Can't Access Management Tool for MN-500

Discussion in 'Broadband Hardware' started by Dawg House Inc, Jan 19, 2008.

  1. After 4 years, my base station mgmt tool is suddenly inaccesible - no menu
    option in the Broadband Utility and I cannot access the page via IE
    (172.16.2.1).

    This was fine when I set it up initially. Then relocated and set it up for
    my parent's home and it was working fine. Currently, the Mgmt Tool is not
    accessible.

    I am able to access the internet. Everything seems to be working fine, but I
    can't get into the Mgmt tool.

    Config settings (to the best of my memory):
    - MAC Address filtering (all machines connected are added and able to
    connect to the internet without incident)
    - No WEP key used
    - I know the mgmt tool password, but can't get to the page that asks for it.

    So, my question is simple:
    "How do I gain access to the mgmt tool?"

    I am trying to do this support remotely, which adds to the complexity (from
    an ease of use standpoint). This problem was discovered while trying to
    utilize Remote Assistance in MSN Msger (then web cam connections in MSN
    Msger). I'm assuming right now that the port forwarding is not set up
    correctly. Regardless, I can't get into the base station mgmt tool to see
    what the settings are.

    What do I do?

    Thanks in advance.
    JCH

    Dawg House Inc, Jan 19, 2008

  2. Dawg House Inc

    Chris H Guest

    Chris H, Jan 20, 2008

  3. Chris, the IP is local (you can use 172.16.x.x or 192.168.x.x for local
    networks without incident). I know that isn't the problem as it was
    172.16.x.x for 4+ years.

    This problem has just suddenly raised its ugly head recently and due to
    Microsoft's support cycle limitations, its been tough finding answers about
    this problem.

    So, in my sheer frustration and time limitations, I was forced to reinstall
    the MSBB Networking Utility and resetting the router. I'm able to do what I
    want now (even with the 172.16.x.x. IP, but I then changed it back to the
    standard 192.168.2.x format), I'm just having problems getting the port
    forwarding set up. No idea how to get the port-forwarding set up for MSN
    Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop (I want to connect to a single specific
    machine).

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    JCH
    --
    Dawg House Inc.
    "We live in it, therefore, we know it!"

    Dawg House Inc, Jan 20, 2008
  4. Dawg House Inc

    Barb Bowman Guest

    forward port 3389 to the destination computer's IP.

    however, if you really want your father to have all the protection
    and security a modern router provides, you should replace the
    router. WEP is not safe.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jan 20, 2008
  5. Dawg House Inc

    Chris H Guest

    Follow Barb's suggestions, and you could always just reset the router to
    "factory." Use the little pin hole on the back with a paperclip until the
    lights flash (alternating orange and green, I think, it has been too long).
    This would set everything back to default with a 192.168.2.1 (I'm thinking,
    might be 1.1) IP address which you could then administer (and change the IP
    if you want) from the browser address line.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H, Jan 20, 2008