Can't add a picture to new Win XP account name

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jerry Rivers, Dec 30, 2003.

  1. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    I have Windows XP Professional. It was installed clean on my
    C:\

    I created a new account in Control Panel>User Accounts and
    assigned Computer Administrator access.

    I tried to pick a picture for the account but an error box
    appeared which said "Automation Server can't create object".
    The only choice was to click OK.

    The account was created, but has no picture at all, just a
    blank spot with a "X" in the middle.

    I tried changing this account and I still get the same error.

    What can I do to put the picture I want on this account?

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    I am red-faced with shame. After a three-hour hunt, I
    discovered that I had done this to myself. Another MVP had
    told me how to disable the new Win XP FAX and Picture
    Previewer by going Start>Run>regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll

    I turned it back on with Start>Run>regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

    Just goes to show what damage you can do to yourself with
    side effects from O/S tweaks!

    Thanks everyone for their help!

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Dec 30, 2003