Can't hold a connection?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Dec 31, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi I have been having problems with my computer disconecting from my wireless
    network and I know little about computers let alone networking. I have tried
    a few things sujjested to me in an earliear post. Disabling WZC, updated
    driver which will work with SP2 and I have also installed Boingo which came
    with the wireless card. When I first diasabled WZC and aand installed an
    updatred drive the connection worked fine. However after a day it started to
    discconect again with WZC still disabled. After a system restore and
    reinstalling the driver it worked fine again untill the next day when it
    started to disconect again. I have looked at the properties of the wirless
    card on device manager and have noticed the properties under the advanced
    tab. I have an option to choose the network type either infrastructure or
    802.11 Ad-hoc. It is set to infrastructure by default. When set to infra
    structure the netgear driver shows a weak connection. I changed the network
    type to 802.11 Ad-hoc after reading the user manual. This gave me a strong
    signal and connection with the netgear driver, however the windows wireless
    would no longer connect or detect to the network and the driver does not
    configure the IP address of my computer and gives it a default of 0.0.0.0.

    I am clueless (as usual although am doing my best to learn)

    Cheers Screamer

    Guest, Dec 31, 2004

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Screamer, your problem seems to be that the card is not "renewing" the ip.
    Renewing the ip means something like refreshing and getting a new ip, what it
    concerns me is that yuor computer may have an "static" ip (little knowledge
    about wi-fi) and you just overwrote the settings. Try restoring and then call
    the tech support of your isp just to check if the infrastucture is set
    correctly.

    Guest, Dec 31, 2004