    computer. Thinking it might be my ISP, I installed another ISP - but no luck.
    This has lasted several weeks so any network problems should have been resolved
    in that time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    olfart, Sep 7, 2003

  2. olfart

    °Mike° Guest

    Can you connect using IP addresses?

    °Mike°, Sep 7, 2003

  3. olfart

    olfart Guest

    | Can you connect using IP addresses?

    Nope - just tried a couple of them. Sam Spade gives valid info for the sites but
    Traceroute shows them getting about halfway there and then "no response"

    olfart, Sep 7, 2003
  4. olfart

    °Mike° Guest

    Try removing and reinstalling DUN, *after* performing the
    system maintenance in my sig.

    How to Remove and Reinstall Dial-Up Networking and TCP-IP Files
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;181599

    One you have done that, install the DUN 1.4 update.

    Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade Is Available
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;285189

    Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition Dial-Up Networking 1.4
    Upgrade Release Notes
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;297818

    °Mike°, Sep 7, 2003
  5. olfart

    olfart Guest

    | Try removing and reinstalling DUN, *after* performing the
    | system maintenance in my sig.
    |
    | How to Remove and Reinstall Dial-Up Networking and TCP-IP Files
    | http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;181599
    |
    | One you have done that, install the DUN 1.4 update.
    |
    | Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade Is Available
    | http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;285189
    |
    | Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition Dial-Up Networking 1.4
    | Upgrade Release Notes
    | http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;2978

    Computer maint is up to date-do it at least once a week. I have redone DUN and
    ISP installations and I doubt they are the problem since I am still able to get
    almost any Web Site I try except for the few I mentioned. That's what puzzles
    me. the Microsoft support site is one that I can no longer get-so can't update
    anyway. By using the "off by one" browser I eliminate IE6, my firewall, popup
    stopper and anti-virus are disabled. There isn't much left. The sites I can't
    get have nothing in common and Traceroute recognizes them-they just never
    complete the trip.

    olfart, Sep 7, 2003
  6. olfart

    °Mike° Guest

    Oh, so it's only those certain sites? I missed that, sorry.
    Check your hosts file; make sure that they aren't aliased
    in there.

    °Mike°, Sep 7, 2003
  7. olfart

    area 51 Guest

    Try another browser, or as posted before, go to add and remove,
    I.E_click add_click fix

    area 51, Sep 7, 2003
  8. olfart

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 18:14:38 -0400, in
    <bjgam0$ia3dq$-berlin.de>
    olfart scrawled:

    Here's some more info to investigate:

    Frequently Asked Questions About Page Cannot Be Displayed Errors
    in Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/IE/ie5/topics/PCBD.asp

    °Mike°, Sep 7, 2003
  9. olfart

    olfart Guest

    support.microsoft.com is one of the few sites I can no longer get - I get
    Network Error - Unable to connect to URL - Operation Timed Out

    olfart, Sep 8, 2003
  10. olfart

    olfart Guest

    "off by one" is another browser - which eliminates IE6 and still have problem

    olfart, Sep 8, 2003
  11. olfart

    °Mike° Guest

    You said it was MS update in your original post. And did you check
    your hosts file?

    Can you get anybody to print out those pages for you?

    Have you tried toggling the secure sites (SSL etc.) in the advanced
    tab?

    °Mike°, Sep 8, 2003
  12. olfart

    trout Guest

    *Did* you check for/in your "hosts" file (either installed by you,
    or by anti-spyware software)? This resides in Windows, so it can affect
    any browser.
    There have been a few related mentions of trouble connecting to WU
    ever since around the time of the Blaster virus, when Microsoft moved
    some of its sites to akamai.net.

    trout, Sep 8, 2003
  13. olfart

    olfart Guest

    | olfart wrote:
    |
    | > support.microsoft.com is one of the few sites I can no longer get - I
    | > get Network Error - Unable to connect to URL - Operation Timed Out
    |
    | *Did* you check for/in your "hosts" file (either installed by you,
    | or by anti-spyware software)? This resides in Windows, so it can affect
    | any browser.
    | There have been a few related mentions of trouble connecting to WU
    | ever since around the time of the Blaster virus, when Microsoft moved
    | some of its sites to akamai.net.

