    IE 6 with win 98 using a cable modem. I even tried netscape and it did not
    work either. Any help would be great.

    Thanks

    Juice, Feb 21, 2004

  2. Well it could be one of three things, a problem with your Internet Service
    Provider,spyware, or a firewall. I have found that spyware can block you
    from reaching certain sites. If you are using a firewall check to see that
    some rules werent made by mistake that could block you from reaching those
    sites.

    Last, and this is most likely the cause, there seems to be a problem with
    earthlink's DNS. I am having very similar issues with Road Runner here in
    NYC where I can not access a lot of different sites. When I spoke to the
    Road Runner support, it was obvious I knew way more than they did about the
    problem and how to diagnose it, but they said there was an Earthlink DNS
    issue. Not sure why that would affect me because I am a RR user, but it was
    pointless arguing.

    The problem seems to be either a DNS issue or an Akamai issues that a lot of
    major websites run off of. Most of the websites i tried getting to seem to
    be running off of akamai.

    Your not alone not being able to access big portions of the Internet.

    BleepingComputer.com
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com

    The Website devoted to helping the novice computer user learn basic
    concepts of computing and how to solve computing problems quickly
    and easily.

    BleepingComputer.com, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Juice

    dbm Guest

    If you have used an Internet "speed up" program in the past, do a search on
    files with HOSTS in the filename -- then look for something like
    C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.txt . Open this file and see if it has
    the name of the program you used in it as a comment. Try changing the name
    (i.e. Ghosts). This will force use of the regular DNS system. Many times
    website names change and are not reflected in such a file unless you keep it
    up to date. I had this problem and opted to stop using that file and have
    not had the trouble since. Alternatively you can open this text file and
    comment out any line referring to the web sites you can't access.

    Hope this helps -- Dave

    dbm, Feb 22, 2004
  4. Juice

    Neil Guest

    Could be in your Hosts file with wrong IP

    http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/

    Neil, Feb 22, 2004