Can't download new or old IOS to Cisco 831

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Fred Atkinson, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    Through my warranty company, I downloaded a new Cisco IOS to
    be loaded into my Cisco 831 router. I used the copy 'tftp flash'
    command and the download crashed when tried to run it.

    Each successive attempt yielded that there was insufficient
    memory. I went to ROM monitor mode and used the xmodem command
    (xmodem -c IOS_file_name) and tried (numerous times to download it).
    Each time, it downloaded almost all the way and then stopped near the
    end of the transfer giving me an abort message (Truncated image
    received - aborting download...). When I tried to go to the IOS, I
    couldn't get it to run. I finally did get to the new IOS by using the
    boot command from ROM monitor mode. Since it wouldn't boot directly,
    I used the 'erase flash' command to delete the IOS (figuring it was
    somehow corrupted since I couldn't get it to boot normally).

    Now, I can only run with ROM monitor mode. I've tried using
    both tftpdnld and the xmodem commands to put the new IOS into flash
    memory (I am running 115200 8-N-1 with no flow control). It always
    crashed. So, I attempted to put the old one into flash memory. It
    always crashes, too.

    Can anyone offer me a good suggestion or even a good URL to a
    page that has an 831 disaster recovery procedure that will fix this
    mess? My home network is completely down. I am only online because
    I've connected my PC directly to my cablemodem.

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Fred Atkinson

    Neil Guest

    I cant say that I know much about Cisco router as I've only had my 1721 a
    few weeks now, I was stuck in rommon for a while after I had upgraded the
    IOS and for some reason it couldn't find the image that was supposed to of
    been copied to flash.

    When I used tftpdnld there was an option to just load the IOS into DRAM and
    launch the image from there by using -r after the tftpdnld command, you
    could try that and if it boots ok, then you can try using the erase command
    to wipe the flash. And try transferring the image to flash again, also make
    sure the IOS you're trying to load into flash will actually fit, I think the
    831's only have 12MB flash.

    Just to make sure, you need to enter information similar to that shown below
    before using tftpdnld -r and have your Ethernet cable connected.

    IP_ADDRESS=192.168.1.1
    IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0
    DEFAULT_GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
    TFTP_SERVER=the address of your TFTP server
    TFTP_FILE=c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-10a.bin

    Neil

    Neil, Dec 4, 2004

  3. Neil,

    I tried all of these things. The xmodem -r download crashed
    just as the -c did.

    Currently, there is no IOS in flash memory. Which really
    leaves me in the cold.

    I'm completely stumped. Help.

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Dec 4, 2004
  4. Fred Atkinson

    Doan Guest

    You might want to check that you have enough memory to store the new
    image. In ROM monitor mode, do a "dir flash:".

    Doan

    Doan, Dec 4, 2004
  5. Fred Atkinson

    Peter Guest

    Hi Fred,
    I can think of a few things to check -

    How much FLASH and RAM do you have in the Router? You can get this
    info from SH VER.

    What size is the file you are trying to load?

    Report the output of a SH FLASH:

    Although this is unlikely to be the problem, be warned that if you are
    using the Cisco TFTP Server, it has a 16MB file size limitation. If
    you are using a Windows machine as the server, then I can strongly
    recommend you grab "3cdaemon", its free and excellent for this task.

    It may also pay to post a log of exactly what happens when you try
    these uploads.

    Good luck..............pk.

    Peter, Dec 4, 2004
  6. 128K bytes of NVRAM.
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
    2048K bytes of processor board Web flash (Read/Write)

    C800/SOHO series (Board ID: 29-129) platform with 32768 Kbytes of main
    memory
    I managed to get the previous IOS back into the 831. It's file
    size is 6684 kB.
    When I do a show flash, it shows:

    System flash directory:
    File Length Name/status
    1 6843548 c831-k9o3y6-mz.123-8.T.bin
    2 306952 crashinfo_20020301-000009
    3 269486 crashinfo_20020301-000013
    4 306023 crashinfo_20020301-000012
    5 307473 crashinfo_20020301-000012 [invalid checksum]
    [8033808 bytes used, 92652 available, 8126460 total]
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

    As you can see, the details are specific. And there are some
    files in there that are apparently generated when the router crashed.
    I don't even know how to delete them.
    I am using the Solarwinds TFTP server. It is a fairly nice
    freebie that you can download (along with a free subnet calculator) at
    http://www.solarwinds.net.
    I'm not sure how I'd get this log. But I'll be glad to post
    it if you can tell me how.

    Another weird thing I've discovered is that the router only
    crashes when I have the e1 port connected to my cablemodem. When I
    boot it without it, it doesn't.

    And the last thing is that when this IOS was previously
    running in my 831, it had only the e1 and the e0 ports. Now it says
    it also has four fast Ethernet ports. It doesn't. The 831 has a
    router with a switch riding off the internal e0 port. There are four
    external switch ports but they are all off the e0 port. They aren't a
    part of the actual 'router'.

    The config-register is set at 0x5C22, if that makes any
    difference.
    I'll need it. My home network is down. I've connected the
    cablemodem directly to my primary PC. My Vonage phone, my printer, my
    switch, and the upstairs PC and not working together the right way.

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Dec 5, 2004
  8. Fred Atkinson

    Doan Guest

    Try deleting these files with "del flash:<filename>" and
    a "squeeze flash" before loading the new IOS.

    Doan

    Doan, Dec 5, 2004
  9. Well, that suggestion definitely made big progress. I can now
    reboot while connected to the cablemodem and it doesn't crash.

    The problem is, it doesn't seem to be getting an IP address
    from the cablemodem provider.

