Can't port number out from Sky??

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by CD, Nov 4, 2014.

  1. CD

    CD Guest

    I did post a thread earlier about problems porting my number from Sky to
    EE, this has now happened with Plusnet too, it keeps saying phone order
    rejected.

    I've just spent a good 30 minutes on the phone to Sky who have basically
    said I can't port out my number as it's been ported too many times
    previously. It's not Sky preventing the port but it appears to be BT
    Openreach's systems rejecting it.

    The number was Diamond Cable/NTL until 2004 when it was ported to BT.
    Line rental was paid to BT until a year ago with various BB providers -
    F2s>Sky>O2>Sky again, the line rental went to Sky last year.

    So in 10 years the line has gone NTL>BT>Sky & this is too many times??

    I'd like to contact Openreach to sort this, but it seems difficult to do,
    their site just says contact your provider.

    Anyone know who I could contact at Openreach to sort this?

    Thanks

    CD, Nov 4, 2014

  2. You cannot contact Openreach they only deal with operators. You need to
    get either your current provider or you new chosen supplier (Plusnet?)
    to sort out the problem. In theory Plusnet since they, presumably, want
    your business. On the other hand given your history of moving
    frequently they may think it's not worth the bother :)

    Peter

    Peter Andrews, Nov 4, 2014

  3. First of all - Openreach will not talk to you. You are supposed to
    talk to your current provider.

    Porting is a mess, but the one most important point is "Who is the
    range holder?", i.e. who did Ofcom allocate the number block to?
    In this case I'd guess it was Diamond, so the current range holder
    will be Virgin Media. But this needs to be checked.

    When you do a "subsequent port" in effect what happens is that the
    line is returned to the range holder, then ported to the new gaining
    provider. This is so the routing of calls works without having a
    string of redirects.

    If you want to go to EE then I don't see how Openreach is involved -
    BT will be routing calls to the range holder, and will continue to do
    so. It is up to Virgin to do the change, and they route the calls.

    As I work in the telephone industry I may have a contact to get some
    advice if you want to drop me an email. I'll need the first 7 digits
    of the telephone number to check with Ofcom who is the current range
    holder - or you could look it up on the Ofcom site.

    Regards,
    Harry.

    Harry Broomhall, Nov 4, 2014
  4. Nope, but ...

    http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/phone/problems-and-complaints/adr-schemes/

    Adrian Caspersz, Nov 4, 2014
  5. CD

    Woody Guest

    PoI: where does one find these block allocations on the
    OfCom web site? I can't find them, or maybe I'm asking the
    wrong question?

    Woody, Nov 4, 2014
  6. CD

    CD Guest

    CD, Nov 4, 2014
  7. Peter Andrews, Nov 4, 2014
  8. Go to magsys.co.uk and enter your number in codelookup - that will tell you
    who the block belongs to.

    R. Mark Clayton, Nov 5, 2014