Can't open any sub-folders or load web-pages.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by English Patient, Sep 23, 2006.

  1. Have eMachine with WindowsXP

    Can open My Documents fine but when I try to open a folder within My Documents
    I get the following error message:

    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error !
    Program C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    abnormal program termination

    I can open any folder on My Desktop, or any shortcut to a folder I have on
    My Desktop, but if I try to open any folders within the open one I get that
    error message.

    I've just gone to [tools] and [folder options] and changed the browse fodler options
    from [open each folder in the same window] to [open each folder in its own window]
    and I can now open 'sub' folders.

    But when I try to load any web-favourites I get the error message.
    Even when I type a web address I get the message.

    I've just done a complete system restore (with backup) and the problem
    went away, but now it is back.

    Any ideas ???

    EP.

    English Patient, Sep 23, 2006

  2. I've just found that by making a desktop shortcut to google I can successfully
    open the webpage. And once I have this open I can use my favourites ok.
    But trying to open a web-page directly from an open folder I get the error.

    English Patient, Sep 23, 2006

  3. There must be a name for someone who asks a particular question,
    the answer to which could be v.easily found my putting said question
    into google.

    In my defense I thought my problem was preventing my from opening
    any web-pages.

    I googled, I dnlded BHOCaptor 0.5 (wthtmb) and bingo everything is rosy.

    I guess I didn't need to do that damn complete-system restore thing
    afterall.

    EP.

    English Patient, Sep 23, 2006