    Please help. The dvds I'm playing are North by Northwest and Silence
    of the Lambs. Both are supposed to have widescreen.

    Adam Smith

    Adam Smith, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Adam Smith

    Scot Gardner Guest

    Only the _MGM Silence of the Lambs_ is anamorphic, however, there was
    also a "fullscreen" MGM version of this title. On the other hand, _North
    by Northwest_ is definitely anamorphic widescreen. Therefore, you are
    trying to get the player to down-convert the 16:9 anamorphic image into
    a geometrically-correct 4:3 image.

    Since you have already tried the 4:3 letterbox and 4:3 pan and scan
    modes -- with no results -- the only thing I can think of is that you
    might have a zoom mode selected. Assuming that your player has a zoom
    mode, look for a zoom button on the remote, or in the picture menu.

    If this is not the problem, you might have a defective player.

    Scot Gardner, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Adam Smith

    Will Guest

    | Hi. I have a new Panasonic DVD model F85 and an old Zenith 27", model
    | SE2795W.
    |
    | I can't get letterbox format,no matter what I do. I choose 4:3
    | letterbox from the set up screen or 4:3 pan and scan and it makes no
    | difference, the image always fills the screen.
    |
    | Please help. The dvds I'm playing are North by Northwest and Silence
    | of the Lambs. Both are supposed to have widescreen.
    |
    | Adam Smith

    Or, it may be that you haven't set up your new DVD player yet -- by
    "set up", I mean follow the instructions that came with the new DVD
    player. Pay particular attention to the part where the DVD's player's
    on-screen setup menu asks you what kind of television you have (a 4:3
    set or a modern 16:9 set). I'd guess that it came from the factory
    preset at 16:9, but you need to tell it you have a typical 4:3 set. New
    players often need this instruction the first time. After setting it up
    it will remember it forever, even if the power goes out.

    Will, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Adam Smith

    Adam Smith Guest

    I'm a little confused here. I did exchange the unit, to a different
    manufacturer and had the same issue. I don't see how it could be the
    TV, though.

    In regards to the zoom, it is set at 1x, which descriptively the
    player terms "4:3 standard", even though in setup the unit is set to
    4:3 letterbox. Other zoom settings are 16:9 standard, European Vista,
    American Vista, Cinemascope1 and Cinemascope2.

    All of these, even the 16:9 standard still seem to take up the full
    screen, and not letterboxed!

    Still in need of help. May try the unit next with someone else's TV.

    Thanks in advance.

    Adam Smith, Dec 8, 2003
  5. Adam Smith

    Philip Traum Guest

    Hi. I have a new Panasonic DVD model F85 and an old Zenith 27", model
    You lucky bastard.

    Philip Traum, Dec 8, 2003
  6. Huh?

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 8, 2003
  7. Adam Smith

    Adam Smith Guest

    Haven't gotten a chance to try a different TV yet. But,

    I just got Apocalypse Now (the old version) and it is marked
    Widescreen--and it DOES have a pronounced letterbox when I play it.

    To recap the other dvd's and upon further investigation,

    silence of the lambs is marked 16*9 anamorphic transfer (1.85:1)---
    and does have slight, not pronouced letterbox

    north by northwest is marked widescreen version on the box, also
    stated aspresented in a "matted" widescreen format preserving the
    aspect ratio of its theatrical exhibition enhanced for widescreen
    tvs---it also has only a slight letterbox

    Does anyone know why the apocalypse now has a large letterbox and the
    rest slight. A Circuit City rep also told me that the letterbox is
    more pronounced on a larger screen, also more pronounced on a flat
    screen. Is this true?

    Thanks in advance again.

    Adam Smith, Dec 9, 2003
  8. Adam Smith

    DarkMatter Guest

    Figures that you would miss the joke.

    Remeber... the screen filler retards? He must be one to say that.

    DarkMatter, Dec 9, 2003
  9. Adam Smith

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Different movies have different aspect ratios. Some are wider than
    others, and will have larger letterbox bars. Not all movies are the
    same. See here for explanations:

    www.widescreen.org

    Do images on screen look vertically stretched? Are people and objects
    tall and skinny? It sounds like you've told your DVD player that you
    have a 16:9 widescreen television when you don't. If you have a standard
    non-widescreen TV, you should set the DVD player for "4:3 Letterbox".
    Sales reps are stupid.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 9, 2003
  10. Adam Smith

    Adam Smith Guest

    Check out comment#5 in this thread for my update in the predicament of
    various dvd formats and how to interpret them and the appearance of
    "borders." Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

    Adam Smith, Dec 9, 2003
  11. Adam Smith

    Richard C. Guest

    : Check out comment#5 in this thread for my update in the predicament of
    : various dvd formats and how to interpret them and the appearance of
    : "borders." Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    :
    ======================
    Only YOU can see them numbered that way.

