    What can I do about these registries ?

    How to delete them ???

    Please help !!

    Hari Hari Mau, Oct 23, 2008

  2. Hari Hari Mau

    richard Guest

    Most likely because they're in use.
    Such as with the windows operating system.
    Oh sure, you go right ahead and be big bad know it all technician and
    just delete stuff you don't know squat about.
    Don't come back and ask how come my system just crashed.

    First, ya might want to do a search on the web for those keys and find
    out what they're all about.
    Or at least the program it mentions.

    This is probably the number one cause of why windows user have
    problems. They don't know enough and they think they're gonna get
    ahead and delete stuff they know nothing about.

    I have found that in the past anyway, regedit leaves behind a lot of
    stuff that is related to MS in any way. Even though it's ancient
    history. Suggest you try other cleaners and might want to try out
    "hijackthis".

    richard, Oct 23, 2008

  3. Hari Hari Mau

    gregg Guest

    Sorry, I am running Linux and I don't have a Registry or an Anti-Virus.

    gregg, Oct 23, 2008
  4. Hari Hari Mau

    Unknown Guest

    You may think you don't have a registry but you really have. It may not be
    called a registry but it is there.

    Unknown, Oct 23, 2008
  5. Hari Hari Mau

    Damian Guest

    I'm so sorry. You must be pathetic.

    Damian, Oct 23, 2008
  6. Hari Hari Mau

    Aardvark Guest

    Moronic top-posting corrected:

    Please do tell where I can find my registry and how to recognise this
    registry when I find it.

    Aardvark, Oct 23, 2008
  7. Hari Hari Mau

    Unknown Guest

    Just try to create (write) any operating system without a registry. I would
    venture to say 'impossible'.
    Get a program listing for the program you want to find the registry for.

    Unknown, Oct 23, 2008
  8. Hari Hari Mau

    freemont Guest

    top posting fixed

    /etc? Only /etc isn't a database with cryptically-named "keys", it's a
    collection of text files, so... So much for that comparison. :-|
    If you're creating a Windows operating system, sure.

    freemont, Oct 23, 2008
  9. Hari Hari Mau

    Aardvark Guest

    Moronic top-posting ONCE AGAIN corrected.

    I'm not looking for a registry. You're telling me that I have one. I'm
    asking you where I can find this so-called 'registry' in my Mandriva
    2009.0 OS.

    Aardvark, Oct 23, 2008
  10. Hari Hari Mau

    Unknown Guest

    Are you so moronic you can't read? Get a program listing and it'll be there.
    It may not be called a registry but it'll be there
    ..

    Unknown, Oct 23, 2008
  11. Hari Hari Mau

    Unknown Guest

    What is your definition of a registry? What would you call a list of
    constants, hardware etc?

    Unknown, Oct 23, 2008
  12. Hari Hari Mau

    Aardvark Guest

    And even that isn't THAT close. :)

    Aardvark, Oct 23, 2008
  13. Hari Hari Mau

    Aardvark Guest

    And now the top-posting moronic clown has decided I'm English. :)

    Aardvark, Oct 23, 2008
  14. Hari Hari Mau

    Damian Guest

    I see you are confused by pronouns. I put in a proper name so you can better
    grasp the concept.

    Damian, Oct 23, 2008
  15. What functionality should we be looking for, in case it isn't
    called a registry?

    The MS Windows "registry" is used for several different purposes:

    - it keeps track of all officially "installed" programs
    and keeps track of information about the programs, such as which
    shared libraries they use

    - it is used as a central repository of user-independant
    system and application configuration information

    - it is used as a central repository of user authentication
    information and of user authorizations

    - it is used as a central repository of per-user interactive
    preferences (e.g., where the task-bar should appear), and of per-user
    application configuration information ("preferences")

    I have used and continue to use multiuser operating systems that
    had none of these features, or which allowed the information
    to be purged (possibly making the system more cumbersome
    to upgrade, but the system did not -rely- on the information.)

    The closest I can come to any of these roles is that a number of
    operating systems use a plain-text file in a known location to
    control user authentication -- which usernames are known, and
    what their passwords are (possibly storing encrypted passwords.)
    If you want to -define- that isolated functionality as being
    enough of a "registry" to prove your statement... well, I've
    also used operating systems that had no user control file at all.
    Being able to distinguish between users is not a defining characteristic
    of what -is- or -is not- an operating system.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 23, 2008
  16. Hari Hari Mau

    Ray Parrish Guest

    Hello, I'm a recent convert to Ubuntu from Windows, and I can tell you
    there is no registry in Ubuntu Linux. This operating system keeps it's
    settings in text files scattered around the file system. This reduces
    the overload required to load everything into memory at once like you do
    with the registry.

    It also makes it easier to look up things about your system as it can
    often be done with a simple text editor.

    Later, Ray Parrish

    Ray Parrish, Oct 24, 2008
  17. Hari Hari Mau

    Bill in Co. Guest

    Seems like that also means it will take more time to open and use some apps,
    though, due to the necessity of reading into memory, and/or writing out to
    disk), those setting files on the disk each time. (to retrieve and
    continually update the settings).

    Bill in Co., Oct 24, 2008
  18. Hari Hari Mau

    Ray Parrish Guest

    Well, in my experience with Ubuntu so far, every program I use on it is
    faster than any on Windows. This operating system is much snappier and I
    can change between open programs quickly without the Winbloze lag I
    experience on my XP side of this machine.

    Later, Ray Parrish

    Ray Parrish, Oct 24, 2008
  19. The time is usually not significant. The user preferences files
    are typically located either directly in the user's home directory
    or else in an application-specific subdirectory of the user's home
    directory. A logged-in user's home directory would most often be
    in the filesystem cache (because it gets used frequently), so there
    -might- be time involved to read one directory off of disk, and then
    the file. For applications that the user uses frequently, the
    preferences might already be in the filesystem cache.

    So Yes, there might be a disk access or two involved, followed by
    the time to parse the file (which, in unix-like systems, would usually
    be in text format rather than in binary format, by convention.)

    On the other hand, if you are not keeping the preferences for
    *everything* locked into memory, you have more memory available for
    the filesystem cache.

    Then there's the amount of time you save not having to trace down
    software that uses registry hacks to infect the entire system...

    Walter Roberson, Oct 24, 2008
  20. I'm already aware that you are 0wN3d by me :)
    Thanks for confirming.

    §ñühwØ£f, Oct 24, 2008