    router's log and post any salient parts of that and finally what make is the new wireless pc card
    you have? As far as all the other settings you have posted in reply to the other guys that all looks
    ok and it's encouraging that the router has at one time or another seen both computers.

    recursor, Dec 27, 2004

  2. what are the "Subnet masks" on the various devices, they usually look
    like 255.255.255.0 or similar. Are they all the same ?

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 28, 2004

  3. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    I can't tell, as I can only get the router page on one computer. The other
    computer insists on looking for a webpage 'page not displayed' error.

    Unless there's another way of getting this info from both computers??

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 28, 2004
  4. Sarah

    Roy Guest

    The router info will be the same regardless which computer you access it
    from.

    To get the info from the Network Devices do this on each computer

    Start > run > type cmd then hit OK
    in the doa window type ipconfig /all then hit enter

    HTH

    Roy, Dec 28, 2004
  5. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    From: "recursor"
    You can say that again! I set up the mail settings so that I could reply
    via this wired computer - try to reply and I get an error about not having a
    simple MAPI compatible mailer. Anyway, sorted out that.
    XP Pro
    Before I changed the card, and both were accessing the internet, my laptop
    could see the wired PC, but not vice versa. It wasn't a problem. The
    laptop is mine and I don't mind if they can't see what I'm doing :) We
    tried to get it to work both ways, but not for long....it didn't matter.
    I've found the log. I'm not sure what would be considered important. The
    incoming log table has various different 'source ip' and 'destination port
    numbers'. I'm unsure about what info I can post safely.

    The outgoing one has the LAN IP (numbers all the same). Various email and
    website addresses and then either HTTP, NNTP, or POP3.

    I know this wired PC has some adware that I haven't been able to get rid of
    despite Pest Patrol, Lavasoft, Spybot. Some of these addresses in the
    outgoing log refers to them. My main problem has been surfsidekick which I
    have attacked on many occasions, but I notice in the Log it has a mention.

    Another thing (don't know whether it's relevant, but in the list of web
    addresses, I have two mentions of 66.159.219.199 ??

    The wireless card is a Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter 2.4 GHz, 802.11g

    Thank you for your patience!

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 28, 2004
  6. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    what are the "Subnet masks" on the various devices, they usually look
    Okay, the one on the wired PC is 255.255.255.0. The laptop has decided that
    it cannot associate with AP (whatever that means), and isn't giving me a
    Subnet mask. I'm sure it was there earlier. Will keep trying - rebooting
    etc, and will come back when I get it.

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 28, 2004
  7. its part of the ipconfig /all got from the DOS propmpt, or right mouse
    the relevant network connection and look at Status/Support (also if
    you highlight a connection in Network Connections in XP it shows in
    the details panel on th eleft)

    What is the model of the router by the way ?

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 28, 2004
  8. that means it lost the signakl :-(

    also subnet mask off router ?

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 28, 2004
  9. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    Okay, the one on the wired PC is 255.255.255.0. The laptop has decided
    that
    okay...it's back now. Subnet Mask on both computers 255.255.255.0

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 28, 2004
  10. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    What is the model of the router by the way ?
    It's a Linksys Model BEFW11S4. 2.4 GHz 802.11b

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 28, 2004
  11. hopefuly same on router.

    Where did we get to ton the ping testing laptop->pc pc->router
    laptop->router etc

    if we haven't got the lowest level TCP/IP working we're stuffed

    all firewalls off ?

    I saw mantion of spyware, cwshredder.exe may be worth a go and Spyware
    Doctor from http://www.pctools.co.uk/ has helped me where others have
    failed.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 28, 2004
  12. Phil Thompson, Dec 28, 2004
  13. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    Pinging from wired pc (which seems fine at the moment)

    4 lines of 'reply'

    Packets: sent = 4, received = 4 (0% lost)

    Pinging from laptop (no internet - but does have it when PC doesn't)

    Request timed out
    Request timed out
    Request timed out
    Request timed out
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 28, 2004
  14. Sarah

    Roy Guest

    That's as it should be.

    As for accessing the router config web page, it appears you connect
    through a proxy server so you need to add the the router address
    http://192.168.1.1 to the exceptions in your advanced proxy settings.

