    doing wrong ????I can't see the files on my desktop with my laptop or vice
    versa I have the hand under certain folders to make it shared and I used the
    same workgroup name for both computer.please help

    Guest, Aug 17, 2007

  2. Guest

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    Do both computers have Internet service? Look at logs from "browstat status"
    and "ipconfig /all", from each computer, and try to diagnose the problem. Read
    this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download
    browstat!):
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

    Chuck [MVP], Aug 18, 2007

  3. Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 18, 2007
  4. Guest

    Phil Guest

    These are excellent suggestions but are many are Vista
    Specific.

    I have been having the same problem -- I cannot share 3
    computers on a XP Linksys wireless network with a
    WRVS4400N VPN router. When all computers are wired
    (CAT5 connected) to the router, I have full file and
    printer sharing. If they are all wireless connected I
    lose all sharing. In the wireless environment all
    computers connect to the internet. The VPN tunnel
    works (I am using it right now.)

    I have no software firewalls. I have all file and
    printer sharing "checked." In all these discussions
    that I have come across none explain this seminal
    difference, why something changes from a wired
    environment to a wireless environment. They are not
    handled the same way. I have found that none of my 3
    computers see each other. None can ping each other.
    The LAN is not functional.

    I have been at this for 2 weeks now and this thread is
    very close, but still does not offer the definitive
    answer: why no sharing. We need to go beyond the
    simple explanations of firewalls and checking the
    simple file and printer sharing conventions to
    something far more obscure (yet simple). That is what
    we are searching for.

    Many thanks,
    Phil

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <>

    Phil, Aug 19, 2007
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am having the same exact problem on an XP system. Internet works fine on
    the desktop computer and wireless laptop (via the G router). Printer works
    on the desktop and the laptop when it is connected directly, but I cannot get
    it to work on the laptop wirelessly. You are a better person than me - 2
    weeks - I am about to throw in the towel after one afternoon!

    ~Stephanie

    Guest, Aug 20, 2007
  6. Guest

    MS Guest

    I am persistent. But after two weeks I am ready to give up.
    If you do a search there are probably 1000's of queries
    related to "can't get file and printer sharing." None on
    of these discussion results in a definitive solution beyond
    the usual "turn on file sharing and turn off the firewall."
    But that is not the full answer for so many of us. Then
    the trail suddenly turns cold ... the responses drift off.

    I am so frustrated by this problems that I am ready to
    revert to a wired network which will work flawlessly. Not
    without its problems but it is so much more robust and
    foolproof once set up properly.

    I had to become my own network admin at my medical office --
    successfully for the last 10 years. So I come to this
    problem not as a neophyte, novice or ...... newbie.

    1. The answer is either **highly** arcane but simple
    2. Not known
    3. A true "bug" or "limitation" of wireless networking
    software conventions that is trying to balance security with
    accessibility -- and failing.
    4. the differences between XP and Vista just compound an
    already insoluble problem.

    I wish someone, who is brilliant, would answer this
    question. Just do the search.

    Phil

    message

    MS, Aug 20, 2007
  7. Guest

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    Phil,

    I won't dispute the obvious fact that Vista is still, obviously, a Beta product.
    Even so, besides the dozens of people writing here, and in other forums, for
    help with file sharing, there are hundreds of thousands of people who are using
    their Vista / XP LANs with no problems.

    And there are a dozen or so known causes of networking problems that aren't
    hinted at in the standard Microsoft Vista document, that gets quoted here a lot.
    <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx>

    I can see your frustration. Maybe my tutorial will give you some more ideas.
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html

    And we can certainly look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net
    config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, which should
    give us some idea what to look at next. Read this article, and linked articles,
    and follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp

    Or if you like, you're welcome to continue diagnosing the problem on your own.
    But try to diagnose it methodically.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html>

    Chuck [MVP], Aug 20, 2007
  8. Guest

    Phil Guest

    Chuck,

    Thank you for this complete response. I have visited
    your site and is... complete blood overwhelming. Your
    quotation "there are hundreds of thousands of people
    who are using their Vista / XP LANs with no problems"
    does not solve the problem for the thousands of us
    still suffering.

