    aniramca Guest

    Are they all different? or is it just a case of Coke vs. Pepsi?
    Any advantage or superiority of one over the others?

    aniramca, Jan 14, 2007

  2. Yes. In fact just for the Case of Nikon VR in slr lenses there are now
    three different versions in the field.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 14, 2007

  3. aniramca

    M-M Guest

    I think they are all very different, and you cannot say one camera's IS
    (VR) = another's.

    I believe it's like saying all cars are the same because they have 4
    wheels and get you where you are going.

    I have not read up on all of them but I know Nikon's VR will distinguish
    between many types of intentional and unintentional movement. I would
    like to see some comparisons.

    M-M, Jan 14, 2007
  4. Indecision is the key to flexibility.

    Ockham's Razor, Jan 14, 2007
  5. aniramca

    Skip Guest

    Yes.

    Skip, Jan 15, 2007
  6. Not quite. in just the slr lenses themselves there would appear to be at
    least three different versions. There are at least two different versions
    just denoted as VR and now a new VRII has been offered. You can see
    differences in the original designation in different lenses by Nikon's
    recommendation as whether to use or not use VR on a tripod.

    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXZy&p_li=&p_topview=1

    There were some graphs I recently found, on the .jp site I think, which
    also illustrated this, but I can't find the link just now.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 15, 2007
  7. aniramca

    M-M Guest

    That page says my lens should have VR off when on a tripod. The manual
    that came with the lens says additionally it should be on if the tripod
    head is not secured.

    M-M, Jan 15, 2007
  8. aniramca

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    The point of these technologies is to reduce blurriness from camera
    shake. If the camera can't shake, the VR/SR/whatever will compensate for
    moving subjects, or subjects which the lens/camera thinks are moving.
    You typically don't want it to do that.

    Paul Mitchum, Jan 15, 2007
  9. aniramca

    M-M Guest

    I thought the VR/IS system responded strictly to camera movement, with
    subject movement having no influence.

    M-M, Jan 15, 2007
  10. Yes, for most systems, but the electronic image stabilisation used in
    movie cameras and some digital cameras (e.g. for video modes) does rely
    purely on the image from the sensor, and therefore could be fooled by
    subject movement.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 16, 2007
  11. Just what implementation of image stabilization in still cameras
    compensates for subject motion? Nikon's does not.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 16, 2007
  12. Nikon Coolpix 8400 in video mode, for one. It uses what it calls
    "electronic VR".

    If you make a movie of a group of people walking in the same direction you
    can see the VR sometimes moving with the people (so that the people are
    steady) and then jumping back (as its stabilisation limit is reached).

    Of course, you might call it a movie camera in that mode....

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 16, 2007
  13. Turned out these were from the pdf copies of the manuals for my lenses I
    recently dl'd from the Nikon USA site. The applicable pages have been
    excised here:
    http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/dSLR/pano/index.html

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 16, 2007
  14. aniramca

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    That's my point. If the camera's not shaking, then the IS system could
    be fooled by moving subjects. That's why manufacturers tell you to turn
    off IS if the camera's mounted on a tripod.

    Paul Mitchum, Jan 16, 2007
  15. aniramca

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Then the next time your camera is mounted on a tripod, leave the IS on
    and see what happens. :)

    Paul Mitchum, Jan 16, 2007
  16. aniramca

    acl Guest

    Since most of those systems work by using gyroscopes (or some sort of
    accelerometer, let's not get hang up on terminology), they'll have a
    hard time detecting subject motion, I think.

    acl, Jan 16, 2007
  17. aniramca

    M-M Guest

    I did and nothing happened. Perhaps all IS systems are not alike.

    M-M, Jan 16, 2007
  18. Err, no. Your typical IS system works by having some sort of motion
    sensor, an accelerometer or something, measure the motion of the
    lens/camera, and move actuators to compensate. They would work just fine
    with the lens cap on on the camera. Or the shutter closed.

    Turning the IS off when tripod mounting is to prevent the IS system from
    going into some sort of runaway feedback loop based on spurious
    "vibrations" (from noise in the accelerometers or some such), and
    _adding_ vibrations rather than taking them away.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 16, 2007
  19. aniramca

    J. Clarke Guest

    How? The IS in most still cameras uses accelerometers and/or gyros to
    sense camera motion. Unless the subject is an apatosaurus shaking the
    ground or something there's no way for the subject to "fool" the IS.
    More like the IS algorithms are predicated on a particular response curve
    (there's always lag in any feedback control system--it may be small but
    it's there) and the tripod by changing the system mass changes the response
    curve, possibly leading to overcorrection.

    J. Clarke, Jan 16, 2007
  20. aniramca

    Skip Guest

    It depends on the lens. With Canon, the first generation of IS needed to be
    turned off when the lens/camera was on a tripod. The second (or third,
    depending on how you counted) did not.
    I have a 28-135 IS, part of the first gen. and I've seen the, ahem,
    interesting results when IS is left on using a tripod.

    Skip, Jan 17, 2007