    with anything.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

    alan, May 21, 2009

  2. Is your account and administer? Have you tried to run regedit (don't do
    it, just try to open it Start -> Run -> regedit

    Chris P. Bacon, May 21, 2009

  3. alan

    VanguardLH Guest

    So are you logged in under an admin-level account so you have permission
    to install software?

    If you still cannot install under an admin-level account, go into
    Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel to uninstall ALL versions of
    the Java runtime softwares. Then install just one version.

    Make sure you get the plug-in from java.sun.com, not from some site that
    alerts you need it. http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp and
    pick the "Java SE Runtime Environment" download. If you have the 64-bit
    version of Windows XP, make sure to select the Windows x64 download.

    VanguardLH, May 21, 2009
  4. alan

    alan Guest

    Well, I've always *thought* I had administrative privileges --- never had
    any problems installing other programs like Quicktime, Adobe Flash, etc.
    How do I check to see if I *do* have admin privileges? And if I don't, how
    do I get them?
    No, I haven't tried to run regedit. Since I don't feel comfortable editing
    my registry, I don't even want to try . . .
    Thanks . . .

    alan, May 21, 2009
  5. alan

    alan Guest

    Since I've installed other software in the past, I assume I'm logged in at
    admin-level. How do I know if it *is* admin level? (I'm the only user and
    it's not on any network).
    If, for some weird reason, I longer am admin-level, how do I correct that?
    There are no previous versions of Java on my computer.
    I hadn't downloaded it from that particular *page* of sun, so I tried the
    link you supplied --- same result, same error message.

    Thanks.

    alan, May 21, 2009
  6. alan

    Dan C Guest

    Classic symptoms of a hard drive in need of formatting. Git-r-done.

    Dan C, May 21, 2009
  7. Citation fom a thread in
    http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=148774

    "The error message was actually coming from the Microsoft Installer, not
    from anything related to National Instruments. Also, ironically, what the
    message said was spot on with one exception, while I personally had access
    to the registry key, the installer didn’t. What I ended up doing was going
    into the registry using regedit and setting the permissions on the key in
    questions such that “Everyone†had full access. After that I uninstalled
    LabView then reinstalled and it worked fine this time. The step by step
    follows:

    1) Open the registry editor by selecting "Run" from the start menu and then
    typing in "regedit".

    2) Browse through the registry and select the entry mentioned in the error
    message.

    3) Choose "Permissions..." from either the edit menu or by right-clicking on
    the registry key's parent directory.

    4) Click the "Advanced" button to add a new user.

    5) Type in "Everyone" as the new user and click OK (it may not be necessary
    to give everyone full control but this is what I did and it worked).

    6) Configure the permissions for user "Everyone" to "Full Control"

    7) Uninstall LabView (if necessary) and re-install."

    (Of course, you may omit step 7 here)

    wisdomkiller & pain, May 21, 2009
  8. alan

    VanguardLH Guest

    Use the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and look at your account
    under which you log into Windows. Look next to the icon for a summary
    of account settings. Also, if you don't see the "Change my account
    type" then you are NOT logged under an admin-level account. If your
    account is not an admin-level account, logout and login using the
    built-in Administrator account.

    VanguardLH, May 21, 2009
  9. alan

    alan Guest

    In User Accounts, it shows:
    Pick a task ...
    change an acct
    crearte a new acct
    change the way users log on or off

    or pick an acct to change
    (under which two icons show: "Administrator [Computer Administrator]" and
    "Guest" [Guest acct is off]

    Although it's a bit different from what you've described, I'd say it's safe
    to assume from the above that I am, in fact, logged in on an admin-level
    account.

    Footnote: as I think I mentioned before, I've downloaded and installed
    plenty of programs before, and just to test it again, I successfully
    downloaded and installed GIMP just a few minutes ago with no problems . . .
    I also tried downloading and installing an older version of Runtime (5.0),
    but got the same error message . . . very weird.
    Thanks again for your help.

    alan, May 21, 2009
  10. alan

    VanguardLH Guest

    Guess it was obvious to me but not to you.
    Pick an account.
    Pick an account. However, since only Administrator is shown, that must
    be the account under which you have been logging under -- a very UNWISE
    decision. If your user profile gets corrupted, you won't have an
    admin-level account to repair the corrupted profile or to define a new
    user account. The Administrator account should NEVER be used for
    anything other than an emergency.

