CANON - The Great Pretender

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nikonpro, Aug 19, 2004.

  1. How about plural possessive......as in something belonging to a group? Like,
    the peoples' clothes?

    William Graham, Aug 23, 2004

  2. nikonpro

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 23, 2004

  3. nikonpro

    Mark M Guest

    But that's consistent with what I'm saying in that the apostrophe does not
    indicate a plural.
    It indicates posession.
    An apostrophe never indicates a plural.
    :)

    Mark M, Aug 23, 2004
  4. OK....So you could say, "the pros' cameras", but you would put the
    apostrophe after the s.

    William Graham, Aug 23, 2004
  5. nikonpro

    Mark M Guest

    Now you're talkin'!

    Mark M, Aug 23, 2004
  6. Right now I'm looking at a poster I got from a Canadian cartoonist named
    Steve Notley. It's called: "BOB'S QUICK GUIDE TO THE APOSTROPHE, YOU
    IDIOTS."

    Brian C. Baird, Aug 23, 2004
  7. Sure, but it's not an integrated solution. It's a shutter and aperture
    controller for a 24x36mm medium-format back.

    Brian C. Baird, Aug 23, 2004
  8. nikonpro

    Mark M Guest

    And???

    Mark M, Aug 23, 2004
  9. There's no point to my stories, you know that.

    Brian C. Baird, Aug 23, 2004
  10. And after we all buy copies, it will be, "THE IDIOTS' QUICK GUIDES TO THE
    APOSTROPHE".

    William Graham, Aug 23, 2004
  11. nikonpro

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 23, 2004
  12. nikonpro

    brian Guest

    I'm not sure what you mean by "integrated", or why it would matter
    here. The Horseman body plus a digital back and a Nikon lens is a
    high quality full-frame digital SLR. Pure and simple. I'll admit the
    viewfinder is slightly unusual, but it nevertheless fullfills every
    possible requirement for being a true SLR.

    Brian
    www.caldwellphotographic.com

    brian, Aug 23, 2004
  13. GAH!!! NOOOOOO!

    Brian C. Baird, Aug 24, 2004
  14. nikonpro

    Prometheus Guest

    It's plural, not possessive.

    Incidentally, your news reader is broken, it is placing the text your
    are quoting after the signature; which means that my follow-up had to
    have it pasted back in. To explain: the function of the signature
    separator "-- " is to tell compliant news and mail software where the
    signature begins so that it does not needless include it.

    Prometheus, Aug 24, 2004
  15. nikonpro

    Skip M Guest

    If that were the case, then the accepted version of the singular would be
    "pro'." Since that is not the case, then "pros" is probably the correct
    plural.

    Skip M, Aug 24, 2004
  16. nikonpro

    Skip M Guest

    No, it's a plural, not a possessive.

    Skip M, Aug 24, 2004
  17. nikonpro

    Colin D Guest

    Oops - apologies for the balls-up there. A senior moment must've
    overtaken me. An abbreviation not ending in the last letter of the word
    is signalled with a full stop, not an apostrophe, as in 'misc.' and
    'etc.' but not in 'Dr' or 'Mr'.

    Having said that, perhaps it's being a bit picky to comment on
    grammatical, punctuation, and spelling mistakes in a NG post. But then,
    I find such mistakes as I spot tend to grab my attention. To me, they
    can overwhelm the intent of the message. I well remember a large poster
    that was displayed throughout the country (New Zealand) publicizing
    cancer week, soliciting donations to the cause. The heading, in huge
    letters was "PROSTRATE CANCER KILLS". I guess there were some red faces
    in the advertising department.

    Colin D.

    Colin D, Aug 24, 2004
  18. For anyone at all interested (Tony has me killfiled), the extra
    apostrophe syndrome has spread from Usesnet to web pages to ad copy.

    It's actually easy to sort out: To show possession, an apostrophe and an
    "s" are added to a noun, e.g., "The idiot's camera is a _______".

    As a contraction, you can sound out by separating the two words
    to see if it makes sense, esp. for "its". "It's a shame those idiots are
    bickering all the time." "The dog shook its coat."

    Lord, please don't hate me for this.

    John McWilliams, Aug 24, 2004
  19. nikonpro

    McLeod Guest

    You should quit while you're ahead. According to my english grammar
    book Dr., Mr., Ms., and almost every other title before a name has
    period following it.

    McLeod, Aug 24, 2004
  20. nikonpro

    Tony Spadaro Guest