Canon to introduce new straps with upcoming cameras.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 8, 2007.

  1. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 8, 2007

  2. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Matt Ion Guest

    Hmm, never had a problem with the straps on my Rebel G or 300D... am I
    missing something?

    Matt Ion, Sep 9, 2007

  3. Before getting a Canon, all my cameras had Nikon straps. The best cheap
    strap the local camera store had were Nikon (except that I recycled the far
    too thin and light Mamiya 645 strap onto my Rollei TLR, where it works
    well). But the strap that came with the 5D is actually better than the Nikon
    straps.

    So Rita's simply wrong here.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 9, 2007
  4. Interesting, Nikon provides the exact same camera strap design that Canon
    supplies with all its inexpensive PowerShot cameras (minus that tacky yellow
    stitching). Luckily the printing, done with a latex-based ink, was easy to
    scrape off on my camera strap so I didn't have that amazingly annoying corporate
    logo around my neck. If any company wants me to be their walking billboard
    they'll have to pay me $500 weekly.

    NotaFreeBillboard, Sep 9, 2007
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    MadHatter Guest

    I've never used the provided straps. However, I'd be willing to
    change that if I could command that kind of advertising fee.

    MadHatter, Sep 9, 2007
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Paul Furman Guest

    I'm busy scraping the felt Nikon D200 logo off the strap
    :)
    Now I just need some quick release clips.

    Paul Furman, Sep 9, 2007
  7. Not exactly a novelty, that.

    A couple of days ago I thought it'd be a good idea to again adjust where
    the 5D straps contact the metal holders.... for every 1000 shutter
    actuations, it must get an equal amount of tugs/bounces by shoulders and
    arms.

    John McWilliams, Sep 9, 2007
  8. Not exactly a novelty, that.

    A couple of days ago I thought it'd be a good idea to again adjust where
    the 5D straps contact the metal holders.... for every 1000 shutter
    actuations, it must get an equal amount of tugs/bounces by shoulders and
    arms.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

    A joke thread hiding an enormous gem of wisdom. Excellent point. Thanks!

    (Actually, it's not so much of a problem here, because I almost always keep
    my camera in a shoulder bag and only pull it out to shoot. Still, that
    sounds like something that really ought to be checked.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 9, 2007
  9. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    RichA Guest

    If you camera has those crummy chrome plated brass eyelets, you are
    BEGGING for a disaster if you use a standard strap (no give). The
    eyelets will basically wear out. I've noticed most of the newer
    cameras use the slotted eyelets (steel) so the only thing that can
    wear is the strap itself.

    RichA, Sep 9, 2007
  10. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Paul Furman Guest

    Logo free and I walked over the hill to the hardware store for some
    clips. I have to say the clips are kind of annoying, they tend to get
    bunched up & in the way. And I feel like such a tourist walking around
    with the camera on a strap but it is convenient, I will use the strap
    for hiking and unclip it for walking around town.

    Paul Furman, Sep 9, 2007
  11. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Field&Stream Guest

    I wish the newer cameras would have taken a cue from Sony's earlier digicams.
    They have a rotating strap mount built right into the body of the camera. Many a
    time on my newer digicams where that damned strap won't easily flip out of the
    way, where my hand or controls are at, due to those steel slotted eyelets
    keeping the strap oriented in one direction. Sony's strap mount is well designed
    even though it rotates. That camera has been on many wilderness adventures with
    nothing but the strap holding it to my body most of the time. While crawling
    over glaciers, mountain-passes, or through swamps, the straps and mounts are
    still holding strong. No different than day-one.

    I keep trying to make or find some kind of clip with a swivel in it so I can
    improve those lousy fixed-position strap mounts and make them more like the
    Sony's. (A testament again to the fact that actual photographers have no part
    nor input in designing these newer cameras, other than where we put our money,
    only pencil-pushers have any say.) The problem being that any extra metal
    hardware to fix the problem would only add to the noise levels. Sony's earlier
    design being integral to the body of the camera doesn't have that problem.
    Perhaps if I got some of that "Plasti-coat" stuff and coated the metal hardware
    for it .... There has to be a way to fix what the camera-makers can't design
    properly. Something so simple and they even get that wrong.

    ..

    Field&Stream, Sep 9, 2007
  12. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Matt Ion Guest

    Still waiting for someone to tell me what's supposed to be wrong with my
    two Canon cameras' straps.

    Matt Ion, Sep 9, 2007
  13. You did, you just didn't realize you had the problem.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 9, 2007
  14. Good point!

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 9, 2007
  15. I wish you would stop your constant Nym-shifting already! Anyway, I do
    agree with you that this is probably a much better solution than putting a
    better strap in the box with the camera. One can only hope.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 9, 2007
  16. Let's see. You pay $4,100 for a camera and the damn strap continually gets
    in the way every time you want to shoot in the vertical orientation. I
    haven't had the problem with any of my Nikon bodies and I won't be having it
    with my Canon bodies. I know it doesn't make sense, but the Nikon strap
    naturally flows with one's movements.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 9, 2007
  17. They're too complicated for Rita to attach correctly?

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 9, 2007
  18. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Pete D Guest

    Never used a canon strap but I have been using a LowePro Gel Strap and it
    makes a huge difference especially when using a grip and flash, just
    brilliant.

    Pete D, Sep 9, 2007
  19. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Matt Ion Guest

    How do you know it makes a difference over the Canon strap if you've
    never used one?

    Matt Ion, Sep 9, 2007
  20. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Matt Ion Guest

    Hmmm, never been an issue with mine. Guess I'm just not klutzy enough.

    Could be a good marketing campaign for Nikon though... "Our straps are
    preferred by 3 out of 4 fumblefingered photogs!"

    Matt Ion, Sep 9, 2007