    It's a bit odd that you had no clue as to under what account you were
    logging into Windows.
    Right-clicking on My Computer icon in the desktop and looking at
    properties would've shown the account name under which you login.
    Haven't a clue WHOSE runtime libraries you installed.

    Have you gone into the registry and right-clicked on the identified key
    to then look at what permissions are on that key?

    Have you tried booting into Windows' Safe Mode and then tried the
    stand-alone Flash installer?

    VanguardLH, May 21, 2009
  11. alan

    alan Guest

    Perhaps it's odd to you, but I had no idea as to what account I was using
    because I never had to "log in" to my computer at home; I just turn it on.

    First tried Java Runtime Version 6 from the site you mentioned earlier
    (http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp), then tried Java Runtime
    Version 5 from olderversion.com
    (http://www.oldversion.com/download_Java_Platform_5.0_Update_15.html).
    While there were no problems with downloads, I was not able to install
    either one of them . . .

    Just now did so. It shows Administrator ("full" and "read" are checked,
    "special permissions" is unchecked)

    No, I haven't tried that. What do you mean by "stand-alone Flash
    installer"? (It's not Adobe Flash Player I'm trying to install, it's Java
    Runtime Environment --- are you suggesting that I try installation in Safe
    Mode?

    I'm sure I've been revealing my computer ignorance and I do appreciate your
    patience and thank you for all your help.

    wisdomkiller & pain, May 21, 2009
  14. alan

    VanguardLH Guest

    alan wrote:
    One, it means you never defined a password for the Administrator
    account. That means anyone can walk up to your computer and be you to
    do whatever they way. Two, I believe it also means you will never be
    able to define a scheduled task since Task Scheduler requires a
    password for events you define for it.

    Are you logging into a workgroup (typical for a home PC) or are you
    logging under a domain (typical for a work host)? A local
    Administrator account has all permissions but a domain Administrator
    account (for your host only) may not have full permissions.
    I just looked myself. Administrator is not listed. However, the
    Everyone and SYSTEM groups are listed and have Full and Read
    permissions selected. I then checked each subkey since those represent
    different versions of Java and they also had the Everyone and SYSTEM
    groups listed with Full and Read permissions. If you check the
    advanced settings for each of those keys and subkeys, they should be
    inheriting their permissions from the parent. That means the Javasoft
    parent key should also list the Everyone and SYSTEM groups with Full
    and Read permission and the same for the SOFTWARE parent key. I have
    seen users report the 1402 error when the SOFTWARE key didn't have
    sufficient permissions.

    You said the Administrator account was listed. Was it just
    "Administrator" or was it "Administrators"? One is an account, the
    other is a group.

    Is the Everyone and SYSTEM groups listed in those permissions? I don't
    even have the Administrator account listed (because it is included
    under the Everyone group). Make sure both Everyone and SYSTEM groups
    are listed (I don't remember which one is used by Microsoft's
    installer). What I've read of this error points to a permissions
    problem (e.g.,
    http://www.sperrysoftware.com/kb/qu...,+or+contact+your+support+personnel."+message).

    Before making any changes to the registry, be sure to export the keys
    to provide for recovery.
    Oops, it was a l-o-n-g night. In Safe Mode, use the downloaded latest
    JRE installer. When you go to their site, you are given the choice of
    downloading their online installation file. This is not the JRE but a
    downloader. You download it, run it, and it downloads and installs the
    JRE. It's only 0.58MB in size. Instead download their offline
    installation file which is 15.53MB and run that one.

    Many security programs are inactive in Safe Mode and why I suggested
    rebooting into it. However, most good anti-virus program are still
    active in Safe Mode. Make sure your anti-virus program or any other
    security programs you installed are inactive when doing the install.

    Although you say that there is no Java currently installed in your
    host, open Task Manager and check under its Processes to make sure
    there is no java.exe process running.

    Do you also see the 1402 error message in the Event Viewer? If so,
    does it have any more info than the error message that you saw?

    You said that no Java is installed on your host. Just to be sure, are
    there NO Java entries listed in Add/Remove Programs applet? In
    Internet Options -> Programs -> Manage Add-ons, and selecting to show
    all add-ons (for IE8), are any Java plug-ins listed?