    If you are using Internet explorer this is accessed from Tools >
    Internet Options > connections > LAN Settings > proxy server > advanced.

    HTH

    Roy, Dec 28, 2004
  15. Sarah

    recursor Guest

    http://www.scanspyware.net/info/SurfSideKick.htm Hi Sarah, as an aside to the main problem this
    link should kill surfsidekick.
    Next questions, bear with me.. At the same time as you installed the new card did you install any
    other software ...antivirus etc? Which service pack version of XP are you on? Next if both
    machines are attached access the router from whichever machine can do it and go thru it to find out
    what the router thinks it's looking at on the attached lan, I mean the IP and mac addresses of the
    computers on the lan.. Next , when you installed the new card did you change drivers.?..run the
    network setup wizard?... just insert it and do whatever windows asked...which was?
    The problem is that what takes a few miutes to check on your own computer becomes a message 4 pages
    long when you try and describe it. However dredging thru the memory bank I think I went thru these
    hoops last year and eventually solved the problem by just running the windows network setup wizard
    on both computers. If you decide to do that post again first.

    recursor, Dec 28, 2004
  16. ping to what - router ?

    it doesn't need the internet to ping across the LAN. No firewalls on
    connections in XP ?? these can block pings.

    Router isn't routing, or it or PCs have a firewall, or something. Can
    you plug laptop into router wired port and if so does it behave the
    same ?

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 28, 2004
  17. Sarah

    recursor Guest

    Yup, that's what I was thinking of suggesting too. Ideally try and wire both comps into the router
    and see if they start behaving....and then post back of course.

    recursor, Dec 28, 2004
  18. Sarah

    Geoff Lane Guest

    Sarah, I've been following this thead and it must be getting quite
    complicated for you.

    Sometimes going back to the beginning helps.

    Try this a few times;

    Turn both computers off, switch only your wired computer on and
    connect to the internet. Switch it off then back on again a few times
    to check all is OK.

    Then turn the wired one off and do the same with the wifi laptop.

    If both connect seperately then we look elsewhere.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Dec 28, 2004
  19. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    http://www.scanspyware.net/info/SurfSideKick.htm Hi Sarah, as an aside to
    the main problem this
    No. Only the setup wizard that the card came with.
    The laptop is on SP2. Arrrrgggghhhh. Big mistake, but I'm learning to live
    with it :)
    The PC is on SP1
    Warning! Warning! Brain overload! Could I leave this one for the moment ?
    I think so. I seemed to have done so many things - before I asked on this
    newsgroup, but I remember inserting the card and it went through something.
    Pretty sure it installed drivers.
    I did that a few times when all else failed me. The software that came with
    the card had a setup wizard. Did that first on the laptop - got the
    internet straight away. It wasn't until my sons noticed that the main PC
    had gone down. After a few twiddles (technical jargon), I decided to do
    what I had done the first time with the other card.....run the XP
    wizard....using a floppy. Didn't work.
    ?? Can't remember. Only that it was pretty straightforward. Only thing I
    wasn't too sure about was whether I wanted the 'something' or the ad hoc.
    Went for the 'something'. Try 30 (or 40), I think I went for the ad hoc -
    just for a change. Didn't work anyway.
    I know. I understand. And I really appreciate this help
    I keep getting called away to work....which is terribly inconsiderate. I
    think I will try the windows network wizard again when I get back. Anything
    I should be especially looking out for?

    Thanks again everyone
    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 28, 2004
  20. Sarah

    recursor Guest

    Ok let me get this straight ...which Windoze setup wizard actually created this floppy XPsp1, XPsp2
    or the setup wizard that you say came with the new card ?? Without wishing to raise your hopes too
    high I think we might be entering the home straight here. I'm thinking the answer is to rerun the
    setup wizard on each computer using each computer's native windows wizard to overwrite the existing
    settings.
    ie.. control panel >> network setup wizard>>when asked do you want to use the existing (shared)
    connection select .. > .no let me choose and then... > this computer connects to the internet thru a
    residential gateway...and then so on at the end of which
    A: windows should (might) have sorted itself out.
    B: your brain might have exploded... I've seen grown men near to tears over networking problems :)

    recursor, Dec 28, 2004