    I would like to clear up one essential point if you
    please. Many of us are still using windows XP. I am
    aware that Windows Vista poses its own additional
    problems. I must repeat, in a *wired* LAN configuration
    none of these problems with file or printer sharing
    appears. This is only a problem in the wireless
    configuration. So you must admit there is something
    different about permissions and basic software
    conventions that differ between a wireless and wired
    LAN all other things being equal.

    So when you say hundreds of thousands are having a
    problem I will bet most of those are not using wireless
    LANs.

    Now I have gone to your site and have diligently played
    with cdiag.cmd. How do those of us who continue to
    have problems beyond the simple firewall and "check
    file and printer sharing" conventions go about
    submitting the cdiag.cmd results to you? How do you
    prefer the submissions?

    I have tried virtually every possible conceivable
    configuration. One limitation that I have that many
    others have is Comcast. Comcast does not allow static
    IPs. They prefer dynamic DHCP. This poses additional
    limitations. Nevertheless, I have designated each
    computer with a static TCP/IP address and designated
    the appropriate DNS1 and DNS2. Still no resolution of
    this problem. The computers do not see each other.
    They cannot ping each other.

    So please, if you will, let me know the netiquette and
    proper way of submitting results to you.

    Phil

    Phil, Aug 21, 2007
  9. I've looked back over this and I can't even see what your problem is
    supposed to be.
    Please accurately describe the problem.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Aug 21, 2007
  10. Guest

    Jim Guest

    The first reason that you are having trouble is that something somewhere is
    blocking ICMP packets. You will not be able to
    get your network operational until after you solve this problem with your
    network. A firewall is the usual reason, but there may be
    others. What "enable file and printer sharing" does is instruct the Windows
    firewall to pass these packets.

    The seminal difference between wireless and wired is that wireless absolutly
    needs encryption. It isn't easy to get the keys to match, but
    unless they do, you will not be able to form a wireless network. The need
    for getting the keys to match is not especially obscure.

    I found that I had less trouble with file and printer sharing if I used the
    Net commands from within cmd. It does seem to me that the explanations
    in Help & Support apply more to XP before SP2.

    With respect to getting remote printers to work, I found that mine would not
    work unless the printer software was loaded on all computers.
    A remote printer sends its output to the port on the host computer which
    sends the spool file to the driver. Since you have not disclosed the
    manufacturer of your printer, that is all I can say.

    In my case, I worked on this problem off and on for about six months. When
    I finally broke down and read MVP Chuck's instructions,
    I solved my problems. My network has been working flawlessly for well over
    a year now.

    I no longer use the remote printer capability because printing remotely is
    so inconvenient for me.
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 21, 2007
  11. Guest

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    Phil,

    For 2 or 3 computers, CDiag is small enough to just paste into your response
    here. Plenty of folks do just that, and it's not a security risk either. No
    hacker is going to be reading these threads
    "Oh boy, Chuck just asked for another CDiag run!! $$$"

    Anyway, I understand your frustration. I get the same way, constantly.
    Computers aren't simple. Never were, never will be. When they become simple,
    it's because we're old and we can't see the details.

    Now if WiFi is involved in the problem, it's relevant at the lower levels. If
    you understand layered troubleshooting, and the OSI model, you'll see that WiFi
    isn't so tricky. Just another layer of pain.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html

    But it wouldn't hurt to start with the basic diagnostics either. Logs from
    "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config
    workstation", from each computer, is where we start, because many problems
    become apparent there. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
    instructions precisely (download browstat!):
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp

    Now just for my personal edification, and since this thread seems to have a few
    hangers on, are you also djrave808, g8rav8r, and / or MS?

