    the true widescreen)?

    Thanks.

    Adam Smith

    Adam Smith, Dec 10, 2003

  2. Adam Smith

    Richard C. Guest

    : : > If you have your DVD player set on 4:3 letterboxed and your set still
    : > does not have the bars on 1.85:1 movies, then either:
    : >
    : > A) Your DVD player is defective.
    : > or
    : > B) Your TV has about 25% overscan.
    :
    :
    : Or maybe --
    :
    : C) You have the zoom cranked up 30%.
    :
    =============
    yeah.....that too.................

    Richard C., Dec 10, 2003

  3. Adam Smith

    Scot Gardner Guest

    : > If you have your DVD player set on 4:3 letterboxed and your set
    : > still does not have the bars on 1.85:1 movies, then either:
    : >
    : > A) Your DVD player is defective.
    : > or
    : > B) Your TV has about 25% overscan.
    :
    :
    : Or maybe --
    :
    : C) You have the zoom cranked up 30%.
    :

    =============
    <<yeah.....that too.................>>

    Usually, when the "I can't get the letterbox format on my standard 4:3
    TV" problem is presented, taking the DVD player out of the 16:9 mode
    fixes things. After that, anamorphic DVDs are down-converted and
    geometric accuracy is restored.

    In this case, nothing seems to work. Unless I can personally see the
    "problem", I have run out of ideas.

    Scot Gardner, Dec 10, 2003
  4. Adam Smith

    Jordan Lund Guest

    16x9 or 1:78:1. Which means that if you have a 2.55:1 movie playing on
    a widescreen TV or monitor you will still have a slight black bar at
    the top and bottom.

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Dec 10, 2003
  5. Adam Smith

    Will Guest

    | I just want to reiterate that on 1.85:1 I *do* get the bars, only
    they
    | are slight. The zoom is set to 1.
    |
    | Therefore, is this a function of the size of my old tv (27") or also
    | the fact that it is an old tv and can't recognize the anamorphic
    | signal (such as the sony wega does and which squeezes it into true
    | wide format)?

    This has been explained a few dozen times to you already, but here it
    is again:

    Some films are 1.85:1, which have only "slight" black bars.

    Some films are 2.35:1, which have big black bars.

    I suspect you're just trolling at this point.

    Will, Dec 11, 2003