Can't access Windows Update after updating...Error message

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Flycaster, Jun 18, 2007.

  1. Flycaster

    Flycaster Guest

    XP with 2SP.

    Just updated via window's update. Got the blue screen (with dialog
    telling me that something may have went wrong with the download and
    installation...as best as I can remember) when I rebooted. Rebooted
    again and this time the DOS screen asked if I wanted to boot back to a
    previously working setup...said Yes.

    Tried to go back to Windows Update but got this error message:
    [Error number: 0x8DDD0007]
    You need to restart your computer to finish installing a program or
    updates. You cannot view or get other updates from the site until you
    restart.
    Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error
    number 0x8DDD0007) yourself.

    However, when I clicked on the link that was to give me a way to resolve
    the problem, the screen that opened (see below) didn't allow for any
    input. Computer seems to be working, but now I can't get anymore updates...

    Print | Close

    Problem description

    Applicable operating systems

    Resolutions

    Your answer is anonymous and is used to help improve content on this site.

    Flycaster, Jun 18, 2007

  2. What??

    Are you sure you're not a Google Groper?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 18, 2007

  3. Flycaster

    Flycaster Guest

    I have no idea what your answer means. As far as I can tell, it is of
    no help at all.

    To email, erase "forgetit"

    Flycaster, Jun 18, 2007
  4. Flycaster

    Alonzo Guest

    I've got that before ans still can't figure it out.

    Alonzo, Jun 18, 2007
  5. Flycaster

    meerkat Guest

    Read this page through...
    http://www.mcse.ms/message994868.html

    meerkat, Jun 18, 2007
  6. My condolescense.
    Even after a restart?
    May be time to check the calender of restore points for the next one past
    the accident ...
    No. Usenet is not anonymous. WTF did you cut&paste here? Did you copy the
    qeustion you asked on some website?

    Walter Mautner, Jun 18, 2007
  7. Flycaster

    Flycaster Guest

    Thanks Meerkat for the link. However, I have great fears about fooling
    around with regedit. Although I can follow the instructions, I wouldn't
    feel comfortable working in the registry. Then again, I guess I will
    have to do something or else I probably won't be able to get anymore
    Windows updates???

    To email, erase "forgetit"

    Flycaster, Jun 18, 2007
  8. Flycaster

    Flycaster Guest

    The cut and paste is is from a windows net screen that was supposed to
    help me with the problem, but I couldn't make any entries as the entry
    fields were missing....WTF
    To email, erase "forgetit"

    Flycaster, Jun 18, 2007
  9. Flycaster

    meerkat Guest

    If you go to Start/Run, and type in regedit...
    Find the offending line in the Registry.
    Rt/click on it, and Export it to your desktop.
    Delete the entry, then restart your machine.

    That should solve your problem...but, you can always
    return that entry to the Registry if you wish.

    Or as another poster says, do a System Restore to a
    time before you installed the Updates

    bw..

    meerkat, Jun 18, 2007
  10. Flycaster

    Flycaster Guest

    I think I have solved the problem. Instead of first going into the
    registry, I opted to do a restore as I thought this would be the easier
    way out. After a successful restore, I went to the Windows Update Web
    site to again dl the latest updates. However, this time I was still
    blocked from using the site with an error message stating that I
    couldn't install updates by using the Microsoft Windows Update Web site:
    Error number:0x80245003. Windows Update has encountered an error and
    cannot display the requested page. As explained by the MS KB for this
    error number, "This problem occurs because the redirector identification
    (redirectorID) number of the downloaded Wuredir.cab file is lower than
    the redirectorID number of the Wuredir.cab file in the
    %windir%\SoftwareDistribution folder."
    (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919749/en-us). After doing the
    workaround, I successfully dl'd the updates. Thanks all for your help.

    To email, erase "forgetit"

    Flycaster, Jun 18, 2007
  11. Flycaster

    Plato Guest