    --
    Cheers,

    Chuck [MVP], Aug 21, 2007
  12. Guest

    Phil Guest

    In my case, I worked on this problem off and on for
    Thank you Jim. But by your own admission this was a
    very very difficult process and you eventually
    abandoned printer sharing which is the point of my
    frustration. I am trying to share one printer (with
    out a print server) between three machines.

    Encryption process is easy. Sharing encryption keys
    between the three separate machines is not the problem.

    I am persistent. I am a problem solver. But wireless
    networks have become so frustrating that I am about to
    abandon the this problem and simply hardwire all three
    computers. I never had problems this tenacious in the
    past with a wired router. And, as I have mentioned
    multiple times in his post, when hardwiring any one of
    the three computers, filesharing and printer sharing is
    immediately solved. Immediately. Plus as a bonus, I
    get the gigabyte transfer.

    As also has a have mentioned, I think the philosophical
    problem here is compromising wireless security with
    accessibility. I have found after too many many years
    of network administration that most problems actually
    easy. What becomes overwhelming are the algorithms,
    workarounds, switches, security policies they are most
    often superfluous..

    Many thanks,
    Phil

    Phil, Aug 23, 2007
  13. Guest

    Phil Guest

    Chuck,

    I know this is delayed .. but I have spent a huge
    amount of time checking, double and triple checking my
    system. There is nothing wrong with this system of 3
    home computers. I am now convinced the problem is that
    Infrastructure mode prevents true peer to peer file
    sharing. We must use "ad hoc" computer to commuter
    (peer to peer) mode which less secure and probably does
    not serve my purposes. I have diligently worked
    through a series of "netsh" commands, "route print"
    commands as well as your own cdiag.

    This is the only answer to why so many of these threads
    just drop off.

    I don't think infrastructure mode will allow peer to
    peer sharing....

    Please tell all of us we are missing something, because
    the only other answer is there is something flawed
    about the WRVS4400N VPN router (which almost no one has
    any experience with -- too new).

    regards,
    Phil

    Phil, Aug 31, 2007
  14. Guest

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    Phil,

    I won't tell you with 100% certainty that you are wrong. With networking,
    there's always something new to learn.

    But in my experience, properly designed and functional hardware, against
    properly configured operating systems, WILL work in infrastructure mode, with
    peer to peer sharing.

    So why not let us see some diagnostic logs, like "ipconfig /all", "net config
    server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, so we can help
    diagnose the problem. Many people post their logs here, and sometimes learn
    something new.

    --
    Cheers,

    Chuck [MVP], Aug 31, 2007
  15. Guest

    Phil Guest

    I know that time is of the essence but have returned
    one more time to this particular thread. This is such
    an important topic.

    Virtually none of these suggestions offered through
    these threats helped me to network my computers. As I
    always say, most networking problems are *very* simple
    and elegant. It just takes enormous time and effort
    finding the simple switch.

    The answer for me, and probably for so many others, is
    a simple switch. In the WRVS4400N VPN router there is
    a simple switch called
    Wireless Isolation(within SSID) located in the
    "wireless" "security" tab. All I needed to do was
    disable this one switch. Suddenly, after two weeks of
    pain all computers are visible to each other and I am
    able to share printers and files amongst the four
    computers on this home wireless network. That was it.

    As a side issue I am still having trouble with the
    master browser that seems to float from computer to
    computer. This is a separate issue that never seems to
    have a definitive solution. So the command NET VIEW
    still does not produce a consistent results. But I am
    able to share all printers and all files on all
    computers. If you think about it, it's very simple.
    That is the point of this wireless isolation. But the
    documentation is absolutely worthless (pitiful) and
    gives no clue as to the critical importance of the
    switch.

    Again, I know this will probably be hidden in time and
    subordinated to the original question. But someone
    will find this a value.

    Phil

    Phil, Sep 18, 2007