter Mautner, May 6, 2006

  3. jimmycricket

    Parking Mad Guest

    Been away from machine for a while so couldn't reply, cheers for that, can't
    believe I missed that

    Parking Mad, May 16, 2006