Canon Zoombrowser Replacement?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I recently purchased the Canon A70 PowerShot. Camera seems
    to work great but the software from Canon does not. The program Zoombrowser
    does not run, but gives me two error messages: (1) "Unspecified error" and
    then (2) an invalid page fault below:

    ZOOMBROWSER caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at
    0187:bff9db61. Registers blah...blah....

    I contacted Canon and they gave me a detailed procedure for uninstalling the
    program, which I followed to the letter (including deleting it from the
    Registry). But after reinstalling, I get the same error message.

    I can plug the camera into the USB (1) port, and using other software
    (Picture It Express) I can download the pictures from the camera. But I
    really wanted to see what the Canon software was like. Can anyone tell me
    if I
    should even bother trying to get the Canon Software to run? Can the Canon
    programs
    do anything that Picture I Express cannot?
    I have also seen folks suggest getting a card reader and just dropping the
    pictures
    from the memory card onto your hard drive. Is that a better option? I have
    USB 1 ports
    so the transfer is a tad slow for a bunch of pictures, but not too bad.

    FYI, I am running Win98SE on a Pentium 3. Have had no other problems like
    this
    with other software (I also have Visioneer Scanner installed on parallel
    port).

    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Bob

    Bob, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Bob

    Bob Hatch Guest

    Other than being a slow, non-intuitive, poorly designed and mostly non
    useful POS I think the Canon Software is great, as long as it's on someone
    else's computer.

    Can the Canon
    Don't know. I use ACDSee and Photoshop 7.
    I've used USB 1 to download thousands of pictures. Went to USB2 about a year
    ago on both my computers that we download to. Buy a USB 2 pci expansion
    card. It will have drivers that will work with 98 SE. There is no way I
    would use the camera to download with. A card reader is way better, easier,
    faster, etc.
    Yes, get a card reader. Use the Canon CD as a coaster for the coffee table.

    Bob Hatch, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Bob

    Birk Binnard Guest

    I gave up on Zoom Browser a while ago for similar reasons. Now I use
    FotoTime which is a free product with excellent reliability. I also found
    that it was much easier/quicker/faster to transfer images from the CF card
    by using a USB attached CF card reader.

    Note that if you get a card reader it is always best to reformat the card in
    the camera, and not using your PC.

    Birk Binnard, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Bob Hatch wrote:

    /snip
    But not before you installed the TWAIN drivers ;-)
    Btw. I use irfanview (freeware) to download directly from the camera. I do
    have a card reader, but got sick of constantly opening the hatch and
    exit/reinsert the card. I'm faster with my USB extension for the camera.
    www.irfanview.com

    Good luck
    H.N.

    Herbert Nagler, Dec 23, 2003
  5. Bob

    Randy Rhine Guest

    I agree....FotoTime is a nice product. Except...I don't think it's free
    anymore. The last time I went to download the latest version, it was a
    trial that only ran for 30 days before you had to purchase a key to
    unlock it. Maybe they still have a free version, and I just couldn't
    find it.

    rr

    Randy Rhine, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Bob

    Mark B. Guest

    No. It's buggy and prone to crash.

    Can the Canon
    Don't know anything about Picture I Express, but all you need is a decent
    photo editor like JASC Paint Shop Pro or PS Elements.
    Absolutely. Much faster, and you needn't worry about draining the
    batteries.
    Still not as slow as transferring directly from the camera.
    Go with the external reader.

    Mark

    Mark B., Dec 23, 2003
  7. Bob

    Mark B. Guest

    Not necessary with a card reader.

    Mark

    Mark B., Dec 23, 2003
  8. Bob

    Christian Guest

    It might be overkill for your camera but I would seriously consider
    switching to BreezeBrowser. It is SOOO much better than the Canon
    software. You can also use their free Downloader software (there's a pro
    version which costs money and has extra features).

    Christian, Dec 23, 2003
  9. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I think that part of the installation worked (along with some standalone
    Canon software like fileviewer). Anway, I can download easily to PictureIt
    or the Kodak "Imaging" software, so this is not a problem. Still, card
    reader sounds like the way to go. Not sure if I need to upgrade to USB 2
    pci card with a card reader though.

    Bob, Dec 23, 2003
  10. Bob

    Bob Hatch Guest

    It, the USB 2 and USB 2 card reader, will be *significantly* faster. It all
    depends on how much your time is worth and your level of patience. My wife
    tells me that patience is not one of my virtues.

    Bob Hatch, Dec 23, 2003
  11. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Thanks for the input.
    OK, it is unanimous, I will shed no tears over the Zoombrowser, and I will
    get a card reader.
    Saves me having to try to talk to the beleaguered Canon support folk.

    Folks mentioned a couple of programs for replacing the Canon stuff, but I
    wondered what I
    need just to do some basic clean up before developing/printing digital
    photos. I have used the
    simple Pictiure It Express to scan in pictures and change
    contrast/brightness, get out the redeye, crop, etc. Is something like Pant
    Shop a much more sophisticated program for doing this sort of stuff? I had
    a version of Paint Shop many years ago (I think it was free....), and I
    remember it could do quite a bit; probably much advanced now.
    I assume Photoshop or ACDsee costs some money? I see from the Fototime web
    site that it will cost after 30days (the archiving function in Fototime Pro
    looks useful....).
    Guess maybe I will see what Paint Shop is like these days....

    Bob, Dec 23, 2003