    professional logo and then it restarts itself again from POST I get the
    option to load windows normally or safe mode (Selecting this don't work just
    loads of unknown file paths) Neither option works .any ideas?

    Melv, Feb 9, 2008

  2. Melv

    philo Guest

    At this point...it's hard to say for sure...
    and there are a number of options to try...

    The easiest thing to try would be to hit F8
    just before windows loads...and instead of trying safe mode...
    try : Last good configuration.

    However...it would not be too bad of an idea to run a few basic hardware
    diagnostics.

    One thing to try is a RAM test

    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    Another thing to try is going to the website of the manufacturer of the
    harddrive
    then getting and running their harddrive diagnostic

    Also..if you have the XP cd you can boot from it
    and run chkdsk from the recovery console

    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    Once you get to the recovery console...first try running this: chkdsk

    Type and enter exactly that and see what it says.
    If there are a few errors listed...
    the next thing to do is this: chkdsk /r

    That will repair any logical errors...and hopefully the system will boot
    normally

    If you run chkdsk (without any switches after it) it will only list errors
    but not attempt to repair any.

    If there are a *huge* amount of errors listed...do not go any further...
    post back for add'l info

    As a last resort...a repair install may be needed

    philo, Feb 9, 2008

  3. Melv

    richard Guest

    Had a similar problem. By any chance, did you recently try to
    uninstall a Roxio product? I did that once and wound up with the same
    problem.
    Hopefully you have the XP install disk and registration code key.
    Insert the disk and try to install XP over itself or do a repair and
    see what happens.
    I tried that and it seemed to help me at least get into safe mode.
    Once you're in safe mode, do a system restore.

    richard, Feb 10, 2008
  4. Melv

    Melv Guest

    Thanks will give it a go

    Melv, Feb 10, 2008
  5. Melv

    chuckcar Guest

    Paths to what? details would certainly help. Sounds like a virus may
    have deleted files.

    chuckcar, Feb 10, 2008

  6. Please post links to pictures of "Daughter" so we
    can get to work on your problem as soon as possible.

    (Particularly *@ntlworld.com ; *@newsfe6-win.ntli.net
    seems they always have relatives with problems, and
    ask with "any ideas?" I think it's some weirdo sitting
    around making-up problems, posting vaguely as possible,
    then at 11th hour posts a deus ex machina using his
    pre-determined and well-known sock-p00pette. My idea!)

    --
    My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

    http://www.jonregen.com/

    http://www.jonregen.com/audio/WORDS_MUSIC_2006-Finished_Wi.m3u

    http://cdbaby.com/mp3

    Bucky Breeder, Feb 12, 2008