Can't get wireless NIC to connect to router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by tron9901, Jun 22, 2007.

  1. tron9901

    tron9901 Guest

    Hello all.

    While troubleshooting a friend's network, I can't get a wireless NIC
    to work. Here are the stats on the network:

    ISP:
    AT&T DSL

    Router:
    Linksys Wireless G 2.4 GHz router model WRT54G

    Computer A (one network card):
    - Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

    Computer B (two network cards):
    - Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    - Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter

    Computer B, a Dell desktop running Windows XP, is where the problem
    lies. The wireless NIC shows up (in Control Panel...Network
    Connections) as working just fine, excellent reception; but I can't
    ping the (default gateway IP address) router successfully. And of
    course no internet access.

    The (wired) Intel NIC is disabled. I've tried enabling it and it makes
    things worse.
    The XP firewall is turned off, and there's no encryption enabled on
    the wireless NIC.
    I've tried both manual IP settings, and DHCP.
    I've tried repair, and disable then enable of the wireless NIC.
    I've powered the router down for a few minutes, then powered it back
    on.
    No luck.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    - Dave

    tron9901, Jun 22, 2007

  2. tron9901

    Barb Bowman Guest

    you mention no wireless encryption on the NIC, but how is the
    wireless router setup?

    log into the wireless router, make sure that the SSID is not set to
    the default name of Linksys - change it to something unique.

    Then, I'd setup at least WPA on the router and use WPA on the
    computer.

    Do things change after you do this?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jun 22, 2007

  3. tron9901

    James Egan Guest

    Look at the router configuration and ensure there are no MAC access
    restrictions.

    Jim.

    James Egan, Jun 22, 2007
  4. Hi
    Pin pointing the trouble in Wireless networks involves a process of going
    methodically through the configuration to the point that is causing the
    problem.
    The following involves some reading but it includes most of the information
    needed for solving Wireless issues.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 22, 2007
  5. tron9901

    Guest Guest

    I had a similar problem with Vista. Two XP laptops could connect, but the
    new Vista one could not. The message was "this network is hidden" and all of
    the help messages and forum threads pointed me toward changing SSID
    broadcast.

    Turns out the real problem was the Wireless Access Point was configured to
    only allow specific MAC addresses connect. The error message for this and
    for SSID problems are the same, hence the misdirection.

    Resolution was:
    1. Open up a command prompt window on the laptop
    2. Run ipconfig /all and write down the physical address of the wireless
    adapter
    3. Log onto the Wireless Router, add this address to the list of allowed
    MAC addresses

    Guest, Jun 22, 2007