    There are no such numbers on the posts.
    For example your post above is number cd587e4c.0312090637.6f5a5f4

    Richard C., Dec 9, 2003
  12. Adam Smith

    Richard C. Guest

    :
    : Does anyone know why the apocalypse now has a large letterbox and the
    : rest slight. A Circuit City rep also told me that the letterbox is
    : more pronounced on a larger screen, also more pronounced on a flat
    : screen. Is this true?
    :
    ===============
    Movies (WS, that is) have two major aspect ratios: 1.85 and 2.35.

    It has nothing to do with larger or flatter screens.

    Richard C., Dec 9, 2003
  13. Adam Smith

    Adam Smith Guest

    Sorry. I was referring to the numbered presentation in Google. I
    will repeat my post, with additional insights I have gained, with
    respect to why letterbox borders don't seem to be noticeable on my 4:3
    old zenith 27" tv selecting 4:3 letterbox on the dvd player:

    Haven't gotten a chance to try a different TV yet. But,

    I just got Apocalypse Now (the old version) and it is marked
    Widescreen--and it DOES have a distinct, pronounced letterbox borders
    at the top and bottom when I play it.

    To recap the other dvd's and upon further investigation,

    silence of the lambs is marked 16*9 anamorphic transfer (1.85:1)---
    and does have slight, barely noticeable not pronouced letterbox

    north by northwest is marked widescreen version on the box, also
    stated aspresented in a "matted" widescreen format preserving the
    aspect ratio of its theatrical exhibition enhanced for widescreen
    tvs---it also has only a slight letterbox

    Does anyone know why the apocalypse now has a large letterbox and the
    rest slight. A Circuit City rep also told me that the letterbox is
    more pronounced on a larger screen, also more pronounced on a flat
    screen. Is this true?

    I have noted from other posts that the reason that I can't see a
    noticeable letterbox border is perhaps because I have an old TV and it
    can't recognize the anamorphic signal, to squeeze the image into true
    wide format. Is this true?

    Also, if so, what do the new 4:3 hdtv's (such as Zenith) do when they
    squeeze an image into widescreen--is there any advantage over owning
    one of these models than say, a standard 4:3 Sony Wega, non hdtv which
    can recognize the anamorphic transfer and also shrink the image?

    Sorry to take over so much bandwith with my renewed posting.

    Thanks in advance again.

    Adam Smith, Dec 9, 2003
  14. Hi. I have a new Panasonic DVD model F85 and an old Zenith 27", model
    I've got a Pioneer DV-45A Elite. And, have it for about 1 year. No problems
    playing either my new DVDs or those that are older. I have found once or twice
    that a piece of lint on the DVD will cause it to skip. Problem is easy to
    cure, Just Tissue and some windex. But, you're right. When it happens it's
    annoying as all hell cause first thing you think is that either the DVD or the
    player has gone wrong.
    Best,

    Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

    MarkZimmerman, Dec 9, 2003
  15. Thing is that North by NorthWest was never intended to be shown at 4X3. It's
    meant for a wide screen so you should have black bars at the top and bottom.
    That's how it appears on my screen.

    MarkZimmerman, Dec 9, 2003
  16. Adam Smith

    Jordan Lund Guest

    There are multiple ratios for "Letterbox".

    16x9 = 1.78 : 1 ratio but some movies are 2.35:1 or even 2.55:1. Those
    films would have a much more pronounced letterbox that a film at 1.78
    to 1.

    A standard T.V. is 4x3 or 1.33:1.

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Dec 10, 2003
  17. Adam Smith

    Richard C. Guest

[...]

    ===================
    If you have your DVD player set on 4:3 letterboxed and your set still does not have
    the bars on 1.85:1 movies, then either:

    A) Your DVD player is defective.
    or
    B) Your TV has about 25% overscan.

    ==================

    Richard C., Dec 10, 2003
  18. Adam Smith

    Black Locust Guest

    1:78:1; otherwise known as 16x9. This is why you see those "Enhanced for
    16x9 televisions" notes on the back of many DVD's.

    Black Locust, Dec 10, 2003
  19. Adam Smith

    pc user Guest

    And what is the ratio of the "widescreen" TVs and computer monitors?

    pc user, Dec 10, 2003
  20. Adam Smith

    Scot Gardner Guest

    Or maybe --