    to send "Go Away" when the user runs BitTorrent protocol.
    Such a DPI box can also send [RST] at the wrong time. "

    I think I get what you're saying - to troubleshoot. Too bad I keep falling asleep after reading the "sc__" word in the more common paragraph above. I keep having to read over!

    thekmanrocks, Nov 27, 2013

  2. Julie Bove

    Robert Baer Guest

    WOW!
    And, from the description, there is NO CLUE that one can put in a
    REAL file name or part of a file name (eg: filetype).
    It looks as if some obscure hex handle "name" was required.
    Thanks.
    Now that i am loaded for BAER, i bet ten cents that I will not see a
    locked file.

    Robert Baer, Nov 27, 2013

  3. Julie Bove

    Robert Baer Guest

    I owe you ten cents; FIVE PDF files locked up.
    On the other hand, that Handle process did NOT work; NONE of those
    files were found.
    So i was forced to use the power-to-computer-off reset scheme.
    Real PITA!

    Robert Baer, Nov 27, 2013
  4. Julie Bove

    Paul Guest

    I'm not having any luck in a search engine, finding
    a reference to the problem. I've seen your problem.
    It was miserable. I used to deal with that problem every
    day on the work computer. But I'm not having any
    luck in a search engine. If I could find the right
    terminology, I could see whether anyone figured it
    out or not.

    You've probably seen the case, where you plug in
    a USB device, go to do a Safely Remove, and it's an Explorer
    window that is keeping the USB device open. I see
    that on my current OS, but it doesn't happen very often.

    Whereas, back in the Win2K days, I used to have that
    busy file problem, every stinking day.

    On the Unix boxes I used back in the same era, if
    they told you a file was busy, it really was busy,
    and exiting the program keeping it open, seemed to work.
    But Windows could pull this crap, and you could never
    figure out (short of a reboot), how to fix it.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 27, 2013
  5. Julie Bove

    Robert Baer Guest

    Back in the good old daze of DOS,this never happened.
    Open/create a file. do read or write or both,close it and it was free
    by any other program AKA process.
    Most of the DOS variants would not allow a second process to access a
    file in use, even on a read-only basis, and those had no direct means of
    testing for busy status.
    But there were a few versions that not only had TEST, LOCK, and i
    think UNLOCK; those allowed simultaneous read and write of any file.
    The gotcha was the local contents of the most recent file user was
    what would be found by all other users.
    So, in a database, if user 1 corrected a specific record from "sam"
    to "Sam", and another user corrected that same record from "sam" to
    "Joe", the result in the database depended on who was last.
    That is to say, the local contents was written to the master only
    when the local contents was closed.
    Naturally, the master could not be written at the same time via two
    or more processes.
    Within the constraints above,there was NEVER any locked file after
    everyone was done.

    Some languages could open a file for more than one process; the
    benefit was one could write to a database file, open a second handle,
    close the first ensuring a full write (none of the irksome lost 256-byte
    syndrome) and NOT slowing down real R/W of the file.
    It takes a significant amount of time to open a file, so use of an
    extra handle was a significant benefit.

    Now, you take a buggy, swiss cheese, made with patches on patches on
    patches OS, and Hoo Nose WTF happens and/or does not happen.
    This is what must be going on:
    1) A program opens a file; matters not R, W, R/W; file handle is
    created with internal hex designation is associated to filename.
    2) User closes the program; filename association is de-linked.
    3) IFFI the OS was not busy doing one of the hundred other processes,
    then it would have the time and "luxury" of de-linking the internal hex
    handle designation.
    4) Otherwise the "knowledge" of that handle is lost in the scurrying
    around (like a lost rat) dong other things.
    5) It is possible that there is a 3-way association: filename, hex
    handle, and file buffer(S).

    Having more than one file buffer to shuffle information around can
    make for messy results, ESPECIALLY inaccessible groups of memory - AKA
    "memory leaks".

    It is really STUPID and wasteful (of memory and time) to "quick open
    a file to small buffer" to then copy to ANOTHER (usually larger) buffer
    where real work is done.
    But there was a time, that seemed to be THE WAY TO DO IT.
    Such garbage may even be buried in an OS even now; think of the extra
    handles!

    Robert Baer, Nov 27, 2013