can't ping each other

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by DaveC426913, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. DaveC426913

    DaveC426913

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm just about ready to throw my hands up in despair. I am computer savvy but networking stuff is magic to me.

    I have two computers on my Linksys wired/wireless home network. A laptop running XP Home with a wireless connection and a desktop running XP Home with a wired connection. They both use the AP/router to connect to the internet. (I also have a second repeater AP/router, since the wireless signal is incredibly crappy, but you can ignore that for now.)

    I want to be able to share files between them. They can't see each other. At some point one was able to ping the other, but now neither can ping the other. I guess this is a firewall thingy?

    My laptop IP is 192.168.1.103 (which changes everytime I reconnect)
    My desktop IP is 192.168.1.101
    When I ping 192.168.1.101 from my laptop it times out.

    My desktop can't even see the MSHOME workgroup. I have no idea why. (I've checked its workgroup, which is MSHOME.)

    Help!

    Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
    DaveC426913, Nov 2, 2006