    The entire folder is only 44Kb, but it's frustrating not to be able to
    delete a folder you know you should be able to.
    Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

    MatClark, Mar 12, 2006

  2. MatClark

    Smoker~ Guest

    Smoker~, Mar 12, 2006

  3. MatClark

    Vanguard Guest

    Reboot into Windows' Safe Mode, use Task Manager's File menu to kill the
    explorer.exe processes (the desktop will disappear), use Task Manager to
    start a DOS shell (cmd.exe), navigate to the parent folder of the
    problematic one, and use "rd /s /q <folder>" to delete the problematic
    folder and all subfolders. Then recreate the folder (with the same
    permissions). In Task Manager's File menu, start a new instance of
    explorer.exe and the desktop reappears (but the icons in the tray area may
    not all be present although the programs are loaded).

    Vanguard, Mar 12, 2006
  4. MatClark

    Bert Hyman Guest

    Bert Hyman, Mar 12, 2006
  5. MatClark

    Brian Day Guest

    Try Pocket killbox
    http://projects.securitywonks.net/projects/details.php?file=11

    Can you see the extensions of the files you want to kill or are they hidden
    ? As it likes the file
    name, also removes directories etc. but don't try to delete the temp folder
    ~ just it's contents.

    You will see the limited options available when you run the app. Just be a
    bit careful with it.

    Brian Day

    Brian Day, Mar 12, 2006
  6. MatClark

    Plato Guest

    Well. Sometimes one has to do a scandisk/chkdsk first, depending on your
    os. Secondly:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#8

    Plato, Mar 12, 2006
  7. MatClark

    MatClark Guest

    Thanks for all responses. I tried removing the directory in safe mode
    but didn't work. The error is not that the file is in use, but that "the
    system cannot find the specified path". My first attempt at deleting I
    drilled down approx 66 levels before explorer said the path is too long.
    I'll try scan disk next,then the suggested software.

    MatClark, Mar 12, 2006
  8. MatClark

    Utna Guest

    Best hint is www.systeminternals.com You find there so many little
    tools.

    Concerning the problem discussed. The problem in fact is that one or
    more files in the folder are not closed. That is why you cant delete
    them. Normally the problem is gone as you restart your PC, because then
    all open files are being closed. After restart you should be able to
    delete these folder.
    The other ways showed here. of course, also do the job *smile*

    Utna, Mar 16, 2006