Can't get both computers working together

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Sarah, Dec 26, 2004.

  1. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    Hi. Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas

    Now, my problem (very basic language used here)

    Last year I set up my network without problem. Since then I've had to
    replace my wireless card and now I can't get both computers to use the
    Internet at the same time.

    Both computers are on XP. I have a Linksys router, a 'wired' computer
    and a wireless laptop.

    The laptop (wireless) can access the Internet no problem, but the
    'wired' PC can't. There have been occasions where it's been vice versa.

    It seems that they are using different channels, though I have no idea
    how to change them. Do they need to be on the same channel?

    Before I changed my wireless card, it was working fine.

    Any suggestions?

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 26, 2004

  2. how does it all connect to the internet ?

    If there isn't a systray icon for the wireless card you will be able
    to access it via control panel to set the channel it uses, or set the
    channel the Linksys router uses via its web page config (it is
    wireless the Linksysy ??)

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 26, 2004

  3. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    Tower to router (wired)
    Laptop wireless card to router.
    There is a systray icon for the wireless card (which is working okay
    BTW), but there doesn't seem to be any place for me to change the channel.

    The main PC (wired to the router) doesn't have an icon, so since that
    one isn't working at the moment I'll try to change that. So how do I
    change it via it's web page config?

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 26, 2004
  4. and the internet ?? (a router is not necessarily an internet
    connection, you'll need to explain your system to us).
    can you access the web page of the wireless router ? usually there's a
    Wireless or WLAN settings page with a channel selection option. If
    your laptop has a signal from the router (does it ?) then the channel
    is not your issue.

    Wireless channels are irrelevant to the wired connection.

    We need to know the IP addresses of the laptop and tower, can you see
    these from, the propoerties of the Network connection (what version of
    what operating system) or put 'cmd' in th eRun box of Start in XP then
    'ipconfig /all' in the resulting black screen DOS box. Right mouse,
    select mark, drag over the results and hit enter to copy, then paste
    them here - or just type them

    need to know IP address of each machine, IP address of router, default
    gateway and DNS server settings on each PC

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 26, 2004
  5. Sarah

    Geoff Lane Guest

    Right, so sometimes the laptop (wireless) cannot access the internet.
    The wired one doesn't use a channel, only the wifi one does so that
    should not be a problem.
    Sometimes it is not easy to sort - I have just changed my WiFi set up
    to use encryption, now sometimes I have to manually log on and
    sometimes I don't.

    Do you run user accounts on XP, this can cause certain set ups to run
    strangely.

    Also, I would disable ICS settings in XP as the router is doing the
    routing.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Dec 26, 2004
  6. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    Broadband connection via the router? Router is wired to an NTL setup
    box. Both Dell computers on XP.
    My wireless connection (laptop) can access the web page. My pc can't
    (no internet connection). Okay, so I accessed the web page and when I
    came out of that page, my wireless (laptop) immediately lost internet
    connection, but the wired PC then got it. I closed both computers down
    and rebooted everything (setup box, router, computers) and I now have it
    back on the laptop and not the PC. Why would that be?
    usually there's a
    So my laptop is working fine. The main PC can't access the internet.
    Both were working fine until I changed my wireless laptop network card
    (the previous one broke).
    IP of wireless connection (laptop) 192.168.1.100
    IP of wired connection (PC) 192.168.1.102
    Default gateway (laptop and PC) 192.168.1.1
    DNS servers (wireless - laptop) 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100
    DNS servers (wired PC) 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100
    Address of router 192.168.1.1

    Thanks Phil. We've been in this predicament for days now and kids and
    husband are getting restless.

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 26, 2004
  7. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    Thanks. A new thing to add to my brain.
    The PC does, the laptop doesn't.
    How do I do that then?

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 26, 2004
  8. NTL - cable. I don't do cable, shouldn't the router be allocated an
    external IP address by the NTL box or something ?? does NTL expect to
    see specific MAC addresses or only one MAC address at once (MAC
    addres sis unique to an ethernet card, wireless card etc).
    the router setup page would be a LAN connection, not an internet
    conneciton.
    these seem OK, assuming the DNS server addresses are correct for NTL.
    The subnet masks are pressumably 255.255.255.0 on both laptop and PC.

