    to trash Minolta and Pentax, who *really* deserve it!"

    I should point out, so people don't think that I'm a Republican, that he
    followed that statement with, "(THIS IS A JOKE, repeat, THIS IS A JOKE)."

    Steven M. Scharf, Aug 20, 2004

  2. nikonpro

    Steve Hix Guest

    Canon 1D mk II
    Leica R9
    Olympus E-1
    Hasselblad H1
    Contax 645AF
    Zorki 4

    Steve Hix, Aug 20, 2004

  3. nikonpro

    Steve Hix Guest

    They didn't seem to be quite up to speed with regard to marketing in the
    States back then.

    They seem to have begun trying with the introduction of ST801. Sort of a
    tricked-out Pentax screw mount SLR.

    They've done pretty well in medium format gear.
    I *think* Fujifilm was coming along here about that time. But I've been
    wrong before.

    Steve Hix, Aug 20, 2004
  4. Mike, in my 30 years as a very amateur photographer and camera collector,
    I've NEVER SEEN an Alpa 35mm SLR, but I've read they are great.

    What does a decent "user" Alpa cost these days?

    --Leigh in Santa Barbara, Calif.

    Leigh Marrin/KM6JE, Aug 20, 2004
  5. nikonpro

    John Guest

    Pro's don't use 35mm.

    RB67SD. Get back to quality and stop playing with toys.

    Regards,

    John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
    Please remove the "_" when replying via email

    John, Aug 20, 2004
  6. nikonpro

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    To hell with trashing Pentax and Minolta. It's time to go after the great
    grey totem. Let's trash Leica - after all, with the death of
    Cartier-Bresson, there are now no Leicas being used for photography. All
    ther remaining Leica owners won't put film through them as it lowers the
    value of their investment, and they might bend the hang tag.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 20, 2004
  7. nikonpro

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    SFB Douglas is still trolling around! And apparently the dweeb is still
    calling that pathetic site of his "dorkroompro". What a banana.
    Hey John - have you learned how to use your enlarger yet or is is still
    propping up your Yugo?
    We're still waiting for your groovy new usenet forum. What was it going to
    be?? rec.photo.all_the_stuff_john_cant_do.digital_35mm_and_take_good_pichers
    can't wait for a chance to post there, boyo, me lad. Sounds like a whinner.

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 20, 2004
  8. nikonpro

    nikonpro Guest

    One aims to please in life :)

    nikonpro, Aug 20, 2004
  9. nikonpro

    nikonpro Guest

    Sorry to disappoint you Toooony, I'm not even remotely famous, and my
    work usually ends up in media you are unlikely to read (as previously
    mentioned) - I have no books published - and I'm paid a pittance.

    But I've trundled through snow, mud, rain, shit and god knows what and
    my Nikons have never let me down.

    nikonpro, Aug 20, 2004
  10. nikonpro

    nikonpro Guest

    SHOOTING DIGITAL IN IRAQ

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6456-7033

    "When he first left for Iraq back in early 2003, Lowy took two D1X
    bodies, his 17-35mm lens, a Nikkor AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D ED-IF, a
    Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4D, a Speedlight SB-80DX flash, and – "just in
    case" – a Nikon FM2 film body"

    Doesn't it bring tears to your eyes boys? This guy obviously rocks -
    beers are on me.

    Nikon Rocks.

    (Thought of the day) Happiness is a F3/T+85/1.4 AiS

    nikonpro, Aug 20, 2004
  11. nikonpro

    Mark M Guest

    Numbers from reality do not agree with you.

    And...it gets tougher for Nikon--The 1D Mark II is the most sought-after pro
    body by far.

    Mark M, Aug 20, 2004
  12. nikonpro

    Mark M Guest

    It's the new George Preddy, folks.

    Mark M, Aug 20, 2004
  13. If what you want out of life is a plastic auto-everything camera which
    shoots dozens of frames-per-second, why don't you buy yourself a Super-8
    movie camera?

    Chris Loffredo, Aug 20, 2004
  14. nikonpro

    Charlie Self Guest

    John babbles:
    A pro is someone who gets paid for taking pictures. A pro uses any camera that
    does that job, regardless of size, brand or any other asinine personal biases
    spouted by other people.

    Charlie Self
    "Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
    Devil's Dictionary

    Charlie Self, Aug 20, 2004
  15. nikonpro

    NightStar Guest

    Oh hooray - Nikon is dead. *yawn* What are you - The photographic
    equivalent of the Nintendo fan-boy? Do you people have nothing better
    to do with your time?

    I too, have a Nikon... Always have, always will. Quite frankly I
    find them easier to use than other cameras, and trust the name. I
    might only be an amateur, but I know what I like - And it's Nikon.

    I'm biased - And I'll openly admit that! I've tried other cameras,
    and I'll keep going back to Nikon. However - I base MY opinion on the
    fact that I have tried other makes, and don't like them very much.

    Admittedly I haven't tried some of the other makes of cameras
    recently, but I'd rather not waste my time (and money) when I know and
    trust Nikon - While they may have problems, so do other makes, so it's
    all swings-and-roundabouts really.

    And with regards to Nikon being dead - I'd love to hear you out, if
    you knew what you were talking about!

    What do I know, I only use the damn thing!

    P.S. To the guy above - My old film Nikon camera used to get some
    stick - And kept on working... Although not nearly as much as you
    Pro's probably put the poor buggers though!

    NightStar, Aug 20, 2004
  16. nikonpro

    dylan Guest

    Are you sure it isn't THE George Preddy ?, or Georgette, Pedro Verne or
    Orville Wright ?, they are all the same anti Canon, pro Sigma person.

    dylan, Aug 20, 2004
  17. nikonpro

    Pål Jensen Guest

    The Contax was produced not the Pentax. There are no lens mount limitation
    for producing full-frame DSLR's.

    Pål Jensen, Aug 20, 2004
  18. nikonpro

    John Guest

    The only cameras I own that are more dependable than my FM2n's
    are my RB67SD and my 5X7 Linhof.

    John, Aug 20, 2004
  19. nikonpro

    Pål Jensen Guest

    Canon hasn't leaped ahead of Nikon. They have always been ahead of Nikon.
    The reason Nikon is loosing marketshare is the change from conservative
    products to innovative cameras for pro use. When I stared shooting in the
    mid 70's Nikon bodies where 5-10 years behind ALL the competition being late
    in introducing any feature. This was how pros wanted it in those days. In
    1979 Nikons pro offering was based on early 60's technology.
    With the acceptance of electronics and power dependence a company more into
    electronic wizzardry (Canon) was in a much better position than the most
    conservative slr manufacturer of them all (Nikon). In fact, Nikon has spend
    the last 20+ years in reinventing themselves and are no closer to Canon than
    ever. In this respect Nikon has been hugely sucessful. If it wasn't for
    Nikon pro base (due to a historical "accident") Nikon would have shared fate
    with Topcon and Miranda.

    Pål Jensen, Aug 20, 2004
  20. nikonpro

    John Guest

    He would have a much better opportunity of capturing something
    worth viewing !

    John, Aug 20, 2004