    What will be the deciding factor, the camera or the photog?

    Good Luck,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, May 16, 2008

  2. Dudley Hanks

    me Guest

    Who cares?

    me, May 16, 2008

  3. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    I think you've got a point, there.

    Grin,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, May 17, 2008
  4. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Enquiring minds just have to know!

    Grin,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, May 17, 2008
  5. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    A photographer after my own heart...

    Dudley Hanks, May 17, 2008
  6. Dudley Hanks

    Chris H Guest

    I agree... however the better photographers tend to be enthusiasts ( or
    turn pro) and end up buying better equipment.

    So "all the best photographers use the D3 or D300" (sorry don't know the
    equivalent Cannon models) Therefore many who aspire to doing better
    photographs will see what the great and the good do (and the kit they
    use) and also aspire to the D3 or D300. This is why the major DSLR
    companies associate with the "best" photographers.

    First you have to be able to see a good picture.
    That is the photographers skill irrespective of camera

    Then you have to know how to take the photograph
    Again that is the photographers skill largely irrespective of camera

    Where the camera comes in is: the better the camera/lens the more
    options you have for taking the photo.

    If I had a good 600mm lens and a D3 I could take pictures in the evening
    I have no hope of taking with my 18-70 and D70

    It is a case of those with more art and skill can get the best results
    form the camera. The better the spec of the camera the more they can do.

    As it is I haven't used the D70 to it's fullest potential yet so whilst
    a D3 would make me feel better I doubt it would improve my photographs
    much other than the technicalities of less noise and more resolution and
    possibly better colour etc

    Chris H, May 17, 2008
  7. As far as I am concerned, I believe that with any major brand that has
    stood the test of time (Canon and Nikon both qualify) the photographer
    using the camera has a far greater effect on the quality of the
    pictures than what brand.

    Also, even between models, the big variables are in automatic modes.
    If you use the cameras in manual mode than both brands are pretty much
    equivalent, and between models in each line they will be about the
    same in image quality.

    Also, the difference in image quality with various lenses, the
    differences are most apparent at the fastest aperture. Stop down a
    few stops, and most lenses these days will be about the same.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, May 17, 2008
  8. Dudley Hanks

    Ray Fischer Guest

    You're an idiot. There won't be a "final word" until one of the two
    companies has gone out of business. Probebly not then, either.
    You don't even know what "better" means so why are you asking?

    Ray Fischer, May 18, 2008
  9. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Lighten up.

    Have you ever heard of satire? Tongue in cheek?

    I'm not talking about a literal comparison, just a fun little contest to
    test the photographer instead of the camera.

    Hope you'll join the fun.

    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, May 18, 2008
  10. Dudley Hanks

    Petri Lopia Guest

    Well... That's one way to get peoples visit at your website...
    Canon vs. Nikon... That's really easy to answer... Best is ???on!

    Petri Lopia, May 18, 2008
  11. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Do the tripods have to be identical as well?

    Grin,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, May 18, 2008
  12. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Dudley Hanks, May 18, 2008
  13. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    I've noticed, George, and their ability to work within the broader community
    is questionable as well.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, May 18, 2008
  14. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    The results have to be posted somewhere. There's no advertising on my site,
    and I don't charge anything for people to use it. I absorb the costs
    myself. Can you think of a better place?

    I thought not.

    The challenge stands.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, May 18, 2008
  15. Dudley Hanks

    Paul Furman Guest

    I submitted a shot with my RAZR V3c 1.3 Megapixel cell phone. It's
    funny, the exif data always says 1/21 second shutter speed and reports
    no focal length, f/stop or ISO. I guess it adjusts ISO to get the
    exposure right. All photos also say "no flash" :)

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, May 18, 2008
  16. Dudley Hanks

    Ray Fischer Guest

    I see that you're up to your usual standards of intellectual discourse
    and honesty. Maybe when you grow up you'll be able to contribute something
    of substance.

    Ray Fischer, May 18, 2008