    All the TCP/IP settings appear to be OK on each PC, but I get a timeout from
    www.microsoft.com but most other sites appear to be OK
    Any suggestions?

    Guest, Nov 28, 2005

  2. Guest

    Malke Guest

    Since we don't know how you connect to the Internet, this is just a
    guess:

    Information from MVP Steve Winograd:

    This is a common problem with shared DSL connections that use PPP Over
    Ethernet (PPPoE). Here are some possible fixes. Any one of them
    should solve the problem:

    1. Install Windows XP Service Pack 1 or 2 on the ICS host computer.

    2. Find the right MTU setting on the client computer, as shown here:

    and then make the setting manually on the client computer, or use
    DrTCP to make it:

    http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html

    3. Download the free RASPPPoE program and install it on the host
    computer. Use it instead of XP's PPPoE program. Details at these
    sites:

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/adslpoe2.htm
    http://www.raspppoe.com

    See these sites for more information:

    Connectivity Problems on ICS Clients When You Use a PPPoE Connection on
    a Windows XP ICS Host
    -http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319661

    Troubleshooting MTU Size in PPPoE Dialin Connectivity -
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/794/router_mtu.html

    If this doesn't help and/or fit your situation, please see this link for
    the kind of details you should include in your next newsgroup post in
    order to get focused troubleshooting advice:

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Malke

    Malke, Nov 28, 2005