    converter for the insanely awesome Mk IV and D4? Your guess is as good as
    mine.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 22, 2007

  2. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Robert Brace Guest

    Rita

    Rita:
    For Chrissakes download the FREE latest converter (v4.2) and convert the
    1DIII files to your heart's content. Yah, you're held hostage all right, to
    the tune of a FREE converter download!
    For one who purports to be an expert on about everything ever mentioned,
    I'm amazed you didn't know what will support that so-called
    "unable-to-focus-in-bright-light" technological wonder called the Canon
    1DIII.
    Bob

    Robert Brace, Sep 22, 2007

  3. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Scott W Guest

    SO who cares? I mean how many people, other then Barry, are bothering
    with DNG? This seems like a non-issue to me.

    Scott

    Scott W, Sep 22, 2007
  4. Yes, I did that and it, well, works. That's not the point. The issue is
    what if Adobe decides they don't want to support a certain make or brand of
    camera? The point is if I want to put all my eggs in one basket it is more
    logical to put it in the basket where the goose that shits the golden egg
    puts its eggs, which would be the Nikon and Canon basket. So much for the
    DNG bullshit future proofing.
    I haven't run across that problem. Even with "L" glass the old MK III
    focuses just fine. Should I be concerned?

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 22, 2007
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Annika1980 Guest

    Hey, isn't that what I've been saying?
    Expertly put.

    Annika1980, Sep 22, 2007
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Robert Brace Guest

    Not if you don't have the problem nor expect it in the future.
    However, I subscribe to the notion of "where there's smoke---------------".
    The fact that many other "early adopters" have run into the problem would
    give me pause (at least until Canon are reliably reported to have properly
    eliminated it).
    Bob

    Robert Brace, Sep 23, 2007
  7. I think that most people buying Canons realize that they will go through at
    least six firmware upgrades in the first year and possibly a trip to the
    service center for "Error 99" repairs and/or focusing issues. This is
    nothing new and is basically akin to rolling the dice. Some people get
    lucky while some don't. I have read a few horror stories about the Mk III
    as well as a bunch of good stories. I took the chance and am happy I did.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 23, 2007
  8. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    D-Mac Guest

    The "held hostage" bit is Canon's doing. They use a small piece of code to
    ID the files - and stuff up any 3rd part converter as well. The guys doing
    the free "Irfanview" plugins know all about it and how to get around it too.

    Don't be so quick to blame Adobe. They work with alien RAW standards that
    change from model to model. Given that struggle, they do a pretty fair job
    of it.

    Doug

    D-Mac, Sep 23, 2007
  9. I'm sure you have already guessed that they will! (Unless you are
    blind to experience so far).

    And several other people have written DNG converters to suit their own
    needs. Most DNG converters were written by people/companies other than
    Adobe. With DNG, people are not locked into Adobe. DNG increases the
    choices of tools and workflows available to photographers.

    Barry Pearson, Sep 25, 2007
  10. I suggest you examine other forums. You will find a lot of people in
    DPReview, for example, use DNG. Ditto other forums.

    Barry Pearson, Sep 25, 2007