    You should be able to put 192.168.1.1 in the web browser and see the
    router setup pages, or 'ping 192.168.1.1' from both PCs from a DOS
    box. You should also be able to ping one PC from the toher and vice
    versa - if all that works then you're down to the NTL specific stuff
    tha tI don't know about - sorry !

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 26, 2004
  9. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    I still don't get it though (with the PC that's got no connection).
    Works on the laptop, but the PC just says 'page cannot be displayed' etc.
    Okay, so I really am showing my ignorance here. How do I 'ping'? I
    tried putting ping 192.168.1.1 at the dos prompt. It then said
    'pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data', then nothing. Does that
    means it worked? I want it to say "Success! Have a gold star" :)
    Never mind. I pick up tips from different people. Put them altogether
    and I might get this blasted thing going again.
    Thanks

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 26, 2004
  10. it should say something like:

    C:\Documents and Settings\Phil.XP2100>ping 10.0.0.2

    Pinging 10.0.0.2 with 32 bytes of data:

    Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

    Ping statistics for 10.0.0.2:

    or
    C:\Documents and Settings\Phil.XP2100>ping 10.0.0.7
    Pinging 10.0.0.7 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.

    (10.0.0.7 doesn't exist in this case)

    XP Firewall may blcok pings, disable on both machines. If you can't
    ping the router from either PC and one PC from the other there's an
    internal problem on your LAN

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 26, 2004
  11. Sarah

    Roy Guest

    It looks like you have the same problem I had.

    Try this, use the laptop to access the router web page, look for the
    DHCP setting tab and check the number of DHCP users allowed, if it is
    set to just 1 or 2 try setting it to at least 3.

    HTH

    Roy, Dec 26, 2004
  12. Sarah

    Geoff Lane Guest

    Go to Start, Control Panel, Network Connections.

    Highlight your WiFi card (It should have some wording identifying the
    manufacturer or something below it), right click and select
    Properties. When the window opens select the advanced TAB along the
    top and if it is ticked untick ICS.

    Also, as you are trying to eliminate a problem disable your wired
    adapter by following; Start, Control Panle, Network Connections then
    highlight the wired adapter (It'll probably have fast ethernet adapter
    written by it), right click it and select disable.

    You will have to be logged on as administrator for all this.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Dec 27, 2004
  13. Sarah

    Geoff Lane Guest

    That seems a very simple possible cause - do some routers set DHCP
    users allowed to such a low figure?

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Dec 27, 2004
  14. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    Geoff Lane wrote:

    It was already unticked :-(

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 27, 2004
  15. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    I longed for this to be the reason. Seemed so simple....but no. It was
    set at '50'.

    This is so stupid. The thing was working fine before I changed my card.

    Bother.

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 27, 2004
  16. Sarah

    recursor Guest

    Hi Sarah, access the Router's web control page from your laptop and find the 'connected devices'
    field if there is one (not familiar with Linksys panels but there should be one). See if the router
    can see both computers and then report back here.

    recursor, Dec 27, 2004
  17. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    Okay, so now I have another problem. For some reason, when trying to
    access the routers page, my browser has now decided that it needs to
    look on the web for it. I'm getting "page cannot be displayed". Why
    would that be? It was working fine yesterday.

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 27, 2004
  18. Sarah

    recursor Guest

    It's going more pearshaped by the day huh.. make sure the laptop is off and then see if you can see
    the router from the wired computer....then report back

    recursor, Dec 27, 2004
  19. Sarah

    mikeFNB Guest

    are you typing in the correct address.

    mike

    mikeFNB, Dec 27, 2004
  20. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    It's taken all this time, and now you've probably gone.

    I've turned off the laptop and by resetting the router I've managed to
    get the router page and internet on the main PC (though I know I
    haven't got it on the laptop now) I can seem to toggle between the two
    by resetting everything. So looking at the router page, I then realise
    that my email isn't set up this computer so I couldn't reply to you.
    Now I am replying via the google newsgroups webpage. Things are never
    simple

    Anyway. I can't find the 'connected devices' but I have found the
    DHCP active IP table and both computers are listed. Is that what I
    want?

    Sarah

    Sarah, Dec 27, 2004