    The sites I can no longer get are listed in the Hosts files There are 10 of them
    in my Windows folder. All 10 seem to contain the same information-the address
    and url of each of my favorites. Besides support.microsoft.com, the other sites
    I can no longer connect with are tracfone.com, fosterparents.com and roxio.com.
    This is true both using IE6 or another browser(off-by-one) and by typing in the
    URL or the address - not using Favorites. I'm going to dump them all into a temp
    folder and try again. Wonder why I have 10 identical files??

    olfart, Sep 8, 2003
  14. olfart

    olfart Guest

    Removing the duplicate Host files didn't help .

    | |

    olfart, Sep 8, 2003
  15. olfart

    trout Guest

    Did you remove *only* duplicates? The purpose of a "hosts" file, is
    to *prevent* those sites listed from connecting (attempts are redirected
    to the local disk). They must be removed or renamed (see this message as
    an example:
    http://tinyurl.com/mhe7) .
    I'm guessing you have a grogram that's adding them again and again.
    You'll have to find out which anti-spyware/trojan is doing this, and add
    these sites to the "excludes" list.

    trout, Sep 8, 2003
  16. olfart

    trout Guest

    or possibly a *program*....

    trout, Sep 8, 2003
  17. olfart

    Boomer Guest

    trout said:
    Hey, thats my line! ;-)

    "Freakin' spill chucker."

    Along with my "freakin' fingers"!

    Boomer, Sep 8, 2003
  18. olfart

    olfart Guest

    | olfart wrote:
    |
    | > Removing the duplicate Host files didn't help .
    |
    | Did you remove *only* duplicates? The purpose of a "hosts" file, is
    | to *prevent* those sites listed from connecting (attempts are redirected
    | to the local disk). They must be removed or renamed (see this message as
    | an example:
    | http://tinyurl.com/mhe7) .
    | I'm guessing you have a grogram that's adding them again and again.
    | You'll have to find out which anti-spyware/trojan is doing this, and add
    | these sites to the "excludes" list.

    I don't think that's my problem. My Host files was make up from either SpyBot or
    a Prog I have called Fast IP . The file contains all of the sites in my
    Favorites folder. Here are a few things I noticed about the file:
    1. There is no listing for a248.e.akamai.net in the file
    2. MS update is listed as 207.46.130.111 support.microsoft.com #.url
    3. There are about 5 or 6 other sites that I also cannot connect to. They are
    not related to the Microsoft site. They are all listed correctly in the Host
    file.
    4. If I remove all of the Host files fron Windows I can't connect to any site
    even by typing in the URL and not using Favorites - which I really don't
    understand.

    If the Host file prevents connecting then with a Host file installed in Windows,
    I shouldn't be able to connect to any of my Favorites- yet I can get most all of
    them.

    olfart, Sep 8, 2003
  19. olfart

    trout Guest

    Yes, I'm sorry for not being more clear about that. The hosts file
    prevents connection by using the preface "127.0.0.1" before the site,
    which points to the local machine. See:
    http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/ for the explanation.
    This is separate from the function of storing 'good' IP's in order
    to access them quickly.

    trout, Sep 8, 2003
  20. olfart

    olfart Guest

    | Yes, I'm sorry for not being more clear about that. The hosts file
    | prevents connection by using the preface "127.0.0.1" before the site,
    | which points to the local machine. See:
    | http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/ for the explanation.
    | This is separate from the function of storing 'good' IP's in order
    | to access them quickly.
    | --
    | "Sorry for the confusion."

    That's OK. The only notation of 127.00.01 is at the end of the Host file for
    AutoDial.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

    olfart, Sep 8, 2003