Can't get both computers working together

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Sarah, Dec 26, 2004.

  1. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    Right. I'm on the laptop now, as it now has Internet connection (though
    not the PC).

    I run the XP network wizard

    I get the message "the network connections listed below are
    disconnected. Plug in your network cables or otherwise connect your
    network hardware and then click next"

    "local area connection 3Com 3C920 integrated fast Ethernet controller
    (3C905C-TX Compatible)"

    I have the option to ignore this with a click. It doesn't let me go any
    further otherwise. But why would it ask me to connect my hardware?
    After all, I am still connected to the Internet at this time. Should I
    ignore it?

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 28, 2004

  2. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    Meanwhile, I try the wired PC. I've got to the bit where they ask

    What do you want to do?
    Create a network setup disk
    Use the network setup disk I already have
    Use my Windows XP CD
    Just finish the wizard. I don't need to run the wizard on other computers.

    Normally, I would create a setup disk, but I guess I don't want to do
    that this time.

    What would you suggest?

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 28, 2004

  3. you shouldn't be using a wizard if your settings are already OK.

    What it is doing is guessing at what you need - it has spotted the
    wired ethernet interface on the laptop that you are using via wireless
    and noted it isn't plugged in, so helpfully suggests your network
    would work better if it were plugged in.

    Why not plug it in and pop out the wireless card (or turn it off) to
    see if you can get it all to work in "wired world"

    if you can't ping machines from each other and the router from either
    than the problem isn't fixed.

    I don't think you have said if you turned off firewalls on the LAN
    connections ??

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 28, 2004
  4. Sarah

    recursor Guest

    Yes click ignore it and carry on..

    Just finish the wizard you don't need a setup disk.

    recursor, Dec 28, 2004
  5. Sarah

    recursor Guest

    The settings are probably not ok already, it looks to me like it's windows that is only allowing one
    of the machines at a time to connect, not the router.

    recursor, Dec 28, 2004
  6. Sarah

    recursor Guest

    The 'settings' which were altered by the install of the new driver for the new card may not be ok,
    if the connection swaps from machine to machine it may be one of the OS's that is causing it.
    Screwing around with the existing settings via usenet hasn't solved the problem thus far, that's why
    I am suggesting a complete resetup. This HAS worked for me in the past on similar wireless/wired
    networks. In any case it's worth a try in lieu of anything else at the moment Sarah is starting to
    go round in circles.

    recursor, Dec 28, 2004
  7. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    Yep - always worth a try.

    Anyway, I did it! And guess what???

    ...............it didn't work.

    At least we've eliminated that one.

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 28, 2004
  8. TCP/IP addresses are, and as they were allocated by DHCP the
    elementary networking is functioning. I've forgotten if we got answers
    to the firewalls and router subnet questions. State of play is we
    can't ping between PCs.
    how would that work then ?

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 28, 2004
  9. Sarah

    recursor Guest

    How would it work... on two OS's with many million lines of code running many services
    simultaneously that can talk to each other over the network, (I asked about this earlier in the
    thread, the laptop can see the main box) nearly anything you can think of can happen.Anyway my
    suggestion didn't work and short of going round to Sarah's house and accessing the machine directly
    I don't see a solution but if you can solve her problem by going over the subnet masks and pings
    again respect to you.

    recursor, Dec 28, 2004
  10. well if we don't have TCP/IP connectivity between the devices
    concerned then internet access can only be an aspiration.

    I didn't think there was a way one PC could stop another on a LAN
    routing onto the internet via a router, short of being allocated the
    same IP address.

    Wizards are for people who believe in magic :)

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 28, 2004
  11. Sarah

    recursor Guest

    Yeah but the point is that both machines can connect, just not at the same time.
    Huh! one pc on a lan can do almost anything to another pc on it if the configurations happen to
    allow it.

    Yeah but everytime you use an install programme you are in effect using a wizard by another name
    since you are handing over control of your box to that program. Besides if Bill Gates isn't a
    fscking black magician I don't know who is.

    I do however appreciate that you are trying to help just as I was and I'm devastated to have failed
    so miserably :-}

    recursor, Dec 28, 2004
  12. I haven't understood the mechanism for this to work , leaving out
    remote logins and hacking type stuff, how can one PC on a LAN stop
    another PC from sending TCP/IP packets out onto the LAN ??

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 29, 2004
  13. Trying to figure out why either machine would work one at a time, I
    remembered an MTU issue I had on my LAN. The symptoms were that any
    machine could ping www.bbc.co.uk and the like happily, but one
    couldn't browse that web page at all (or any other).

    The solution was to set all the MTU values the same. Windows defaults
    to 1500 so they may already be the same but the MTU setting is card
    specific so changing the wireless card may have reverted to 1500 MTU
    when they had previously being changed to a smaller value.

    Visiting tweak test sites like the following will show the MTU in use,
    do this from both machines when they are "in the mood" :

    http://www.netmonitor.org/tools/ttest.php
    http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

    (both of these produce results pages where you can copy the URL and
    post here if its confusing - we're only looking for the MTU or MSS
    value from each machine)

    http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp is a utility for changing MTU, note
    that the value is interface specific ie the laptop may have different
    MTU values for wireless and wired LAN connection.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 29, 2004
  14. By running a DHCP server giving out incorrect infomation.

    Timothy Baldwin, Dec 29, 2004
  15. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    The MTU looks the same to me, but I'll post the results in case it
    throws anything else up.

    Laptop:-

    Tweakable settings:
    RWIN: 65535 (*)
    Window scaling: YES
    PMTUD: YES
    Time stamping: NO
    SACKS: YES
    MSS requested: 1460
    TTL remaining: 55

    Results of download test:
    Data bytes we sent: 143592 bytes
    Data packets we sent: 100
    Retransmitted data packets: 1
    Transfer efficiency: 99%
    Max packet size you sent (MTU): 1500
    Max packet size you received (MTU): 1500
    Data transmit time: 4.663 seconds
    Maximum idle time: 2999.3 milliseconds
    Transfer rate: 29568 bytes/sec (28.9 kilobytes/sec)

    Wired PC :-

    Tweakable settings:
    RWIN: 64240 (*)
    Window scaling: NO
    PMTUD: YES
    Time stamping: NO
    SACKS: YES
    MSS requested: 1460
    TTL remaining: 119

    Results of download test:
    Data bytes we sent: 144796 bytes
    Data packets we sent: 100
    Retransmitted data packets: 13
    Transfer efficiency: 87%
    Max packet size you sent (MTU): 1500
    Max packet size you received (MTU): 1500
    Data transmit time: 1.238 seconds
    Maximum idle time: 67.4 milliseconds
    Transfer rate: 96394 bytes/sec (94.1 kilobytes/sec)

    Just as I though. Double dutch :)

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 29, 2004
  16. Sarah

    PeeGee Guest

    I've been monitoring this thread and, like others, cannot see any
    problem with the settings..

    This problem sounds vaguely familiar - when you set up the new card,
    you didn't change the computer name, did you? The school I work at
    have had similar problems with name conflicts (when computers are
    moved about). Check in "control panel" under "system". Win98 reports a
    DHCP problem, but XP may just use the "alternate" IP address (I'm not
    yet familiar with XP). If you have not setup the alternate addresses,
    then the default will not be compatible with your network.

    When you accessed the router page, it is possible that the router
    restarts when you exit and, if the IP lease is short, re-allocated
    addresses via DHCP, giving the PC the first address access, which may
    account for the switch of internet access.

    PeeGee

    PeeGee, Jan 1, 2005