    Here is the 'show int e1' which is the port that is connected
    to the cablemodem:

    #show int e1
    Ethernet1 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is PQUICC_FEC, address is 000e.3884.81ed (bia
    000e.3884.81ed)
    Internet address will be negotiated using DHCP
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    Full-duplex, 10Mb/s
    ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops:
    0
    Queueing strategy: fifo
    Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
    971 packets input, 60556 bytes, 0 no buffer
    27 packets output, 9432 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
    3 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

    Suggestions?

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Dec 5, 2004
  10. Fred Atkinson

    Peter Guest

    Hi Fred,
    What size is the file you were trying to load, was it larger than the
    available space in Flash? More to the point exactly WHICH file (IOS)
    where you trying to load into it anyway?
    Crashinfo files provide debug info about a system crash that may be
    useful for Cisco TAC. If you need the flash space, then use the delete
    command to remove them, they are non-critical files so you wont upset
    anything by removing them, but you will get some space back.
    That depends on how you are "talking" to the Router, if its via the
    Console port, then hopefully your terminal S/W can log its session info.
    That suggests a couple of things to me -
    1. Some sort of resource limit when it trys to activate that
    interface, or when that interface sees traffic,
    2. Some conflict between the H/W and the IOS version being used
    perhaps?

    One other thing, some Routers can load an IOS fine, but still crash
    because a run time requirement (EG: extra memory required due to
    specific configuration settings) is not able to be met. More details
    on the exact IOS version you were trying to load would be very useful.
    That sounds really odd... If it worked one way before, and another way
    now, then something must have changed... but what...

    I am not familiar with the exact 831 model, but I have played with a
    few of the 800 series. Some of them have multiple Ethernet ports, so
    are you SURE that you don't have have the wrong version of IOS for
    that physical device, IE one meant for a slightly different model...
    Failing that maybe you have a genuine H/W fault of some sort...
    Now that value is truly weird, I suspect it relates to you using a
    high bit rate (115200 perhaps) on the console port. Normally I would
    have expected something more like 0x2102 for a "standard" 9600 Console
    port. Try setting the port speed to 9600 and see what the Config Reg
    says then...

    Cheers............pk.

    Peter, Dec 5, 2004
  11. Fred Atkinson

    Brian V Guest

    Unplug your cable modem and power down your 831. Wait 2 minutes. Plug the
    cable modem back in and let it come fully back up. Once the cable modems up
    turn on your 831.

    Brian V, Dec 5, 2004
  12. I did and there was no significant change. But, I did change
    the config-register to 0x2102. After I did that and then show
    version, it shows a config-register of 0x1922. It is still crashing
    when I boot it while connected to the cablemodem.

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Dec 5, 2004
  13. Well, I decided to delete the IOS and squeeze the flash memory
    (so as to clean it up) and reload the IOS. I reloaded into ROM
    monitor mode and used confreg to change the console bit rate to
    115200. I used the reset command. When it comes up now, I don't get
    any text from the console port (I tried it at both 9600 and 115200).
    I've tried powering it down to reset it and that doesn't work at 9600
    or 115200 either.

    I'm at my wit's end.

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Dec 5, 2004
  14. Fred Atkinson

    Erik Freitag Guest

    Hang on to your wits! It is pretty easy to slip up the confreg setting and
    set to a speed you didn't intend. Might be easiest just to try every
    possible speed setting (1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600,
    115200) with your terminal emulator.

    Erik Freitag, Dec 5, 2004
  15. You're right.

    It was at 1200. Download is underway.

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Dec 6, 2004
  16. Well, it was successful in loading. But it still crashes when
    I boot the router when it is connected up to the Internet.

    <sigh>.

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Dec 6, 2004
  17. Fred Atkinson

    Erik Freitag Guest

    Would it be possible to post the output from your terminal emulator
    showing what is logged when the router crashes?

    Erik Freitag, Dec 6, 2004
  18. Fred Atkinson

    Peter Guest

    Hi Fred,
    BEFORE you connect the Router to the internet post -

    The full output from SH VER
    The full output from SH FLASH
    The header info from SH MEM

    We really need to know the status of all your memory components just
    before the crash. I still suspect you are running out of memory somewhere.

    Cheers...........pk.

    Peter, Dec 6, 2004
  19. show version
    #show flash

    System flash directory:
    File Length Name/status
    1 6096956 c831-k9o3y6-mz.123-7.T6.bin
    [6097020 bytes used, 2029444 available, 8126464 total]
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

    #show memory
    Head Total(b) Used(b) Free(b) Lowest(b)
    Largest(b)
    Processor 8126979C 12570724 7087780 5482944 5095404
    5094456
    I/O 1E66800 1677312 1666864 10448 10448
    9812

    #

    show version
    Cisco IOS Software, C831 Software (C831-K9O3Y6-M), Version 12.3(7)T6,
    RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
    Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Sat 30-Oct-04 00:39 by eaarmas

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r)YN, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

    uptime is 1 minute
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c831-k9o3y6-mz.123-7.T6.bin"

    This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
    States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
    use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
    third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
    Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
    compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
    agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are
    unable
    to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

    A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be
    found at:
    --More--
    http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

    If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email
    .

    Cisco C831 (MPC857DSL) processor (revision 0x300) with 31130K/1638K
    bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID AMB074800VU (1556850697), with hardware revision
    0000
    CPU rev number 7
    2 Ethernet interfaces
    128K bytes of NVRAM.
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
    2048K bytes of processor board Web flash (Read/Write)

    Configuration register is 0x102

    Fred Atkinson, Dec 7, 2004