    Are you using or have you used any registry cleaner utility? Those can
    screw over the registry. Even if they show you what they propose to
    change, users often don't understand the registry and let the cleaner
    go ahead and make changes which are not valid. Some include backups so
    you can revert from their changes (but if your host becomes unbootable
    then you can't get into Windows to run their cleaner to do their
    restore).

    VanguardLH, May 21, 2009
  15. alan

    alan Guest

    (1) My computer is at home, I live by myself, and keep an eye on my guests,
    so I'm not really worried about anyone doing what they want
    (2) I've never used Task Scheduler, nor do I plan to.
    Logging into Workgroup.
    It's listed as "Administrator" (singular). And while the key for JVE lists
    only that permission (full and read), the "parent" (?) key, labeled
    "Javasoft" lists both "Administrator" (full and read checked) and "System"
    (full and read NOT checked, special permissions is checked.

    (Looking at a few other keys for other programs, none of the ones I've seen
    list "Everyone")
    No java.exe is running, even when the page in question
    (http://www.islamic-awareness.org/History/Islam/Papyri/PERF558.html) is
    being viewed quite well in IE6. (It was Firefox that told me I needed the
    JVE and which prompted all this . . .)

    No, it does not show up in the Event Viewer

    No Java entries in the Add/Remove programs. However --- aha! (maybe) ---
    among the add-ons listed as "Add-ons that have been used by Internet
    Explorer" (although it's IE 6 I've got, not IE8) is: "Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV
    Helper". It shows that it's Enabled.
    I've never used a registry cleaner.

    Thank you again for all your help.

    alan, May 21, 2009
  16. alan wrote:

    Well, since you still have IE6, you may have had luck with the builtin
    msjava vm then.

    wisdomkiller & pain, May 21, 2009

    wisdomkiller & pain, May 21, 2009
  18. alan

    VanguardLH Guest

    Is a path for that add-on listed (in IE6's listing of add-ons)? If so,
    does it point to C:\Program Files\Java\<version>\bin? The add-on
    couldn't be enabled unless the file for it existed. If it exists, there
    *is* something of Java installed on your host. If you use Windows
    Explorer to visit that path, are there files there (you may need to show
    hidden files)?

    Also, is there a Java applet under Control Panel? If so, what is listed
    when you click the About button under the General tab panel?

    If Sun Java were uninstalled, it is odd that there is a Javasoft
    registry entry. There seems to be something of Java still installed.
    See if http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 helps.

    Following the following instructions to determine if you still have the
    old and defunct Microsoft Java VM installed. See instruction at:

    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_msvm.xml

    VanguardLH, May 22, 2009
  19. alan

    alan Guest

    Yes, there it is --- in C:\Program Files\JRE\ --- a 15.2 MB application
    labeled "jre-6u7-windows-i586-p.exe", created Jan 19,2009. Funny it
    doesn't show up in add/remove programs . . . Should I delete it or in some
    other way get rid of it?
    No, there is no Java applet under Control Panel . . .
    Would you recommend using that "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility" referred
    to in that article before attempting anyhing else? It does say "Caution is
    advised" . . .

    Yes, it does show an entry for Microsoft Java VM. Do you suggest that if I
    got rid of that per the instructions, that the JRE might actually work? Or
    that it may be successfully installed? (Presently, there is no Java (Sun)
    entry in the Advanced Settings in Internet Options. The only box checked
    under Microsoft VM is "JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled". Would
    UNchecking that box have any effect?

    Thanks SO much for all the help and info you've given me.

    alan, May 22, 2009
  20. alan

    VanguardLH Guest

    That looks to be a downloaded installation file for the JRE. The add-on
    can't use that. You can just delete it. No other files under there?

    There was no C:\Program Files\Java folder?

    Does the Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper add-on shown in IE give the path to
    the executable file used for that add-on?
    I'm skeptical that it will help. Its purpose is to remove non-valid
    entries from the Add/Remove Programs applet but there is also mention
    that it might do some registry cleanup of programs that get cleaned out.
    Is this a fresh install of Windows? The MS JVM was discontinued (forced
    by Sun) and shouldn't be used any longer. Uninstall the MS JVM per the
    instructions in the KB article. You need to use the Sun JVM.

    As I recall, I did not actually have to uninstall the MS JVM to get the
    Sun JVM installed. So I still suspect there is a problem with the
    permissions on the registry keys.

    VanguardLH, May 22, 2009