Can't get Linksys WPC54G notebook adapter to work

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by rachey, Jan 14, 2007.

  1. rachey

    rachey Guest

    After a recent format and reinstall of XP, I can't seem to get my
    wireless card to work in my laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro A40).

    I've tried installing/uninstalling all the different versions of the
    drivers the Linksys site gives me with no success - it complains in the
    software that the card is "inactive".

    When I actually put the card in, XP recognises it as a "Network
    Controller" but can't seem to find a driver for it, even when I
    manually point it to the folder containing the unzipped driver files.

    A Google search shows that this is quite a common problem but noone
    seems to have a definitive solution..

    Can anyone help?

    TIA.
    Rachel.

    rachey, Jan 14, 2007

  2. Linksys used to have free 24/7 phone support (by Americans) that was pretty
    good. Not sure if they still do. Worth a call to the old 1-800 number
    anyway...

    Martin Kallikak, Jan 14, 2007

  3. rachey

    old man Guest

    After your format/install, you installed the Toshiba chipset and other Tosh
    specific drivers?
    The adapter would have been supplied with the drivers on CD, that way you
    get the right ones.
    Linksys also has phone support in the EU

    old man, Jan 14, 2007
  4. rachey

    rachey Guest

    I didn't get a CD with the laptop sadly as it's second hand - however I
    have installed everything available on the Toshiba site for the laptop
    - including chipset etc.

    Might have to phone them I suppose.. the annoying thing is, I've
    formatted before and it installed without a fuss!

    Thanks,
    Rachel

    rachey, Jan 14, 2007
  5. rachey

    old man Guest

    Linksys only lists a single driver, v3.100.64.0 32.6mb

    old man, Jan 14, 2007
  6. rachey

    Kenny Guest

    Also check your firewall. Disable it, install the drivers then enable it.

    Kenny, Jan 14, 2007
  7. rachey

    rachey Guest

    Just tried that and no change I'm afraid - am I right in saying, as
    long as the pc is recognising that the card is inserted, it's not an
    issue of Toshiba drivers?

    Ta
    Rachel

    rachey, Jan 14, 2007
  8. rachey

    rachey Guest

    Can you link me to that? When I go through the list of available
    products to download files for, there's lots of entries for WPC54G,
    with various versions?

    Thanks
    Rachel

    rachey, Jan 14, 2007